“Perfect place to celebrate a special occasion”
Review of Carlo & Johnny

Carlo & Johnny
Reserve with OpenTable
Carlo & Johnny is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 2,123 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Price range: US$ 25 - US$ 100
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Bar
Good for: Business meetings, Bar Scene, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Following the Jeff Ruby tradition of fine dining in unique settings is Carlo & Johnny. This beautiful mansion has a storied history as a casino and Mafia hangout, adorned with antiques and unique appointments. As for the menu, it's in keeping with the Jeff Ruby tradition; delicious, innovative, and out-of-this-world. And with 15 steaks, it's Ruby's most comprehensive menu ever. The old Hollywood glamour and delicious cuisine promise a meal and experience to remember.
Reviewed 10 September 2018

Carlo & Johnny is a Cincinnati gem from local celebrity restaurateur Jeff Ruby. Known for the best steaks in Cincinnati, Ruby also offers great seafood and an extensive array of adult beverages. Carlo & Johnny is tucked away in Montgomery, a suburb about 15 miles north of downtown Cincinnati. Housed in an historic mansion, the restaurant has a very cool atmosphere. The service is absolutely first-class--from the valet, to the hostess, to the wait staff. PRO TIP: save room for the Original Butter Pie as dessert!

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

Food was excellent! Service was superb and the atmosphere on point. Expect to pay about 150.00 per couple, but you get exactly what you pay for!

Reviewed 3 September 2018

Very good food excellent service.Large portions for sides very shareable.Steak was perfect.my wife had lobster which was very good.Complimentary cheesecake for birthday.Won't go that often but will for a special occasion.

Reviewed 25 August 2018

My husband and I hosted a birthday meal for our adult daughter, our adult son and his girlfriend. We've eaten here before (and at other Jeff Ruby restaurants), but I'm surprised to have to say: we were all disappointed. That's not something I'm used to saying at one of these restaurants.

I tried the Wagyu Filet ($60 for a 6-ounce filet), and found at least 2 ounces of it was fat / inedible; and the remainder was just "OK" - I enjoyed the bite of my husband's barrel cut filet better, honestly. My daughter also had the Wagyu and though her's wasn't fatty, she also thought it was "just OK." So I spent $120 for "just OK" and "I couldn't eat it all." Hmmmm....

Then let's talk about the timing of our meals...one member of our party is a vegan, and ordered a "special" meal (veggie pasta). The other four meals were served simultaneously, but the pasta meal was served AT LEAST 7 minutes later. None of us ate ours, of course, till hers arrived; she felt embarrassed (as if it was somehow her fault, which of course it wasn't!). It was completely awkward (and completely avoidable). Later, my daughter was told she got a free dessert for her birthday; the other four of us each ordered a dessert as well. Her dessert arrived about 2 minutes later, but the other four desserts didn't arrive for at least 10 minutes after that. What the heck!? Again, it was awkward, and difficult to understand, and completely avoidable.

So, not very good steaks, plus meals and desserts arriving at uneven times...for this I paid nearly $600 with tax and tip? I will likely not return to this restaurant. Very disappointing.

1  Thank cmkcmk
Reviewed 25 August 2018

We like all the Jeff Ruby's restaurants and this is our favorite. Love sitting in a booth in the Hollywood room - great people watching. As always everything was excellent - the service, atmosphere, food and drink. Worth the cost!