All reviewshot waterquiet locationsri lankan foodlovely familyrecommend this placetwo nightsbeautiful placewifihostskandy
Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

Everything was fine: located near the Station, 5 min. by feet. Most friendly staff. Welcome-Drink AND Cake. They were so helpfull. Nice balcony with view. Very good breakfast. The Bus stops 100 Meters in Front of the Hotel, so you can catch a good Seat :-)

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 March 2017 via mobile

We stayed at this beautiful place for 3 weeks. Intended on staying only a few days and then move on. We loved it so much we stayed. Priantha and his family were so welcoming and hospitable. The best Sri Lankan food! They also taught us a few of our favorite dishes and we still cook them regularly at home. Such a lovely family that made out trip unforgettable! This place changed our lives. I proposed to my wife down the road at the waterfall and we now have a daughter that we named Ella!! Thanks so much to Priantha and family!! Couldn't recommend this place enough!

Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 February 2017

We've stayed in this type of guesthouse in just abut every Asian country, from Mongolia to Myanmar, and the Sun Top Inn ticks all the boxes, making it the perfect example of what a travellers' rest should be. Located a very short walk from the railway station and the buzzing main drag, it is nevertheless a quiet and peaceful retreat from the hubub just 100 metres away. The room was large and spotless with a bit of a colonial feel about it with a private balcony, double French doors and a large bed-encompassing mozzie net, as well as a lovely old wooden dresser and ceiling fan. OK, the bathroom, like every other Asian bathroom has a slightly wobbly pedestal sink and toilet but the shower was magnificent - hot water and plenty of it, remarkably soothing after our 8 mile hike to Little Adam's Peak and the Nine Arches railway bridge. The all important WiFi worked a treat and there is a large, cool but sheltered patio on the second floor with plenty of charging points for UK plugs and USB.
Breakfast was served in the covered garden terrace and it was the best one we've had so far in Sri Lanka, with fresh juice, curd and coconut honey, fried eggs, sausages and toast, tea or coffee (good, strong brew), all served by a really friendly and charming young guy who was always there to help us when we needed him. My wife did a cooking masterclass at the owner's other hotel (the Sun Breeze) and she was taken there by one of the young lads in the guesthouse's own tuk tuk. He aso took me there later so I could eat the curries that Sheila had cooked (see my review for the Sun Breeze).
All in all a great experience and a very nice place to stay. I gave it four stars rather than five only because they don't sell beer on the premises, but this is because the licence fee is quite steep and to be honest there is a bar and off licence less than 5 minutes away. No worries.

Room Tip: Book in advance if possible.
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mikecrome
Reviewed 2 February 2017 via mobile

STOLEN MONEY FROM OUR ROOM

We stayed 2 nights - arriving at night. The accommodation is ok for the money and the owners were welcoming.
However what happened to us was that some of our money disappeared from our room! I myself am missing more than 300 EUR and my friend 100 USD. We can tell almost certainly that it happened here as we checked our money the previous day and all was ok. Very sad :(.
So be carefull!!!

Stayed: January 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jan S
suntopinn, Owner at Sun Top Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2017

DON'T WRITE FAKE REVIEWS. If you have lost such a big amount of money why didn't you complaint to us. Even with out telling one word why did you checked out. More than 15 years of history no one complaint about stealing our staff do not do such bad things.and if this happened no body leave with out telling them.and we are very close to the police you could have make a complaint against us.
You write this bad review you came and got the room and when you checked out asked discount and we didn't give you. Then you were very angry and brought our new room towel and cleaned your bike with the towel. Then we asked you to be polite. This is how you behave to get revenge. We shame of you . Behave well.

Reviewed 26 January 2017 via mobile

This place is really close to main street. Hot showers.varied breakfast choices included and really good sized portions. The staff are helpful and even opened up for breakfast half hour early for me so i could catch my bus. Good roms with moszie nets. Cannot fault it.

Stayed: January 2017, travelled solo