What a great hotel in a great ski area - I've been to many different resorts both in the Alps and over in Andorra and can safely say that this accomodation is by far the best I've experienced.
The apartment was well set out (lounge, kitchenette, bedroom, bathroom & balcony) and even included a fireplace in the lounge area for those cozy real-fire moments - though be aware that Flaine is a relatively expensive place to stay when it comes to food, drink & even firewood!
The Montsoleil is located just outside the main centre of Flaine, but is only a 3 minute bus ride away - the buses run regularly, are free of charge & there are stops immediately outside the front of the hotel, so don't worry about having to walk too far in uncomfortable boots.
The ski-in, ski-out issue seems to keep coming up throughout reviews for the Montsoleil, but it really isn't a problem. We're a mixed snowboarding/skiing family of varying experience and found it very convenient, as the actual access to the ski locker area (located on the 3rd floor) is accessed by coming off of an easy blue run (the piste "opale") - and skiing about 100m on a relatively flat green run up to the hotel. Admittedly, if you're a skier, you may have to use your poles and if you're on a snowboard, take a good run-up, but this shouldn't represent any real inconvenience to anyone of even minimal fitness. Access back on to the pistes can be skied, but again you'll have to push for about 50m (or just walk if you're on a snowboard) - after which, you'll be back on to "opale" and after a short run, be at the "gerats" chairlift - tres facile!
As for the staff of the Montsoleil, I know it's been said many times before on this site, but they really are very helpful, multilingual & friendly and are a real credit to the hotel.
The spa facilities are truly a welcome bonus and much appreciated after a hard day on the snow - but of course, get very busy, so be prepared to make some close friends!
The only other thing to be aware of is that your room may not be ready until 5pm, so be prepared to go for a little exploration of Flaine on the day you arrive, although there is an area you can leave luggage, plus in the late afternoon the hotel provides a little "welcome buffet" of hot beverages & cakes!
Finally, on the first night, we discovered that a previous guest had left a soft toy monkey behind - now safe with us, but if the owner would like to make themselves known we would be happy to organise a re-union!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A car-free resort which blends in perfectly with the surrounding countryside. Luxury residence with an easy access to the slopes "Top of the range", spacious and comfortable apartments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com and TripOnline SA so you can book your Pierre & Vacances Premium Residence Les Terrasses d'Eos reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pierre & Vacances Flaine Montsoleil Terrasses d`Eos Hotel Flaine
- Pierre And Vacances Flaine Montsoleil Terrasses d`Eos
- Residence Hotel Flaine