“Fun class; learnt a lot!”
Review of Ella Spice Garden

Ella Spice Garden
Ranked #4 of 34 things to do in Ella
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed 25 January 2018 via mobile

Chandika is an excellent teacher! He had very good English and kept the class fun and interactive. The spice garden itself could use some work. Otherwise we learnt how to make two curries, dhal, sampol and rice. We were a total of 8 with good energy and nice conversations over dinner. Recommended!

All reviews
"his mother"
in 4 reviews
"great cooking"

Reviewed 24 January 2018 via mobile

What an experience! The cooking class costs 2500rupees each but well worth it! The host is a very funny 20 something year old. He is very informative and knows his way around a kitchen. The class is hands on and really fun! We made garlic curry, potatoe curry, Dahl, rice, coconut sambal and Papadams. It was all delicious! We also learnt about different spices and cooking techniques. We would highly recommend.

Reviewed 23 January 2018

Attended an evening cooking school - and was extremely glad we did! Our group enjoyed a wander through the garden before we began cooking under the excellent guidance of our host. A discussion about the different spices used in Sri Lankan cooking was an excellent introduction, followed by a generously hands on class made even more interactive owing to the occasional (deliberate) "blank space" in our take-home recipe books to ensure we were paying attention! The meals we cooked were superb, and dinner as a group afterwards topped off the experience. Would highly recommend!

Reviewed 23 January 2018 via mobile

I went to spice garden after reading the reviews in trip advisor. I asked to book a place for the evening cooking class but i was told that the class of the next day was full already. So I asked to book a place for the day after but I was told that I was the first one interested and at least 4 people were needed for a class to take place. He suggested I give him my number and he would call me once more people show up. The next day passed and I received no calls so I assumed the class is not taking place. Nevertheless, next morning I called myself  just to make sure- my multiple calls were always met with an answering machine. So I went all the way to the spice garden only to learn that the class was full and I should try out tomorrow (which was not possible because we would leave the town)!! I am not sure he even remembered me and when I reminded him of our encounter he told me he tried calling me but it wasn't working- I seriously doubt it as I have a local number and had no such issues before- not to mention I never received any notificarion, message, or anything at all. I was obviously dissapointed as i was looking forward to it but he seemed to have no distress at all which is yet another reason to be dissapointed.If he forgot about me or he preferred to book a group so me being only 1 person was not conveninet I would prefer to be told about it, rather than hear bad excuses..

1  Thank Magi S
See more reviews
Reviewed 23 January 2018

We all love our food particularly curries so this was on our definitely-to-do list. We tried to call first however it's best to simply go on the day to see if they have space as its very popular. Five of us travelling together along with another couple to make 7 went to the evening class which starts at 5 with a small cup of sweet chai tea and an explanation of the different spices used in Sri Lankan cooking. I'm an ex-chef so was particularly keen to learn how to reproduce some of the amazing food we have been eating since we've been in Sri Lanka. Chandigarh, our host and teacher was truly wonderful; knowledgeable, patient and very funny, he has a deft touch and great sense of comic timing. The booklet and interactive slow pace is actually a very good teaching method to really absorb both the methods and information being presented. The kitchen was very clean as was the dining area. It was a long night with 2 1/2 to 3 hours on your feet however the result was a wonderful meal that we could all be proud of. I did feel sorry for our driver the next day though as the garlic curry certainly had some explosive effects! There are lots of cooking classes in Ella right now but Ella Garden deserves it's reputation.

1  Thank FoodieNZ50