“Terrible, terrible, terrible”

Suwadivi Ayurveda Health Care
Ranked #3 of 7 Spas & Wellness in Ella
Reviewed 17 August 2015 via mobile

Right, here goes. The guy who managed our hotel recommended this and we trusted him - mistake one as he, as everyone does in Ella, was getting a kick back for recommending. We were in two minds about going after reading the mixed reviews, but figured that there must have been a mix up. There are two places in Ella with very similar names. One is a small shop on the way up to this place. This place - the 'proper' place - is a big ayurvedic centre about 50m up the hill, and down a side road.
We were talked into going for the hour package. Mistake two - the packages the 'doctor' offers seem to be tourist specials which are really a con. My partner and I got massaged together. First, what could only be described as a head rub, not a massage. Then a greasy all over body rub - not a massage - and two lotions slapped on your face and wiped off. The young girls had no skill and topped it all off by asking for tips.
In summary, there are much better places to go in Ella - just trust these reviews and avoid the two places with similar names!

3  Thank Suzy B

Reviewed 1 August 2015

Chose a 1hr 'foot massage' for 1500 rupees. The room itself was dingy and smelly. A bare ligĥbulb lit a grubby back room. Every surface was greasy. The bed was slippy with grease, without a pillow. Was told to 'change' into an oily rag. At this point I had to clarify I only wanted a foot massage, as there was evidently a breakdown in communication. In hindsight I should've left then.

Masseur's technique was non-existent, basically a continuous calf rub. My partner's masseur crossed the line of privacy and made her extremely uncomfortable.

To cap it all, after 25 mins it was 'done', and was charged full price, as the stated price was for 30 minutes! I paid up just to get out of there. Disgusting experience.

1  Thank Andrew L
Reviewed 12 March 2015 via mobile

I'm so confused by the poor reviews!! Maybe as there are two the other reviewers went to a different place?! The one I went to appears to be run by a husband and wife team. The full body massage lasted for the full hour and literally covered the whole body from fingers to toes!! I had climbed Adams Peak the day before and the lovely masseuse really worked hard on my aching limbs :-) in fact, it was so good, I'm already booked in to go back tomorrow for another massage. Don't miss!

5  Thank Hannah L
Reviewed 4 February 2015

My partner and I booked the one hour package here for 3700 each. We had reasonable expectations after reading mixed reviews, but having climbed Adam's Peak the day before, we were in need of a massage. The package was meant to include a head massage, full body massage, and facial. The head massage involved smelly oil being rubbed through our hair for ten minutes. The body massage was perfunctory - despite us both having sore calves, the masseuses didn't appear to realise this. The facial involved two different products applied to our faces and then wiped off. The whole hour wasn't used, and our masseuses were pushy in their request for tips. No showers were offered to clean the oil from our hair.

Overall, a disappointing and expensive experience that didn't seem to involved any particular Ayurvedic methods.

To note, there are actually two centres with the same name. The "real" one is on the right down a driveway as you walk up the hill from the main street.

5  Thank mizzSK
Reviewed 15 January 2015

Do you want all of the maladies you have and will ever get to be a fading memory... you just have to do what the "doctor" in this center tells you to do. Of course, this will mean that you should buy their stuff and stop consulting other physicians. The prices are quite high, a similar pack of black pepper or cinnamon in Zanzibar cost a twentieth of the price here (I was there August 2014).
I strongly advise that you do not waste your time here.
I stated that there is no entrance fee. There isn't but tips are expected.

2  Thank mazda65