All reviewsgreat locationwifi strengthcar windscreenhuge tvsand pitwell equippedbedroomed unitthe kitchenshort walk from the lakebrilliant stayhandy locationgreat showerbusiness tripcooking facilitieswalking distanceheat pumpfriendly hosts
Reviewed 22 February 2017

i only stay wanaka for one night, it is a lovely town. it is easy to walk from bus stop to the motel. Derek is so nice to allow us to leave our luggage in the morning and then we hang around to explore the city. In the evening, we buy food from the nearby NEW WORLD supermarket and cook in our fully-equiped lovely room. The kitchen hardware is so GOOD!
In the motel, there are many facilities for the children and there is super user-friendly BBQ facility. There are many lavender at the entrance of motel, and many iceberg rose near the motel, so beautiful. You can see my photos!
At night, you can see many stars in the sky! I really miss the night stay at alpine Wanaka.
The most surprising thing is that, I told Derek we will take yello! to tarras the next day, I have not expect that he will come in the morning and help me double confirm what time the taxi will come to take me. He keeps contacting taxi driver to make sure I will not miss the taxi! HOW WARM HE IS ! I DEFINITELY will suggest alpine Wanaka to everyone around me. I have several wechat “New Zealand travel group”, I have strongly commended this wonderful lovely motel to everyone in the group. In the future, if I visit NZ again, I will come to Wanaka again, come to this cute motel again!

• Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

Very helpfull and kind service.the place is clean and tidy. The location is perfect. If you are in wanaka so youll be definitely pleased from this wonderful motel. Thank you very much for everything!e

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

I booked two nights at the Alpine Motel to attend a friends wedding.
Around a week before my arrival, I received an email from the manager reconfirming my booking and he mentioned that reception hours are 8AM - 8PM, if arriving after 8pm, then I would need to contact them to make arrangements to check-in.
I arrived in Wanaka with the shuttle at 1pm, there was nobody there, only a sign asking to call a number if reception is unattended.
I called the number and the manager (Derek) answered and I told him I was at the Motel, Derek's response was, oh sorry I'm having lunch so as my receptionist. You should have said you were coming at 13:00. But hang on a sec why would I say if I got an email saying otherwise?
Anyways Derek finished the phone call saying that there was nothing he could do and said:"you seat there on the sun until 13:30 when my receptionist is back from lunch".
Nice one Derek...
Meanwhile another guest arrived, so we were two waiting, the receptionist arrived at 13:30 and asked if we were there to check-in, we said yes and she said just give me a moment and I'll come and get you.
20 minutes later she was ready to check us in. Much for our surprise, the rooms were unlocked and we knew the room number because the Alpine Motel advises the room assigned to you via email. So good ole mate Derek could have just said maybe just maybe instead of sending me to seat outside under the sun, to go to the room assigned to me?
The room is spacious, there's a small kitchenette, mine had a queen plus 1 single bed.
Everything apart from the tv and carpet are very old and in desperate need of an update.
Cleanliness was below average -there was mould on the window in the bathroom and kitchen (a lot) and I also had food crumbs from previous guest in the mini fridge.
Some other people here mentioned the noise and I agree some people can be quite loud and you'll hear it.
Location is great - short walk to the lake, restaurants, supermarket, etc.
It was a cheap accommodation, so if you're thinking in staying there, understand that you get what you paid for.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo
Derek J, Owner at Alpine Motel Wanaka and Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2017

Flavia,
We feel your review is your opinion and we disagree with it.
In regards to check-in: The email which you refer to about the office hours. To quote our email;
"Check In is From 2pm Onwards. Our office hours are 8am - 8pm, you will need to contact us please if you need to Check In after 8pm. Please note we have no Night Porters."
Note that it specifically states check in is from '2pm onwards' Of Course we had no notification of your early check in or we would have had your room ready for you! hence why Derek said you should have let us know about checking in early. We also provide a late check-out of 11am, so 2pm onwards is important to ensuring the rooms are clean & tidy also aired out before our next guests check in at the industry standard time of 2pm.
In the sun would have not been true as we have umbrellas and a huge! veranda. Our receptionist has to check all rooms before people are allowed into rooms, and this would take her the 20 minutes.
In regards to Derek putting you into your assigned room we can not do that until we know the cleaners have finished the rooms & unless we are notified of an early check-in, we naturally presume we have until 1.30pm - 2pm to finish said rooms.
We pride ourselves on providing the best for our price range - Sky TV Channels, Air Conditioning, Great outdoor areas. We are updating our rooms as we can. We have just recently done 4 complete renovations & installed new carpet and T.V's in another 3 including yours.
Regards Crystal

Reviewed 14 February 2017

Bit of a modernisation could help but I suspect the price would reflect that. Clean tidy and friendly service all went well. Play area, sand pit for the young ones very near town, shops. Could not help feel shower and toilets though would benefit from a spruce up.

Room Tip: all seem much the same
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 February 2017

We spent two nights at the motel. The owner, Derek is incredibly enthusiastic and helpful, and gave us lots of suggestions of activities, walks and places to eat. We were a bit surprised about the location, being right on a busy roundabout, but the rooms are quiet. The kitchen was tidy and well equipped, even if it did look like 1975 came to visit. It had a good sized fridge. The bathroom in our room was quite tiny but clean, and the shower water was hot. My kids loved being able to jump on the trampoline and the bbq area was a good option for cooking.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled with family