Jacob Taylor Beach, Fishing Village, Craft Market
Review Highlights
Heavy Tides

The beach surrounding was clean and people friend. It was a windy day and encountered a lot of... read more

Reviewed 9 May 2017
CurryGoatMan
Richardson, Texas
relaxed atmosphere at Jacob Taylor Beach

great to drive to and go for a walk/wander. Couple of local bars with local food, meet the locals... read more

Reviewed 25 August 2016
peteB332
Bradford, United Kingdom

Top Selling Tours & Activities in and around Falmouth
from US$ 300.00
More Info
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 8 February 2014

This is my all time favorite place to shop when I go to Silver Sands I always go over and see everyone, just sit and chat with them to catch up. They are so kind and generous. They never hassle you on trying to buy something. They let you go in and look around answer any of your questions. They are truly gems. You will not find anywhere in my opinion any better wood carvers then Walt or anyone else there. I wish I had the picture to show you the beautiful bowl that Walt made for me on my last visit. It is a one of a kind. He can make anything and I do mean anything. All you have to do is ask him. Everyone there is great. So if you get the chance go buy and take a look for yourself. They will put a smile on your face for sure. I'm planning my trip now so I will be over there to see everyone very soon. Miss everyone.

9  Thank stone123
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Just back from 2 weeks at Silver Sands, Duncan's Bay, Trelawny Parish, Jamaica. I spent a lot of time at the "Fisherman's beach", visiting the people and watching the craftsmen at work. I even went down early one morning and watched the fishermen heading out. If you are at Silver Sands make sure you take some time to meet these people and spend some money on crafts. Search carefully and you will find something charming to bring home. We watched Walton work on a large cedar bowl the whole time we were there, and we bought it from him on the last day. Also, necklaces from Nash, carvings from Puty I love it!
Go down and meet Chucky, Nash, Fureus, Dawn, Jennifer, Walton, Keith, Cheryl, Puty, Hank, Deron and all the others. You will be meeting the real Jamaica and I am sure if you take the time you WILL feel the love!

8  Thank jayPod
Reviewed 28 April 2013

If your looking for beautiful wood carvings Puty is the man to see. He has many carvings already done,but if you want him to make something specific he can do that to. We bought a beautiful piece from him in Feb. Looking foreward to going back in Feb.2014.Cant wait to see what we will come home with. Visiting Jacob Tayor beach is a must if your in that area.

4  Thank KimMedernach-Kozlows
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Have been to Silver Sands twice and plan on going back this Fall. Jacob Taylor Beach is always a highlight of our trip. Conveniently located right next door to Silver Sands made it possible to go several times during the week.

You can get some great items at a good price.They are not the mass produced carvings found at the big resorts. These are one-of-a-kind items. Each vendor has their own special talent. Not all are wood carvers (although they are our favorite). Some have hand made jewelry, used clothing, souvineers and some very nice sea shells at reasonable prices. On one visit, we requested a rooster and by the time we were ready to go home it was ready. You can get from very small to extremely intricate & pricy items.

Our teenaged grandsons liked watching the wood carvers. They enjoyed going back several times to make their choice on which items they wanted to take back. Each visit, they had to make sure stop by to see Walton.

The cook at our villa purchased a huge fresh Pink Snapper from one of the local fishermen for our dinner. Caught that morning right before she bought it. It was one of the best meals we had while there. You just can't get any better than that!

Since Leroy's has expanded, we have shyed away. Kind of miss the old place with it's Hemmingway feel and beach bar charm..... but I am sure there are those who prefer the larger establishment.

As with most places - show respect and yet be firm when bargaining. It is not a huge place but has enough variety. You don't feel that rush like at so many places. Not that, at tmes, you don't need to say "no thank you'... but they are not overly pushy. "Respect" is they key.

Even if you aren't staying AT Silver Sands, a visit to Jacob Taylor Beach is well worth your while.

8  Thank Charwatkin
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Shopping at the market was fun and worth doing. On Tuesday and Wednesday there are cruise ships in port at Falmouth and they are worth seeing. Wednesday seems to be the busiest day at the market, lots of venders and not just tourist stuff. This is a market also for locals. The locals area seemed to be mostly at the back, clothes, shoes, fruits, veggies etc. The tourist shops all out along the road..everything says Jamaica on it! Fun shopping, worth seeing! We just hired a cabbie from our hotel, he actually stayed with us as we walked thru the entire market, very nice!

11  Thank Steph300