“Cafeteria line and serve yourself coffee”

Maplewood Kitchen and Bar
Ranked #2 of 33 Quick Bites in Cincinnati
Reviewed 17 October 2018 via mobile

Visited Maplewood for brunch because of the fantastic reviews in the paper and online. We were underwhelmed. You stand in a cafeteria type line while you peruse the menu. When you get to the front, you order your food and pay. You are given a cup or glass to serve yourself a beverage. You are then directed to a counter where you wait for a table. Once a table is available, a person escorts you to the table and the food eventually arrives. There are no assigned waitpersons for particular areas so there is no one circulating asking if your food is OK once it arrives. There is no one offering additional beverages, you have to fetch your own. My food was tasty and warm but others in the party were served food that was mostly cold. Perhaps some items are prepared ahead of time and for some reason were not kept warm until we were actually seated. This peculiar arrangement no doubt reduces the cost of operating a restaurant but it made for an unpleasant experience for our group. We'll stick to restaurants with waitstaff and where they don't prepare the food until you are seated.

Reviewed 17 October 2018 via mobile

Visited my hometown to see the bengals, went on Sunday pre game and had the chicken bowl and a salad - service and food were TOP notch, and they were packed! BUT went back the next day and it was HORRIBLE! My BF got his food but the bartender/server “forgot” to put my order in. My food arrived well after he was done eating. At that point I didn’t even want to eat there and left hungry. A+ the first day F- the second day. Might want to work on consistency.

Reviewed 16 October 2018

I travel to Cincy a few times a year on business & typically enjoy trying different restaurants based on TA reviews. They are typically on point, however this establishment was an extreme disappointment. I ordered the poke tuna appetizer which was as bland as bland could be. Fair amount of tuna but no flavor what so ever. I also ordered the Goddess salad with added bistro streak on the side to go with dressing on the side to consume for lunch the next day. First, their steak is pre cooked so no option for rare but thought I'd give it a try being they said it was medium rare. BIG mistake! Cooked way past medium rare and also bland as bland could be, Second, when I went to eat it the following day, 1/2 of the lettuce was rotten. Unacceptable! I threw it out. On a side note, the dressing was very good. I do not recommend this place for dinner.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

We enjoyed a late breakfast on A Saturday morning! Loved the jazz music playing while we dined by the big windows enjoying the outdoors. Food was fresh and lots of unique choices. I had the Chicken Hash which was a unique dish of chicken, corn, breakfast sausage, hash browns, mushrooms, onions, jalapeños & bell pepper topped with 2 sunny side eggs. My husband had the Maplewood Omelette with ham, goat cheese, jalapeño, onion, bell pepper & side salad!! Both dish were delicious. Loved the atmosphere and the choices of seating...intimate booths, tables near the large windows, large tables for big groups of family and friends. A couple of the waitresses weren’t very friendly but we did have good service.

Reviewed 13 October 2018 via mobile

The people were friendly and the food is great. We ate here twice for breakfast and weren’t disappointed!