“Really, are you there?”
Review of The Eatery

The Eatery
Ranked #18 of 26 Restaurants in Nanyuki Town
Dining options: Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Eatery Restaurant has to be closed for exciting renovations during early 2013.(However The 'Get Beautiful salon' remains open) By May 2013 we re-open as the 'Courtyard Arcade', comprising of 9 shops and a NEW outdoor courtyard restaurant... alongside our popular salon, which is in process of moving within the same property to a new spot (but remains open!)
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Was with my friend coming down from Nyeri town to the town of Nanyuki for lunch we spot the great writing on the roof: eat at the EATERY but looking in through the open door we see a hair drier. WTH at this point, we go wild african navigation mode so we spot a tourist van stopping at the eatary area. We stand watch an wait to see were they go, when suddenly
they enter a small canteen like area next to the eatery. And thus I ask, "was that it or is it no more?" Please somebody answer me.
I am forced to rate for an experience not experienced, but I would love to eat here, if I can find the restaurant 2nd time around people please prove me wrong

LaikipiaFoodlover, Owner at The Eatery, responded to this reviewResponded 29 January 2013

So Sorry to hear you wanted to use us during renovations!
To make it clear- we are going through and exciting expansion plan over the next few months....
The Eatery restaurant is closed while we do this, but the Get beautiful salon remains open.
In short by May this year we will become the 'Courtyard Arcade,' which will comprise of 9 shops, the salon and restaurant.
Please come visit the first of is kind in Nanyuki town.

Reviewed 21 September 2012

Have been to the eatery on several occasions now and all visits the staff are extremely helpful and happy to help, I have recommended this restaurant to fellow travellers and friends alike all of which have enjoyed the visit also . Must recommend the English breakfast but then I'm biased :) Coming from the uk great work guys I'll be back soon will need a fry up before I tackle the mountain !!

Reviewed 14 August 2012

We were in Nanyuki for one night only and I looked up restaurant reviews on trip advisor. I was wary about going to the Eatery based on the first review since it was negative. We decided to check it out though. And BOY wasn't it awesome! The tree tomato juice is the best I have ever tasted in my life! We even came back the next day for more for the drive back to Nairobi. THE FOOD! Where do I begin? I had the chicken kiev and my hubs had the steak with peppercorn sauce. DELISH! We will definitely be going back!

My advice is, do not go there SUPER hungry.... the food takes time but it is worth the wait!

1  Thank Sambaza
Reviewed 3 April 2012

On getting into the restaurant, yes, a warm welcome is given.but that was just one of three good things noted. Waited a while to get a menu, more than five minutes, which to me is long considering it is such a small place, and everyone I found there had alady been served. When the lady to be my steward appeared she almost literally threw the menu at me, good thing it slid on the table didnt fall off. Their saving grace was a gentleman, very smartly dressed I have to admit, who i can only assume is the owner, who came to ask if I was ok. He was rushing off for a function and still took time to take my drink order, and make sure the waitstaff came back to take care of the food bit. Very friendly man. Thanks, sorry didn't get his name.
Well, with him gone, I waited another twenty or so minutes for a HOT CHOCOLATE!!!! that was just average, milk wasn't adequate.
Waited another five or so for a simple toasted chicken sandwich, another saving grace-their chef!!!!!! The salad was fresh, thought raining with olive oil rather than a drizzle, but the chicken sandwich was in one word, sumptuous.

Had the food, as simple as it was, not been that good, I would not go back.
The owner and chef are getting a horribly raw deal with their waitstaff and should do something about them. There are so many young ladies just hovering around, and more willing to help Caucasians than others patronizing the restaurant.

I hope to go back to have a try of their famous milkshakes and I sure hope they will not be so lethargic to locals.

LaikipiaFoodlover, Owner at The Eatery, responded to this reviewResponded 11 May 2012

Oh please do! come back!
We both remember you well and you are quite right - We were both just rushing off to a wedding, so hardly dressed to be a waiter... my hubby noted you sitting alone and came over to attend you.
Thanks so much for your input- yes we have of course had a word with the waitress concerned, but anyway please accept both ours(the owners ) and our waitresses apologies for your first impression of our waiting staff. I assure you it had nothing to do with being local, like all of us sometimes, someone was not on top form that day (hence the menu did not arrive in your lap as you sat down) In defence of our team; we have a very able and willing (and proud to have a good job) team on board.Generally we are very proud of them- it was just one of those days- we all have them!.
Glad you liked our free range chicken- not sure why you thought our milk was not upto much?! But then we can't please everyone in everything we do however hard we try. I will of course have a word with our jersey cow so that when you come in next time- it is top notch! we look forward to seeing you again!
kind regards and thanks for the 'kick'

Reviewed 28 March 2012

Very friendly and helpful. The fish was perfectly cooked in a nice dill sauce. The vegetables weren't overdone and the lettuce in the salad was very fresh. The only thing lacking was a roll.

1  Thank Quakertraveler

Thank you very much for your kind and honest feedback. Next time just ask us for one of our delicious home made rolls- we would have been delighted to have made your meal 'complete' for you. Its comments like yours that make our team at the Eatery proud of what they do and give them the lift the they deserve to offer the service to the next 'man ' in the door. DDD