7,767 results
All reviews private island palomino island water park la marina puerto rico marina area chops ferry ride horseback riding rented a car water shoes walk in closet cafe caribe ocean view las casitas main pool tennis courts
Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

I went for a second time June 2017 and stayed in a waterview room, two queen beds with nice balcony. I got a fantastic deal by booking in advance! We arrived and were helped in a timely manner, even though there was a convention going on and a lot of people.

When we got into the room and I was so relieved to find that it was clean. My friend who is sensitive to mold said she could smell it and we could tell it was in the fabric of the headboards (leather fabric that looked to be spray painted with Kilz, maybe?) but honestly, I know hot and humid areas are most likely going to have some kind of mold. I was just happy that the room was clean and they were taking measures to prevent the mold. The beds were comfortable and we got good sleep,for the most part. There was one night (Havana Night) where they were playing music pretty late, but it wasnt unbearable and I enjoyed watching the people at the party enjoying their night. The breeze was really nice and the view of Palomino Island was so relaxing. The AC worked really fast and well.

The grounds were well kept and pools were clean. My son had so much fun and I liked swimming up to the bar and ordering food and drinks. The meals at the pool bar are HUGE! Try splitting a meal - save some money! The drinks went down super easy since they tasted so good!

On the way to Palomino Island you will pass by shops that have some cute stuff! There was one place that had a cutest platform shoes with pompom details on them that were so cute. They didnt have my size :(

Palomino Island was a hit. When you get on the boat it is HOT (in June)...but once it starts moving the breeze cools you down! The boys loved riding on the boat to the island, it made them feel VIP! Once you get close to the island the water is so clear you can see down 30 feet or so! We saw sting rays and a shark! Once we arrived on the island we saw iguana, hermit crab and baby chicks! We spent the day drinking and eating and playing on the beautiful island. Snorkeling there is fun, but there isn’t as much wildlife as other places I snorkeled in PR. The convenience and fact it was free was a plus though!

We booked a horse ride — I do not recommend the Palomino horse rides for anyone over 180 pounds or those with young children. This is the only real negative thing about the resort, and I did report it. The horses were not healthy and the horse they gave my friend was due any day and poor thing was having to tote people on her back up and down that hill. The horse was so tired she laid down and my friend got her foot out just in time. My horses leg was injured so it kept limping which scared the crap out of me. My friends son’s horse did what it wanted and because of that he didn’t enjoy the ride. My son had a great horse and a great time, I should note. We ended the trip early and the guides were very understanding, gave the boys a horseshoe and we paid 1/2 of the tour cost. We only rode for about 20 minutes or so.

El Conquistador provided my son and I wonderful entertainment and memories. I am booking to go back in 2019 and will stay at El Conquistador again!!! Glad I gave them a second chance!

Stayed: February 2018
1  Thank bpmminc
FelicianoL1, Public Relations Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2018

Thank you for your detailed 5 star review! We appreciate your candid feedback and have shared it with our executive management team for review when we reopen the resort later this year. I am happy to see you enjoyed your overall stay and that Palomino was a hit for you.

We hope to welcome you back in 2019 for your 3rd visit!

Reviewed 28 January 2018

The Waldorf Astoria is probably the largest hotel I have ever stayed in. Regardless, it is a great hotel for families. The rooms are very modern, clean with some great views. There are plenty of restaurants which means you will definitely find something appetizing. Also, staying at the resort means you have direct access to Palomino Island which is highly recommended. Renting a car is highly recommended since it's an hour away from San Juan and everything would be within driving distance. For an extra fee, there's a large parking lot and therefore parking is not an issue. I only wish there was an all inclusive option but this seems to be nonexistent in Puerto Rico. Very odd considering this is the Caribbean.

• Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family
2  Thank Ronald Q
FelicianoL1, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2018

Ronald,

Thank you for your review. I am happy to see you had a great experience and that Palomino Island was a highlight from your trip. The resort does offer an inclusive package which is available on our website. We hope to welcome you back to our resort during your next trip to Puerto Rico.

Reviewed 22 January 2018

We stayed here in June 2017 and absolutely loved it. The property is huge, very well maintained, and has everything you need (restaurants, coffee shops, mini marts, pizza, game room, bar with dancing, pool tables and shuffleboard, various pools, their own water park, and free shuttle to the adjacent island). Great for families, with kids of all ages! Our room was lovely, comfortable, good size and the view of the coastline was amazing!

Stayed: June 2017
1  Thank LoFro2
FelicianoL1, Public Relations Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2018

Thank you for your 5 star review! We are pleased to see you had such a lovely experience during your stay with us last summer. We hope to welcome you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

The Amazing View the Friendly personnel And the Things you can Do in the Hotel Are Huge ..,!! The Pool The Water park The Elevator down you to the Marina to get the Boat you will land on Palomino Island One of the most Beautiful island in theCaribbean .. this Hotel Need to be visit One time in Your life... you will be surprised As soon you Get of yourCar orBus The Amazing Lobby with the amazing Ocean Island View .. this is the paradise

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Joel A
FelicianoL1, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2018

Thank you for sharing your 5 star review from your previous stay. I am delighted to see you had a lovely experience and that our team and the views were some of your trip highlights.

Hope to see you again in 2018!

Reviewed 19 November 2017

I suppose when people stay an something with the "Waldorf Astoria" title, they have high expectations. I came prepared, however. Waldorf Astoria that wasn't insanely expensive??? I was a little cautious. Holy smokes though, it was gorgeous! And the pools! And the size?!?! And the water park (for the kids, of course), and the view, and the great beds, and the golf course, and the private island??? We would have stayed an extra night but like a bonehead, I pre-booked another property for our last night in PR. My kids cried when I told them we couldn't go back to the water park. I was sad too.
The ONLY reason I wouldn't give these guys a 5-star rating is for the service. Holy moley...plan on everything taking three times longer. One person in front of you at check in? Yeah, took about 25 minutes. And it wasn't like they were understaffed. The front desk people were just sitting at their stations...think DMV, and you've got it pegged. 4:00 check-in guarantee? Nope. Said they would text when the room was ready? Nope. The bright spot of this hiccough is that when I approached them we ended up in a ground floor marina room, which I HIGHLY recommend. If you travel with two adults and two kids, as we do, they have a giant room, with a king-size bed, and a pull out couch with a memory foam mattress, nice! Oh, and the picture of the minuscule tv in one of the rooms is inaccurate. Our room had a 60" LED HD monster.
Lastly, if you get a room with a pull out bed, make sure you get housekeeping to come make the bed before bedtime. Room doesn't come with extra sheets.
So, getting down to brass tacks here, if you have the patience to wait for everything being on an island-time schedule, stay here. You owe it to yourself.
LASTLY!!!!
Don't read the non-elite reviews. Those people are angry for some reason! If you look at the elites, I think you'll see a different story painted.
EDIT- looks like this place is temporarily closed due to the recent hurricane. Hoping everything is OK down there and they are able to get back on their feet soon.

Room Tip: Marina view, ground floor
  • Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
8  Thank Gena L
FelicianoL1, Manager at El Conquistador Resort, A Waldorf Astoria Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2017

Thank you for your 4 star review of your stay with us. We appreciate your candid feedback and are happy to see that you and your family enjoyed your overall stay.

We will be taking reservations for guests after 4/1/18 due to the passing of Hurricane Maria and would be happy to welcome your family back to PR in 2018!