All reviews ondol room ski slopes water park alpensia resort incheon airport trout fishing the bus winter olympics three rooms rice cooker welcome center fried chicken speak english well sized bed room facing hotel area basic hotel
Reviewed 5 April 2012

Coming from Australia, we were able to find little information about skiing in Korea, which we opted for rather than Japan. On a wing and a prayer we found great flights with China Southern Airlines direct from Brisbane, got a great deal for 10 nights at the Holiday Inn Suites, booked a car to meet us at Incheon airport and crossed our fingers! Well, all of our wishes and more came true. As we landed at Incheon the first snowfall in weeks began, as we walked out of the airport to our waiting car, the kids squealed in delight, never having experienced a snowfall and the magic began.
My husband's suggestion that we arrive to Alpensia comfortably was a little indulgent but an absolute winner. We arrived at Alpensia in the late afternoon and were quickly processed and given keys to our beautiful 2 br apartment overlooking the Intercontinental Hotel and surrounding fields. The front desk staff are super friendly and helpful, with reasonable English. The apartment was perfect for our family of 4, well appointed with all the modern conveniences and spacious enough that we all had room to spread out. A quick trip into the village and we were able to pick up some provisions to tide us over til the next day. Dinner options were abundant, although we were partial to the Korean and Japanese restaurants closest to our block (across from the ticket office) and not a day went by without a visit to Angel-In-Us, where we would hook up with the free wi-fi. Oh, and for a treat, do breakfast at the Intercontinental - just wonderful.
Our first morning we tripped into Hoengye, the local town, by taxi (AUD$8 one way) and went shopping at one of the groceries stores. Language barriers aside, we stocked up on fresh fruit, local vegetables and staples (we enjoy cooking) and managed to find a ski shop with an English speaking assistant, who had lived in Brisbane for 1 year on an exchange (small world). People were so accommodating and so friendly, it blew us away. Once all geared up, the ski shop people gave us a lift back to Alpensia and helped us with our gear and shopping!!!
As the only skier in the family, I had a fun time rediscovering my skills and passion for the slopes in an afternoon session on the Alpensia slopes (Aussies think Smiggin Holes) while the boys (snow virgins) all had boarding lessons with English speaking instructors. Day 2 I skipped over to Yongpyong, home of 2018 Winter Olympics, and skied the gorgeous Dragon Peak run over and over until my ticket ran out. World class run, world class facilities and gorgeous surrounds - I was blown away (despite the -13C temp). Be careful of the free shuttle bus times or you might get caught waiting and hailing a taxi in the snow can be a little tricky!
The days rolled on with blue skies and sun, and lots of fun in the snow. Queues were non-existent so by lunchtime we were all stuffed. Good tip - buy a Morning Pass (8.30am - 1pm), ski non-stop then rest up for the afternoon - we found this worked well as the boys (10 and 12) would tire after lunch. We had a couple of non-ski days and went to Alpensia Ocean 700, the indoor waterpark, and had an absolutely fantastic afternoon including sauna time for the adults! Check out the outdoor spa, it's a hoot! Another day we booked a taxi and visited the Buddhist temples in the national park, including Woljeongsa (stunning) and on the return went up the ski jump tower and had afternoon hot chocolates (must do)! Oh, and did I mention the hang gliding ride and sledding - do it all as it is so much fun!
The snow was perfect perfect perfect each day and there was little to complain about our location - a five minute walk to everything, including the ski lift! All the food we ate out was fantastic, enjoyed our meals in our cosy apartment (serviced every day) and soaked it all in. The only negative is the absence of a self-serve laundry facility - 10 days of washing in the sink got a little trying and the laundry service prices were expensive.
On our last day the family skied at Yongpyong and we all had superb runs - so many options! Alas, our 10 day holiday came to an end, with a snowfall on our last evening as it had all begun. The morning we were due to leave, the boys couldn't help themselves and skied the last morning as snow continued to fall. We were so sad to leave...
We returned to Seoul on the bus, which was more than comfortable and negotiated our way through the subway to our next destination, the Metrol Hotel.
Our boys are still raving about this holiday and we are planning our return in January 2013 - can't wait!

Room Tip: Ask for 30 Block
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
24  Thank MSE_BrisVegas
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Stayed here over Christmas and had a really lovely time. The suites are well appointed and have great views over the slopes - much better than the Intercontinental, which is actually further away. Breakfast is quite pricey, but tasty, and certainly sets you up for the day, and the afternoon buffet is also lovely.

The only complaint I have is that the resort is not quite finished so the sauna and gym were not done yet - but we were able to use the gym and sauna at the Intercontinental - although we had to pay for the sauna. I'm wondering whether this fact might mean that prices in the future will be higher - we paid around 100 pounds a night room only.

Room Tip: The junior suites are much better than the standard rooms - but more pricey!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank sarahlrhodes
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Arrived here without any reservation for an evening stopover on my way from the east coast and prior to driving to Incheon the following day for a flight out of the country. Since it was not the ski season and a weeknight, I was assured of obtaining a room, and it certainly proved true as shown by the lack of vehicles in the free underground car park. I chose to stay in the hotel portion of the resort, which appeared to be the cheapest for two people. I'm a Priority Club member and was welcomed as such, but didn't receive any extra benefits other than being given a room with a better view - but that may have occurred anyway due to small number of guests. Service was very professional and punctual at check-in, and the staff appeared that they would be able to easily handle busy periods.

I was given a room on a high floor overlooking the slopes. The room was immaculate, perhaps even the cleanest I have seen, and the newness of this resort shown through - not even the slightest sign of dirt, dust or wear anywhere. The bathroom was equally impressive and overall, this is one of the best rooms I have had the pleasure of staying in during my travels - could not fault it in any way. Room had cable TV, safe and all the usual amenities. The only suggestion would be to lower the cost to high Internet rates or better still, to make such a service complimentary.

The view over the ski slopes from the narrow balcony was lovely, with the rest of the resort spreading out towards my right. I'd imagine this scene would look even lovelier when covered in a blanket of fresh snow. At night the hill is illuminated which was also had the ability to attract one's gaze. One point worth noting is that because I was here at the cusp of the snow season, snow machines hummed continuously throughout the night and they could be heard within the room even with the door closed. This is unlikely to be an issue when natural snow abounds, but when snow is sparse, be prepared for evenings that are not as quiet as they should be.

There is a convenience store across the road from the hotel part of the resort, but there are also fast food outlets further towards the apartment section of the complex. Thus, no shortage of eating options within close proximity. I never ate anything in the hotel, so cannot comment on its price or quality.

On comparing the rate I was charged with the rate on the hotel's website, it is cheaper to book on the website well in advance of your visit. However, even if arriving without a reservation, the price is very affordable considering the location and high quality of the resort.

Upon checking-out, a friendly member of staff invited me to return when Pyeongchang hosts the 2018 Winter Olympics; and I am seriously considering this most tempting of offers.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheTravelCamel
Reviewed 24 February 2012

Resort room is neat and well furnished. Ours had a view of the ski slopes which were beautifully lit at night. There was even a fireworks display at the slopes on Valentine's Day's night.
The ski village has convenience stores, restaurants, No-rae-bang, billards room (if you're looking for something to do at night)

1 Minor qualm: needing to pay for Wifi.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2012

This place is great for the skiing and family, just be prepared for the unexpected. The suite is open and comfortable for a family. Heated floor, kitchen with two burner stove, electronic fire place, everything you need to warm up after a day on the slopes.

Right outside the resort are 5 slopes ready for day and night skiing. Plenty of friendly restaurants to meet any families needs.

Bright bath towels with you. We tried three times to Beth bath towels, but only received face and hand towels. The suites allows dogs, so don't be surprised to be woken up early to a barking dog.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family