“Great Food - Terrible Booth Seating”

Jean-Robert's Table
Reserve with OpenTable
Jean-Robert's Table is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #17 of 2,123 Restaurants in Cincinnati
Price range: US$ 30 - US$ 30
Cuisines: French, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: 7th and Vine Streets
Reviewed 29 September 2015

My wife and I ate at Jean-Robert's Table last night with another couple. We were seated at a booth that was incredibly uncomfortable: it was far too narrow for average American men to sit across from each other (my chest was nearly against the table), even though it was long enough for three people abreast; the table top was oddly high; and adjoining booths abutted such that the head of the patron behind was mere inches away from my head. Looking up at the ceiling would cause a cranial collision...a knocked noggin...a literal tête-à-tête! The restaurant had square tables that would normally seat four, but were set up as two-tops, arranged diagonally, as well as large round booths for larger parties. Be forewarned. However, I am happy to report that the food was almost uniformly excellent; the prices were relatively reasonable; and the service was high class, but not snooty. The waitress described about seven or eight appetizer specials (please just print them out if there are more than two or three). We shared escargot and "mac-n-cheese". The escargot were merely "ok" (too small, too cooked), but the "mac-n-cheese" was extraordinary (even though it contained duck and lots of cheese, it was not too heavy). For entrees, I had the skate wing (first time) and my wife had the flounder, both off the regular menu. The skate was expertly cooked (consistency like a sea scallop, but flakier) and "swimming" in a broth of leeks, fennel, thyme, etc., with fingerling potatoes and mushrooms. The flounder was in a lobster sauce with veggies and mushrooms, though my wife thought the purple potatoes had an unappetizing appearance. I had two cocktails, and my wife had two glasses of French white wine (the wine list has few non-French offerings). The portions were typical of a high-end, European-style restaurant (i.e. small by bloated American standards, but enough to be filling). We skipped dessert, being satisfied with two courses already, and not seeing anything special on the dessert menu. The tab was $100 for two, with tax, prior to gratuity. I would certainly return, but only if I could sit at a regular table or a round booth. JR's Table strikes a nice balance of approachable, but luxe aspirations, food quality and affordability. It is special enough for the romantic dinner, but not too special to visit several times per year.

1  Thank Murray W

Reviewed 15 September 2015 via mobile

Another amazing meal! This restaurant meal is my only birthday present, myself, husband and kids...amazing food, presentation, friendliness, just everything I like in a celebration dinner!
We can't resist having it all...wine, appetizers, fish, beef, (oh, the sauces!) dessert. Just wow!
Thanks chef and wonderful staff for being an integral part of the Cincinnati food scene!

1  Thank travelinda20
Reviewed 12 September 2015

We were in town for a convention and was able to walk to this restaurant easily. Wow! The group we were with had a preset menu and it did not disappoint. We are all impressed with the bread, salad, appetizer, entree and dessert! The sauces were outstanding. The atmosphere reminded us of something we would find in our favorite restaurants from New Orleans. Enjoy!

1  Thank Texans112
Reviewed 10 September 2015

This is a true French bistro-type restaurant - great food, good service, pleasant ambiance, but not snooty. On my most recent visit I had a salad with a wonderful combination of flavors - watermelon, watercress, arugula, sunflower seeds, and cheese, with a couple of white anchovies, which perfectly balanced the flavor palate. .For the main course, my husband had perfectly cooked scallops and I had a fabulous vegetable dish. I have also had the skate wings here, and that's another great dish. We were too full for dessert this time, but I have thoroughly enjoyed the chocolate mousse in the past. The biggest bargain here is the French Lunch Tray, available weekdays and served at the bar. For $15.50 you get four courses (a soup, a salad, a savory, and a sweet). The contents of the French Lunch Tray change weekly - check out their website to see what's being served.

1  Thank coolcarm
Reviewed 6 September 2015 via mobile

Perfect place for a celebration meal. Cozy dining room and tables are set up where you're close to other diners but without the feeling of being on top of each other.
We were seated promptly with our reservation at 7:45. Our server was very prompt and you can tell he enjoyed his job. Some upscale places, the servers come across as pretentious and Jason was very down to earth.
We had an appetizer of tomatoes and goat cheese. So fresh and so tasty. I chose the bacon wrapped salmon and it was prepared on the rare side of medium. Delicious. My wife had the 3 cuchon meal that had 3 cuts of pork. Pork was very tender. Dessert was chocolate macadamia tart with sorbet.
All in all a great dining experience. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Jesse C