“food like a strip mall but a little better quality”

Teak Thai Cuisine and Sushi Bar
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighbourhood: Mount Adams
Cross street: Pavlion
Description: Teak Thai Cusine and Sushi Bar is located in Cincinnati and serves Thai Cuisine.
Reviewed 1 March 2012

This restaurant is in an interesting location in Mt Adams- since it is in Cinci "hills" it is built into rocks of many levels (I went once in a leg cast- NOT A GOOD IDEA) with rock walls and Oriental decor. Parking is a pain- try the garage for best bet. You still will wait even if you have a reservation- but usually not for long. It reminded me of Thai restaurant in small strip mall- family owned- all pre-prepared and dont waste their time if you want to linger. If you wait at bar you will WAIT before service- so go to counter and get your own drink. Food was good- our group ordered a variety- favorite of night was Coconut-chicken soup & pot stickers with crab-creamcheese. No one was unhappy with their selection. Food is typical Thai- and just take home the leftovers. They have 1-10 levels of hot, and upper numbers WILL BE HOT- so beware. Our waitress was very efficient and quick-moving. Loved her" saucy attitude" but some patrons could be put off by it- they are not there to be your buddy but to serve you food. Personally, I like interaction and efficiency- not fake familiarity. Overally, the food is okay, not too expensive, it is packed on weekends and when the weather warms it will be standing room only. I don't quite understand how it has lasted this long but it is in a great area and the people of Cinci are loyal to tradition.If you want high cuisine then go somewhere else.

Reviewed 26 February 2012

I have eaten at Teak about 4 times over the span of the last six years, with the most recent being two days ago. (I've continued to go because I had to attend social or work events there.). I am surprised Teak stays open, but perhaps it does so because the residents of Mt. Adams think Mt. Adams is god's gift to urban living (hint: it's not) and they need a trendy Asian restaurant there to self-reinforce their false urbanist hypothesis.

Anyhow, on to the restaurant.

When you first arrive, be prepared to wait in a crowded bar with wannabe extras from a casting call for the Cincinnati version of Jersey Shore while sipping on a drink from an overpriced, under stocked bar. If you are deemed worthy clientele, you will get harassed to your seats by an unfriendly matron'd.

The last time I went (business lunch), I ordered a sushi combo, as their Thai offerings are not good. (I've had Pad Thai and their red curry; their heat scale is calibrated wrong and most of the food is bland.) Suffice it to say that their sushi somehow tasted like lumps of charcoal, and were poorly rolled: one end of a spicy crab roll had a pea-sized nugget of spicy crab.

1  Thank faehnlak
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The food at Teak is wonderful. I don't care as much for the interior atmosphere - which is nice, but nothing special - but, the back terrace area for outdoor dining is very special during warm weather months. Easy access to Playhouse, so great dining choice for the night at the theatre!

Reviewed 22 January 2012

This is (to my knowledge so far) one of the only decently priced restaurants in the Mt. Adams area if you don't want bar food or really overpriced food. Come to think of it, I think it's the ONLY choice. After walking around the area for quite some time to see what restaurants were around--we settled on Teak Thai. We were seated quickly--good timing b/c then it got crowded. Our service was just fine and the food was good. I got sushi and my fiance got a rice dish. He really loved what he got, but there was nothing spectacular about the food or the place. Just another hip looking Asian restaurant. I will say the Thai tea was one of the best. A lot of places make it way too sweet, but this one was just right. The parking is pretty terrible, but we lucked out in that we got to Mt. Adams early enough.

Reviewed 18 January 2012

It's true. It really is the best thai in Cincy in the hip part of town, Mt. Adams. Terrible parking. Ok inside. Multi-level. Great food. Pretty waitresses.