“Historic hotel - girl's weekend” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza

Hilton Cincinnati Netherland Plaza
Ranked #8 of 47 Hotels in Cincinnati
Kalamazoo, Michigan
“Historic hotel - girl's weekend”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2012

On a previous trip to Cincinnati, our group stopped in to look at the Hilton Netherland. The historic marker on the front of the building drew us in. Wow! I have been to many historic hotlels and staryed at a few, but the Art Deco was amazing. We decided that we would stay at the HIlton on our next trip to Cincinnati. I was a honestly afarid that the room would be tiny, but they were huge. Our room overlooked the river front and gave us a great viwe of the hills of Kentucky. The bathroom was a bit on the small size. Who cares, I'm not sleeping in there. We found the hotel staff pleasant and helpful as we wondered around the hotel looking at the French Art Deco designs..

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank grftraveler
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Korean first
Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

I was so disappointed with this hotel that I actually signed on to Trip Advisor so that I can post this comment. Time for me to contribute write-ups instead of smooching off others who do post comments to help frequent travelers like me. So, here goes...

So - what happened? This hotel is old and tired looking. I'm in my room - and it's small, really small. Bathroom is old - white ceramic tile with one small narrow shelf for my toothbrush, TV is a tube 30 in. (approx) tube TV. BTW, there was a candy wrapper in the center of the bathroom floor. If you're looking for a modern and fresh look housed in a historical building, with a transitional style --- this is NOT the hotel.

Context: I am a Diamond Level Hilton Honors member (and also Platinum for Marriott) - so, I am somewhat a "snob" when it comes to travel experiences. My standards are high and I do look out for details. I am very nice to staff to get the best out of them.

So, back to this hotel. I went up to the executive lounge, and again - a tired looking place. I walked into the refreshments area. Their "desserts" feature was a small plate of 8 small slices of cheesecake - not even nicely presented. There were two staff members - one in a suit, and one lounge attendant. The lounge attendant greeted me energetically - good, that's all - never said "may I get your something." The suit never acknowledged me. BTW, ever since I got the Hilton Diamond status, I've been comparing Hiltons and Marriotts -- I've come to the conclusion that in the U.S., Hilton executive lounges are an embarrassment.

How about the service? When I checked in, they didn't have my Hilton Honors (Diamond) number in the reservation. My client who booked the room didn't provide it. No problem. I should have checked before arriving. But after I gave my number, there was no acknowledgement of my Diamond status. If you've stayed at a Marriott, even a Hampton Inn employee will acknowledge your loyalty status and thank you. No upgrades tonight cause hotel is full. I was disappointed, but I understand. I haul my luggage to the elevator - no one asked if I needed assistance. Interesting! Up to the 12th floor - and both my keys didn't work - so, I haul the bags downstairs to get my keys fixed. The assistant front desk manager walked with me back up to my room to make sure I got in. He also acknowledged my Diamond status and apologized that no upgrade was available - good.

Conclusion: Service good but inconsistent. Hotel is old and tired. Stay elsewhere. The Marriott loyalty program is better than Hilton's.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Fabian57
Spring Hill, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

This was my second time staying at the Hilton in Netherland Plaza. The decor is absolutely fantastic, and my service has always been great. The beds are very comfortable. The bathrooms are quite small, but I was okay with that. I did not eat in the hotel restaurant, but there is a breakfast kiosk in the lobby with quick bites (coffee, juice, bagels, etc.).

Room Tip: For an excellent view, get a corner room on a higher floor. The 20th was spectacular, but the rooms...
Niles MI
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

Previous to this stay we have stayed at the Millennium down the street and thought we'd try this one for a change. We were pleasantly surprised to find their rooms are huge in comparison! There was easily room for the roll away (more on that later) that they do allow, unlike many downtown hotels, probably because their rooms are large enough for them. We had a standard two queen bed room.

The big downside is though the room is large the bathroom is tiny! It would probably work fine for a couple but we were 2 moms and 2 teenage daughters. It has a ledge shelf that is above the sink and toilet that is probably 3 inches wide, there is no counter as it's a pedestal sink. Once they put the tissue and their tray with shampoo etc... there is really only maybe 6-8 inches of space on the 3 inch ledge left. I ended up closing the lid on the toilet and using it to hold my stuff while I was in there which wasn't the most appealing choice. Outside the bathroom there is a counter with mirror but there is no sink there.

In the room they do have a two cup coffee maker which is nice, and the desk area held our pizza we had delivered well! I did not pay the extra for the internet access, however we were on the 28th floor and I was working offline. My computer only showed two bars (poor) for their access so I doubt it would have been great.

Now as far as charges, be careful. When we checked in we asked if a roll away was available and she said yes. I said great, that was it. When the bill was slipped under my door I was charged $30 per night for it ($60 for our 2 nights.) No mention was every made that there was a charge. I did not ask if there was a charge as I pretty regularly (in fact last two hotels we stayed at) request roll aways and have not been charged.

I went down to the desk to ask about it. The girl who waited on me said yes it was an error and they should have charged $15 per night so for our two night stay it should have been $30 not $60. I told her I still did not think it was right since I was never informed. She said her manager was there and I could speak to him. I believe his name was Terrance. I again told him I was never informed and would not have taken it if I had known and he took the charge off. He was very polite and so was I. It should never have happened but they handled it well although it was an inconvenience to have to deal with it.

The hotel ambiance is charming and unusual. It is a bit of a walk from the convention center. Not bad in good weather but could be a problem in winter or rain. There is supposed to be a sky way connected but we never found it. I asked at the convention center and was told, "you don't want to do that." I'm guessing it takes a lot longer, going through buildings and such but I really might want to anyway if it was raining!

Anyway...not sure if we'll do it again or go back to Millennium. It's hard to beat the 100 ft. sky way to the Millennium when we're doing long days at the convention center, but their rooms are tiny and we wait there 15-20 minutes for elevators. We never had a wait of more than a minute or two for elevators here. Leaning toward going back to Netherlands next year but we'll see...

Warsaw, Poland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

First room I got was really small, and I did not like it, so I went back to the reception and very helpful girl gave me a wonderful, huge room at 27th floor, with a stunning river view (thank you Sara!). And I am not Hilton Honor member! My room was clean, spacious and very quiet.
Hotel restaurant is simply magnificent, food is a poetry. I could not enjoy it more.
Hotel bar was also great, and Friday jazz concert simply amazing. It's truly a hotel with soul, not one of these modern places which all look exactly the same, but really something unique. You have this feeling like time has stopped and Rita Hayworth will come in just like that. Fantastic.

WiFi in my room worked just great, taxis arrived on time, and had good prices, stuff was super helpful, room service worked fast and smoothly, team in the restaurant just perfect, I also had a talk with Kyle, the manager, and need to highlight his professionalism.

Hotel is right in the center of downtown, just in front of Macy's mall where I invite all women to do some great shopping. Fountaine Square is 3 minutes from the hotel, just in case you would like to have a dinner outside.

I was dissapointed by the swimming pool, it looked old and water dirty, I did not decide to use it, and sadly it was one of the reasons why I choose the hotel. The gym was ok, but far far from what I have seen in other hotels. I was also missing MiniBar in my room, just a water, and tea+coffe facilities, TV is really old, but I dont watch TV much anyway, so I dont mind. Breakfasts were very good, altough should be already included in the room price. Thats a standard in many other hotels.

Overall - I was just delighted with my stay and was really sad that I had to leave.

Room Tip: If you don't like your room, just ask for a better one :)
2 Thank anna_8791