All reviews driving range shooting range palms bar tourist destination red brick swimming pool sand dunes bathroom fixtures laoag city bangui windmills road trip casino atv archery philippines ilocos fountain
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

We stayed here when we visited family in Laoag and were surprised to see that it was rated a 5 star hotel. It isn't...the rooms are outdated and not the halls are not well lit. The pool area is not maintained staff wise and the casino portion of the resort was closed . They offer a free breakfast buffet for guests,but that's it.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
6  Thank Marianne C
Reviewed 20 September 2017

This is my second time staying at this former grand hotel of Ilocos. So much had changed since the last time I stayed. I was a bit disappointed with the current state of the hotel. Its sad to see something of so much grandeur loose its beauty. The toilet stall doors don't shut properly, the bed was tough, not stiff, but tough... it was like sleeping on a wooden box. The breakfast was terrible. sad sad sad. the service was was alright, but the management really needs to do something about the property..

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 August 2017 via mobile

It's been exactly 10 years since we went to Fort Ilocandia, and it's mixed feelings from the time we arrived. We were in Laoag several times before with the kids and 3 out of the 4 times we were there we booked our stay at Fort Ilocandia. We loved the place. It felt very exclusive then, high end, and unique. At that time Laoag was the destination of choice, Vigan was just a stopover. I guess times really change. Vigan is now a top tourist destination and Laoag, for all its charms, somehow aged with time. Exactly what Fort Ilocandia is right now - its age is showing in some of its facilities like the rooms and restaurants. Since their casino closed last year, we were told there was a big decline in hotel visitors. I guess the impact was felt most in room occupancy and restaurant service. They still have the manicured lawns and they still look impressive, the hotel has also maintained its quaint and old look charms, but we were hoping rooms and facilities would still keep up with the times. Room air conditioning is a bit poor and the wear and tear shows. The bfast was not like before, now it's just a couple of variety that just doesn't make sense. The other option, a Chinese restaurant, serves good food but the place can do a major makeover.

Now on the upside, the recreation center should be the hotel's focal point. My kids are now at an age where they enjoy such activities and we made the most of the rec center. They enjoyed the driving range, archery, the mini zoo and night swimming. Since there were few guests around, we practically had the place often to ourselves. The highlight for us was the 4x4 ride at their own sand dunes and forest area as well as the adrenalin-pumping sand boarding. We planned to go to Paoay or La Paz Sand dunes for the ride but we were pleasantly surprised that Fort ilocandia offers the same in the comforts of their vast premises. And the rates are the same. That definitely made up for the little discomfort we had. And we all felt the exclusivity and privacy Fort Ilocandia had long been known for.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2017 via mobile

We booked a table in the Chinese cafe/restaurant which went fine. We arrived early as we planned to walk around the grounds for a while. Unfortunately it was tipping down with rain when we arrived. After parking in the car park we were forced to walk 100m with no umbrellas or shade. After getting wet through we decided to have a coffee in the bar which was closed.

The time came to take our seats in the restaurant and our experience took a turn for the better. The servers and service was excellent and the food was really the best buffet I have had in the philippines.

A wonderful mixture of Filipino, Chinese, American and European.

If they would have greeters at the entrance, if the amenities would be open when advertised and if the staff would look and act just a little interested this place would be very good instead of barely adequate.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 July 2017 via mobile

The resort itself is beautiful. The red brick and old Spanish feel really made this place feel like it was 200 years old and not 40 years old.

Check in and out was very quick and staff extremely friendly throughout the stay.

My only issue with this resort is the interior, other than the guest rooms there is no air conditioning or lighting. The hallways were very hot and very dark. We also saw a rat the size of a small cat run under the stairs.

The beach is nice although it is a long but scenic walk to get to the water. When you get to the beach there isn't anything there so don't expect services or anything. My wife walked down to where the locals were and bought us a few beers at the sari sari.

Overall if I had to stay in Laoag I would stay here again. But if I have my choice I will stay in Vigan or push North to Pagudpud.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
fort2000, Public Relations Manager at Fort Ilocandia Resort Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2017

Thank you ma'am, thank you sir for your patronage to Fort Ilocandia and for sharing your experience and observation during your recent stay with us.

We truly appreciate remarks made by our guests and we will make sure to address and do the necessary action. As soon as we read your comments we called the attention of the concerned departments to tackle the matter.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back to your home in the North very soon.