“Full of divine energies”

Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias
Reviewed 21 April 2012

Mariposa Grove is a wonderful place to hike. They have numerous hiking trails and you can choose from easy to strenuous, one to four hours. The trees are very gorgeous, handsome, and imposing. I did not know many tree species, but I now know red wood and sequoias trees. They become my favourite. In Japan, we believe that a god lives in every creature. It is Shinto religion. There is a god in a tree, too. I felt as if I were surrounded by many tree gods. This thought made me blessed and happy, but at the same time I was worried that a bear might show up after his long hibernation and come up to me. I was hiking and thinking about how to deal with the situation at the same time. This was my solution: I had a bag of goldfish crackers in the bag. I would throw them at the bear to divert his attention in case of the attack. Is it a clever idea, isn’t it?! Of course, there was no bears at the time of my hiking! I touched, hugged, and smelled the massive sequoias trees. I felt the living divine energies, and the hike there was one of the most pleasurable times of my trip.

There are newer reviews for Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias

Reviewed 21 April 2012

Loved the road to get there! Twists and turns with lots of trees and views. Struggled to find a parking space, so I hate to think what it is like in summer. Made the donation to their educational programme for a map, which turned out to be a winter map designed for cross country skiers, so didn't really help people wanting to find specific sites. You have to walk over a mile into the grove museum area to really get the feel of these giant red trees and be surrounded by them. The museum was closed for winter. It was hard to find the fallen tunnel tree as the signposts were not great and the map did not show the general trail. I met many others with the same problem. It was worth hiking to the museum area though.

Reviewed 6 April 2012

Should not be overlooked by any first-time visitor to Yosemite

Reviewed 6 April 2012

The road was closed so we walked the 4 miles round trip up the road (in the snow) and then the 2.2m loop in the park. While we had fun, I would not take this hike with small children. Also, the trails are not well marked and there was no one on site to ensure we didn't get lost/hurt, etc. We didn't see as may sequoias as we expected (like in Muir Woods). There are bathrooms at the entrance to the sequoias at least!

Reviewed 4 April 2012

We visited Sequoia Park a few years before our trip to Yosemite. You want to see these grand and great trees go there, while Mariposa has some of these trees .... Sequoia owns the exclusive rights to the inspiration of their granduer. There are trails to walk among the trees but the actual trees are not presented in the exclusive manner as found in the other park. There is a tram which requires a fee that drives you around the entire grove giving a view of a majority fo the trees. Either park is quite beautiful and I have a special affection for trees ... but if I would visit Yosemite again I would skip this opting for some of the other wonders that await. If I would have the craving to visit these trees again, I might go back to Sequoia or travel further north to see the coastal redwoods.

1  Thank callme