“Great ensuite facilities, pity about communal kitchen” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Base Backpackers Wanaka

Base Backpackers Wanaka
Ranked #41 of 47 Speciality Lodging in Wanaka
Malaysia
“Great ensuite facilities, pity about communal kitchen”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2012

If you're after a young, party hostel, this is your place.

The rooms are clean and facilities are top quality. Kitchen practices on the other hand is disappointing. It's like university living all over again, washing up after irresponsible people who leave dirty dishes and communal areas dirty.

There is CCTV in the kitchen to monitor bad behaviour but I wonder if anyone is reprimanded.

But, plus points - great location and reasonable noise levels to get good sleep.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2012 via mobile

My friend and I stayed in this hostel on the night of the A&P show in Wanaka. So before I say more, I want to point out that some of the noise may have been attributable to this, annual event.

Overall, base is in a great location in wanaka, two streets back from the main high street. There is no parking directly outside, but free parking is available within a five minute walk.

There is an Internet cafe, a bar and kitchens available within the building. We decided to take advantage of the global gossip wifi and used this in the room with ease.

The shared facilities seemed pretty good, but the kitchen is closed over night and so you have to be prepared if you want a glass of water overnight!

Our room was well decorated, neat, with a little en-suite. The room was compact, so although I'd go back, you couldnt stay here for long.

There was a very long dreadlock hair on the bed spread which was a bit off putting!

Stayed March 2012
Highvale, QLD
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

As backpackers go this one is actually pretty good on first impressions. Its clean and modern and the rooms I have stayed in are fairly decent. On-suites in the more expensive private rooms are clean although can be a little cramped.
Wanaka is fantastic and this place provides a cheap alternative to the otherwise expensive lodgings. Its close to the lake shops and bars. There is a bar downstairs that caters to the hostel but also locals that will turn up later as everything else closes down early most nights in Wanaka. A few rooms are above the bar and it can be noisy.
The problem with this place though is that there is no staff on over night. Its can become a problem as people can come and go as they please. We had people trying to get into the hostel at night as we returned. They try to follow you in when you swipe your key. We had no problems in the time we stayed there but can see how things could get out of hand. I could easily see how locals could chip in a few bucks to somebody who can check in and get a key card and all pile in come bed time.

Room Tip: Dont get the room with the Base sign outside our window, its super bright all night long. Also rooms...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
GMBaseWanaka, General Manager at Base Backpackers Wanaka, responded to this review, 7 March 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at Base Backpackers Wanaka, it is always nice to hear you enjoyed the property, I will take on board your overnight security concerns, we always have a staff member that looks after the property after hours, and is contactable via pager system or mobile phone, I would also like to thank you for your vigilance and not letting non security key holders in to the property after hours, I hope you enjoy the remainder of your travels around New Zealand.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I stayed here one night and was so glad to leave the place. The rooms were tiny and so crammed meaning they were very very warm. The staff on the desk were rather unfriendly in my opinion and asking for anything received a look similar to one you would get if you asked for a million dollars. Maybe she was having a bad day but the next morning she wasn't much better.

There was a smaller plump woman who was friendly but she wasn't about that much. The kitchen in this hostel was probably the second worst kitchen I have ever been in. The hostel could probably hold around 200+ people, we struggled to get enough plates etc for 8 people to all eat at once. As with all base hostels there is usually a bar near by. Their bar was ok but not the best I have experienced. They said they wouldn't people in after 10pm so everyone rushed to get in and then they let locals and others in all night. It was a ploy to get people in early and spending more.

The only thing I found good was the shower in the disabled toilet. It was powerful and was clean. Other than that don't bother with this particular sweat pit.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Wanaka hotels

Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We arrived at Base late so had a late dinner in a disgusting kitchen then when we were back in our room, we decided to watch a bit of tv when around 1am we saw so many bed bugs running on them light brown blanket that we realised we could't sleep in here.
My partner rang the night bell, a nice guy who was in charge this night gave us another room, so we told him we don't want to take any bed bugs with us so we're going to leave our clothes in that bedroom and will sort it in the morning.
At 8.30am we went to the reception and been told to come back in 30 minutes as only the manager could sort it out. We were back after 10am and the manager made us wait as he was too busy talking with another staff member (we have been told by a work mate as we couldn't see whats going on in the office) and when we explained to the manager he didn't believe us, telling us the room had bed bugs just before we arrived but they made it sprayed by professional and left it empty for 48 hours as recommend by the pest control people. So I had to explain him I knew what was bed bugs as I already had some few years ago in Australia.
Then we told him we left all our clothes in the bed bugs room to make sure we don't take any with us so we now need to wash our clothes.
I am still waiting for the thank you!
And finally he told us how many load of washing you need so I will give some coins but that was it.
We lost all our day in Wanaka because we had to wash our clothes and didn't have anything to wear until our clothes were washed and dried.
He didn't even offer us anything else like a free dinner who coast $8 per person just to make apologise.
The room I am now has a non stop nose like a truck motor!
And in that morning I asked to someone at the reception how much to print something. He said $0.50 per paper so I printed what I needed and as I was bored in my room waiting for my clothes to be ready, I was reading them Base Wanaka book and saw in here that to print something it was $0.20 per paper.
When back to the reception to ask my money back and I have been told that the price changed that what was in my room wasn't up to date. Once again I had to explain them that it wasn't my problem that I wanted the difference back as they already ruined my day!
At least whenI had bed bugs in a YHA backpacker in Australia the manager took responsibility and washed my clothes herself to make sure I don't waste my day!
So if you are looking for a backpacker, the YHA is just 2 minutes walk from this place.

Room Tip: The double room with ensuite could have been good if not bed bugs, horrible nose like a truck motor...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for your valuable feedback regarding your stay at Base Wanaka, may if first express my apologies for your stay, and for not offering to do your washing. Bed bugs are brought in from other guests and we do everything we can to prevent this from occuring in particular we offer hotel standard linen in all our beds, and rely on professionals to eradicate if such events occur, I was on the phone with this company when you arrived at reception investigating the situation, so i apologies for your wait. I do believe that we tried everything we could to accommodate you when the incident occured, in the form of a full refund for your acommodation for the evening, as well as a food and beverage tab in the Mint bar which you did comment was a nice guesture, and taking care of ither costs incurred during your stay with us. If there is anything further you wish to discuss please do not hesitate to contact me directly.