“Excellent for a honeymoon - an African Mountain Retreat !”

Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Nanyuki Town
Reviewed 29 December 2012

Enjoyed staying here 2 nights during my safari. I needed some convincing to include this in my itinerary but my local operator suggested it over staying at some other places, in what is known as the Kenyan highlands [ larger area around Mount Kenya].
Note that Shoor clearly told me this is Not a safari location, so one should not come here expecting to see wildlife and get safari gamedrives ! I selected this because I did not mind just relaxing at a nice place towards the end of my trip before heading back to Nairobi.

The property itself is high quality, well appointed and yet still has a basic , rustic feel to it, almost like a very large , stately house that kept on getting expanded. We stayed at the William Holden cottages which are detacehd from the main club building. These have 2 rooms and a living room in the middle with a TV and fireplace - so great for a honeymoon even though one room was wasted - but worth it anyway because the cottage opens up directly to a view of Mount Kenya, with the club gardens right in front of our rooms.

Plenty to do as well which is why 02 nights should be a minimum stay. There is a small 9 hole golf course that is made of short holes - fun to spend some time here, but they could improve the condition of the course.

Food was of good quality, I'd say to 4 star European standards, so while you enjoy good meals, do'nt expect Michelin star levels ! [ which really one should not expect in the first place when on a safari in the middle of the African savannah !

Overall we really enjoyed it here and will some day go back for sure.
Already missing the stunning views of Mount Kenya : (

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Niall C, General Manager at Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2013

Thank you for taking the time to share your valued feedback with regards to your stay, we are simply ecstatic that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Your kind words regarding our team and hotel are greatly appreciated and will be eagerly passed on.
We agree that the property is idyllic as a honeymoon destination, many guests find the grounds and activities (such as horse riding in the mountains) a truly unforgettable and very romantic experience. The views of Mount Kenya in the evenings are quite simply breathtaking and a view one will never tire of, please “Like” us on Facebook for regular updates as well as regular photos of the mountain and surrounding areas.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to the Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club - thank you for allowing us to turn your moments into memories.

FAIRMONT MOUNT KENYA SAFARI CLUB

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 23 December 2012

A really nice hotel in wonderful grounds with a great view I normally moan about beer prices but they were not too bad and the staff are excellent my bungalow was just right for a few days I've lived in smaller places

Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Peter B

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for taking the time to share your valued feedback with regards to your stay.
Guest feedback is critical to our operation and it is always gratifying to know that we have exceeded the expectations of our guests. We are most appreciative for your positive comments especially your thoughts on our facilities and appropriate beverage pricing. Your kind comments regarding the hotel is greatly appreciated and will be eagerly passed on.

Reviewed 21 December 2012

Terrific location - very beautiful. And nice big suites and lovely rooms. The space is stunning - we would just sit in their garden restaurant all day drinking wine and enjoying the view. Tons of activities within the hotel - the staff was very good and helpful.
HORRIBLE food. The day we reached the chef made us pastas - we had to leave it because it was so bad. The rest of meals did not improve - they lots of Indian food options - all pretty bad and the other food was also no better. If food is not a priority for you then definitely worth a visit, if is very important to you, skip it.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 November 2012

You will never regret your trip to mount Kenya safari club in the heart of Mt Kenya forest. I stayed 3 nights (November 2012) and although was there for work related mission I spent few moments to enjoy nature. I was always woken up by the birds singing in chorus and always enjoyed my breakfast outside watching the peak of Mt Kenya (was lucky as all the mornings had clear sky). I looked forward to any opportunity to get out and just marvel on the beauty, refreshing atmosphere! Staffs were very friendly and made me feel at home away from home. carry warm clothes as nights are chilly!

Room Tip: My cottage was close to the boundary with forest
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Niall C, General Manager at Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Thank you for your review dated 30th November 2012.

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to write your review and share your positive experience at the Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club.
We strive to ensure the every guest is provided with the very best quality and standards of service within this most unique location.
I sincerely appreciate the compliments on our welcoming & friendly team and am delighted that you managed to find some time away from your work related commitments to enjoy our vast property in this spectacular part of beautiful Kenya.

I look forward to personally welcoming you back on your next stay at the Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club.
We all look forward to turning moments into memories for you.

Reviewed 29 November 2012

My husband and I had a wonderful time at the Mt. Kenya Safari Club in early November. The occasional rain showers made the grounds look even lusher, the air even more refreshing, and the sundowners tastier. The drop in temperature at night was countered with a log fire in our room and a hot water bottle in our bed. While my husband had his meetings I had the run of the place and enjoyed the walks and activities, especially the heated outdoor pool, the art gallery with its impressive collection of wooden masks and antique artifacts from all over Africa. There are stables on the property, and you can take part in group outings or take a horse out with a guide - but this is not cheap. Game drives go off into an adjoining National Park, and I think there are also tours to the nearest town, Nanyuki. If you are looking for souvenirs, there are two shops on the premises plus the afore mentioned art gallery that has gorgeous silk scarves with wildlife motifs. Everything was on sale there. I enjoyed the animal orphanage with its bongo and caracal breeding programs and the other charges. My only criticism would be the fact that the $20 admission ticket is only good for a onetime visit. Our group had buffet-style lunches and dinners, so I cannot comment on the a la carte food quality. The buffets were excellent, the food attractively presented, for those with health or other concerns there were vegetarian dishes, plenty of salads, and lots of fruit. We found the staff to be very attentive and helpful, the lounges and common areas comfortably furnished and an excellent location for reading and, with the resort WiFi, working. Your sundowner could be had either in the lounge by a log fire or outside on the terrace by a fire pit. One of the staff members would bring his guitar and entertain the guests with African folk songs. I would consider Fairmont Mt. Kenya Safari Club suitable for all kinds of travelers, group, family business, perhaps not so much for singles, but that impression may have something to do with the time of year we were there.

Room Tip: I saw a number of regular rooms in the main building that were facing Mt. Kenya, and I found all of...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Niall C, General Manager at Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2012

We agree that enjoying a sun downer cocktail outside the Ze-Bar in the evenings is a very special experience. The views of Mount Kenya in the late afternoon is quite simply breathtaking, watching the changing moods of the mountain can be almost hypnotic!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Nanyuki Town
0.0 km away
Ol-Tome Laikipia Camp
Ol-Tome Laikipia Camp
#22 of 36 in Nanyuki Town

Been to Fairmont Mount Kenya Safari Club? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK