Dude/Round Up Motel(West Yellowstone)
US$ 256
US$ 249
Orbitz.com
Gray Wolf Inn and Suites(West Yellowstone)(Great Value!)
US$ 329
TripAdvisor
Explorer Cabins at Yellowstone(West Yellowstone)(Great Value!)
US$ 439
TripAdvisor
Kelly Inn West Yellowstone(West Yellowstone)
Book now, pay at stay
US$ 407
Best Western Desert Inn(West Yellowstone)(Great Value!)
US$ 430
US$ 328
BestWestern.com
Brandin' Iron Inn(West Yellowstone)(Great Value!)
Book now, pay at stay
US$ 242
Roosevelt Lodge Cabins(Yellowstone National Park)
  • Restaurant
Old Faithful Inn(Yellowstone National Park)
  • Restaurant
Canyon Lodge and Cabins(Yellowstone National Park)
  • Restaurant
Lake Lodge Cabins(Yellowstone National Park)
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewsthe canyon arearooms are greatanimal sightingsgeneral storepleasant stayspacious roomground floorold faithfultour buseslake yellowstonecascadeelevatorlodgeaccommodationsparkdryerlinens
Reviewed 8 February 2013

I feel a bit guilty only giving Dunraven Lodge an "average" rating because the room itself was good. It was a decent size, bright and cleam. Some of the rustic furnishings were quite stylish. The bathroom was clean and functional and the beds were a good size and comfortable (I like a firm bed).
What really let Dunraven down for me was the rest of the Canyon Lodge complex. The main area, where the dining room and other facilities are located, was a construction site and, although I accept construction is necessary, there did not seem to be sufficient care in ensuring the impact on guests was anticipated. This included giving us a map showing a walkway from the Lodge to the main area which led directly into the restricted construction area. This was after I specifically enquired about whether there was a walkway or whether we should walk on the roads. This becomes more significant when you realise that there is minimal lighting at night and finding the paths is quite hard anyway.
Once the daytime facilities had closed (eg. shops, visitor centre etc) I found the main complex area to be dismal and depressing. The dining room and adjacent bar) are not attractive (a bit reminiscent of an old people's home). Many people have bemoaned the catering provided by Xanterra and I now agree with them.
They obviously have difficulty coping with the number of guests wanting to dine. At busy times guests are given pagers to alert them when a table is ready. Unfortunately, this leads to hordes of guest swilling around hungrily, snarling at those who are lucky enough to be called. A tip to avoid this is that we were advised you cannot "miss" your slot - if we did not respond to the pager we would be seated at the next available table when we arrived. We realised then that we could get a pager on the way back from a day out, go back to the room to shower and change, then walk back to the Dining Room to be seated without delay. We did this both nights and the staff seemed quite relieved that it lessened the waiting crowd.
I agree with a previous reviewer who said that there seemed to be rather arbitrary decisions on closing facilities (such as the cafeteria and the diner) which would have been welcomed by those staying on-site.
Having said all that, the location cannot be beaten and our time at Yellowstone was magical. On our way back from the dining hall one night we heard wolves howling in the distance - it genuinely sent a shiver up my spine and was an unmissable experience. The Canyon Lodge area could be fantastic but I think Xanterra has had a captive audience for too long and it falls far short of its potential.

Room Tip: Dunraven Lodge cannot be "booked" but can be requested. I sent an email and our request was honoured. We were allocated a room upstairs at the back of the building. I realise now that those are commonly requested as they are away from the car park and have a view into the woods.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
26  Thank mrssandgrounder
Reviewed 15 December 2012

I specifically requested Dunraven Lodge because of the Tripadvisor reviews. The booking agent said, "yes, no problem, I'll give you a nice cabin." I said, "Is that Dunraven?" He said, "yes, yes." When I got there we were told Dunraven was full and they gave us a little cabin by the woods. It was old, but clean. You had to get in your car to get ice, unless you want to go for 100+ yard hike at almost 8000 feet. If you do walk, take a flashlight. We were there We were there September 3 to 6, 2012.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
37  Thank minerg
Reviewed 4 November 2012

Dunraven and Cascade lodges are listed under Canyon Lodge Standard Hotel Room 2 doubles. One cannot reserve the Dunraven lodge specifically. I put an e-mail request for a room at Dunraven at a higher floor facing the woods ( not the parking lot) and the request was honoured. But apart from the presence of a lift at Dunraven lodge the two are almost identical and situated next to each other.
In August 2012 the main Canyon area was a construction site as the whole roof of the dining area was getting replaced. You have to check in first at the main reception (next to the canyon cafeteria ), collect keys and then travel to Dunraven lodge. The young man at desk was efficient & courteous. Explained the map with the lay out of the Canyon area.
You come out of the village, turn right, turn right again at the No Entry for the North Rim drive ,then go beyond the loops of cabins and the lodges are the last accommodation at the end of the road.
I believe there is a short cut from the back of the reception but that road was closed because of construction.
The lodges are just few minutes drive from the main area but miles away in terms of hustle & bustle of the canyon village with all its stores, cafeteria, Visitors Centres etc. Plenty of parking right in front of the lodges and a decent size lift to save your back from carrying bags to third floor. There are no facilities in the lodge other than Ice Vending machine so you have to travel to the main Canyon area for the services.
Would take about 10-15 minutes by foot but we always used the car as I saw a big bull elk several times near the parking lot and people reported bison sighting as well. Please carry a torch as it is pitch dark in the night and the road was full of large craters.
The room was of decent size for 2 adults and 2 kids, brightly coloured walls with a small round table and couple of chairs, Keurig coffee maker , a smallish bathroom and a separate basin area. No fridge. Storage area was a bit tight but we were living out of the suitcases and it wasn't too bad.
I loved those cute little teddy bear soaps.
Just like Old Faithful Inn the shower pressure was not brilliant. Unlike some other reviewers I had absolutely no problem with the bed or the pillows.
No laundromat in the lodge and the nearest one is in the Canyon Camp ground public shower complex on the other side of the road. Closes at 8 PM.
The cleaning ladies first service the rooms which have been vacated and our room was not serviced till 2 pm on couple of days.
No A/C but in late August we were fine with a portable fan in the afternoon with windows opened and the nights and the morning was quite cold, needing a fleece. Windows have fine mesh insect guards.

Our third floor room had the view of back of the lodge with the forest and I could hear the stream faintly in the night. I did not have any problem with noisy neighbours in the night. But remember a lot of people wake up early for wildlife viewing and some of them are not very considerate when coming to closing the doors. If your room is next to the main exit or the stairways you may get disturbed from the closing of the doors in early morning.

There are some chairs in the porch to enjoy a morning coffee and a lounge area at the ground floor to relax and share stories with fellow travellers. Obviously no TV.

Location wise I feel the Canyon area is perfect. Originally I wanted to stay at Roosevelt Lodge to enjoy the isolation and rustic charm. But had to drop that idea as I was late in booking the cabins with attached baths,which can't be booked on line.
One day while returning from Lamar valley I had lunch at Roosevelt lodge and had a good look at the area including the inside of a Roughrider cabin which was being cleaned. I didn't like what I saw and was glad that we stayed at Dunraven which has the modern facilities, the services of the canyon area but still away from the crowd.

Hayden valley is just a few miles and the majestic canyon is literally at the doorstep. Staying so close gives you the chance to see the canyon at different times of the day with changing colours of the canyon wall. Try to be at the Artist's point between 0940-10 am on a sunny day and you'll be rewarded with the most glorious rainbow over the lower falls. Plenty of hiking trails in this area including the North Rim trail which starts from just behind the cabins.
As mentioned I saw the big bull elk on two occasions just next to the parking lot.

Xanterra staff would leave a stuffed animal on the bed but you are under no obligation to buy that. Saying so my little one ended up with 6 soft toys!!
Agreed it's basic but who spends time inside hotel room when travelling to YNP?
Overall a very satisfying experience and I'd strongly recommend Dunraven to anyone visiting YNP.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
41  Thank Supratik
Reviewed 29 September 2012

Yellowstone national park has various villages, the distance between the various villages is 40 to 60 miles, so we chose to stay here 1 night for visiting the upper part and at the Old faithful the day after for visiting the lower part.
We had room 311 at the Dunraven building, located on the third floor. The building has an elevator, so carrying luggage is no problem. The room was basic, without much luxury and no phone, but had a nice atmosphere with bright colors and natural materials used. It was very clean and had very good beds with no noise from the neighbouring rooms and a window overlooking the forest (if you're lucky, you can spot animals from your room).
We took breakfast at the hotel, this is served in the main building (car needed to go there), this was a buffet. Although the breakfast hall was half empty, they made us wait for almost half an hour before we were 'allowed' to be seated, we still don't understand why. The food itself was just okay, the standard choice you find in most buffets, not of a very high quality.
We had a good night at this hotel, but if we return to Yellowtone, we would probably try to stay at the Old Faithful for the whole period, it is the better hotel, and looking back, we consider you can visit the whole park from any of the villages.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
19  Thank stesi
Reviewed 28 September 2012

After spending 3 noisy nights at The Old Faithful Inn, we visited the Yellowstone Canyon area and had a room at the Dunraven Inn. The place is newer, the rooms quite attractive, and the location was great

There was a lot of construction going on, and some of the parking lots by the main Canyon Lodge area were closed. Apart from the inconvenience caused by the construction, we loved this place

Room Tip: upper floor on the side facing the wooded area (rear of the building?)
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple