“No longer the best option on the island” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Casa Iguana

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Little Corn Island
Casa Iguana
Managua, Nicaragua
“No longer the best option on the island”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

We stayed at Casa Iguana twice, once in May 2011 and once in April 2012.

GOOD REVIEW
The first time we stayed there, we were really satisfied with the place. The owner was present during our stay, and the Manager at the time was extremely helpful and pleasant.
The cabana #3 was the furthest one on the site, and we enjoyed this remote location.
The shared bathroom, even though a bit far, was clean and we had no complaints about it.
We ate very well, and had really good service.

BAD REVIEW
The second time we traveled to Little Corn Island, we decided to reserve again with Casa Iguana.

Reservations
Reserving was a real hassle, and took many emails to get a confirmation. They finally got confused and reserved 2 cabanas for us.. (when we only needed one)! We ended up having to call the Beach and Bungalow Hotel in order for them to call Casa Iguana by radio (because they have no phone), and confirm that they had received our Cabana reservation, and to ask them to write back! Even then, they were all mixed up! It gave us the impression that they just didn't want our business.

Cabana
We ended up having the same cabana as the first time (cabana #3), and they still had the same mosquito net with holes! Since the year before, a public path has been built right next to that cabana, and you can hear everyone walking and talking at any given time... It was therefore very noisy, and not pleasant at all.
For the quality of the accommodation, we found this time that the cabana was a bit pricy, especially if you compare it with the quality of the Beach and Bungalow.

Shared Shower
This time, the shared shower was dirty and full of old empty shampoo bottles that previous tourists had left behind, so there was no room for our own bottles when we showered. They ended up not being removed until we complained to the person in charge.

A special Pig roast dinner was organized on the beach one night. It was a bit pricy (15$ per person - no drinks included), but it seemed like a good idea. The "meat" that was served actually ended up being pure fat...and no meat was even served. I had to ask for another piece, and it was 100% pig fat that was served to me. Following the disappointment of customers, the cook had to compensate by grilling last minute fish,..which in my case, was just too late for me to enjoy.

Staff
As opposed to the first time we stayed there, this time the staff seemed to lack enthusiasm. The week we stayed was one of the busiest of the year for them, and it seemed as though they were tired, and just didn't feel like attending us. Asking for a beer seemed a bit of a chore for them.

Overall, we ended up spending more time at the Beach and Bungalow, where service was extremely friendly, and food was delicious.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Genevieve L
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
Isla de Ometepe, Nicaragua
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

This place is a scam. I was still tempted to give it a better rating than two points but on top of a lot of other things they tried to rip us off with the bill at the end. So I guess a two is still pretty fair now.

We booked one of the $35 cabanas, which was completely run down, small (2x4 meters), no electricity outlets, mosquito netting ripped all over the place, no fan and a shared bathroom.
I really do expect a little more for that money.even the Corn Islands are more pricier than other places in Nicaragua.
A socket was put in the cabin on the second day after I complained and insisted because one of the girls told me that cabins don't come with a socket?! They guy also fixed the netting on the windows and door. The no fan situation was not really satisfying when there was no breeze from the sea. The second night, when I finally slept in resisting the heat, it took about an hour until a coconut or a big leave from a coconut tree fell and banged on the roof and woke me up again. Anyway the cabin was just next to the public path which everybody had to use who came back from downtown to this side of the island.

The shared bathroom was never mentioned, not on their homepage not in the emails they sent me and that disappointed me a lot. Their whole website seems like a scam now after visiting their place. The organic fair trade coffee in the morning was weaker than water and both, breakfast ($6) and dinner($15) were completely overpriced, as well as the room.

On top of that they wanted to charge $50 for the room at check-out, luckily this was avoided but they did charge $39 for 6 local beers and a passion fruit juice.

To be fair there were some things I liked, the beach was clean, the outside setting was very nice and well done, all the local staff was super friendly and helpful just as you expect it from a place like Corn Island. I also liked the 3 puppies.

Other the 3 guys which run the place. Their friendliness was very artificial and they did not seem to have any idea or interest how to run a place dedicated to the service industry. It is not the price which gives a place it's reputation, kids !! Attention was kept at the lowest level possible. It is a pity, because this place has a great potential and looks much nicer then some other places on the island but unfortunately it is not managed well at all. Instead of treating their place with some love it seems to me their only motivation is to use it as a cash cow.

So, unfortunately from my point of view I have to recommend you to go somewhere else if you want to visit Little Corn Island. I do not dive, but snorkeling is amazing and good sites are very close to the island. It is such a beautiful place, so don't let your impression get ruined by your accommodation situation.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
5 Thank Zkini
New Preston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

We are just back from our best and favorite vacation ever to Little Corn Island and Casa Iguana! The staff was so friendly and helpful (we enjoyed getting to know you - Doug, Margaret and Emma). The food was terrific - for breakfast we all loved the French toast, the kids loved the pizza at lunch and we all (even the picky eaters) LOVED the coconut curry fish at dinner!!! We loved our casita - it was very clean and and we were all so comfortable! There is no better way to fall asleep than with the sound of the ocean and the nice ocean breeze!! Not quite sure what people are talking about...it is about 20 steps down to the most beautiful, quiet and peaceful beach. I loved being in the hammock on the beach or just in the hammock on my porch! Thanks everyone for making our stay so pleasant! We also all became PADI certified with Dave and the crew from Dive Little Corn (also a fabulous experience). Everyone - at Casa Iguana, Dive Little Corn and the restaurants in town - made us feel so welcome!! We will definetly be back!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

I can say that i was one of the first customer who stayed at casa iguana. My first trip was over 12 years ago. I have been there almost every other year, but the past 3 visits have been awful. I have working in the hospitality industry for over 18 years. I know what to expect based on where I travel and stay. I usually don't mind too much how the place looks as long as there is good customer service. My cousin got married there 3 years ago, we had rented most of the casitas, but the people working there beyond rude and it felt as if we were bothering them by being there. We decided not to post a comment online, but to deal with the owners directly. An apology would have been great, but it was more like the owner was covering up for her bad service staff. This year we decided to give them another try. We were paying almost $100 per night and we booked 5 casitas that to be honest should be $60-$75. Anyway, the price was not a concern. However, we got a call 5 days before our trip to inform us that our reservations had been cancelled and the Island was sold out. it was that simple! " sorry our GM made a mistake" we don't have rooms for you. that's it! now, i will let you be the judge of the response.

Room Tip: Stay at Elsa's place. It's next to casa Iguana. The best beach and real corn island food. Se...