“Don't stay if you have a pet!”
Review of Econo Lodge

Econo Lodge
Ranked #13 of 30 Hotels in Vicksburg
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I made reservations here because they were pet friendly...I have two small dogs; both less than 9 pounds...they are poddy trained and I keep them caged and/or secured in the small bathroom area when I work (which can be 12-14 hours per day). I checked into the hotel which over a period of 2 days did find several things that needed attention (see posting from Jan 21st...believe they had to be in the same room). I had all the same malfunctions including that there was not a coffee pot and the hair dryer did not work. The staff came out the very next day after notification that something did not work or was a problem....very great service there. BUT, after four day on site, I was give 3 days notice that this pet-friendly hotel had changed policy and I had to remove my dogs (my babies) or I had to leave also. I was working at a facility that was expecting approx. 5K workers w/in the next week, and this Econo Lodge expected me to be able to fing other lodger w/in the 3 days notices...I am a single female traveling doing what I have to do to make expenses and get a paycheck...Living in a hotel for 2 to 4 months is hard enough...you would think that the management here would be ecstatic to have a room booked every day for that period of time, plus getting a nice $ extra rent for the dogs to be in the room. I do not appreciate making arrangement so far in advance and then being thrown into the streets, so-to-speak in a strange town and expected to find new accommodations within the 3 day notice I was given...I would ask that anyone who had to travel like to to BOYCOTT this facility...we should have been Grandfathered in if they wanted to change policy. And, by the way, I am in a no-smoking rooom and the bedspread and the c ouch have burn holes in them and when they changed my bed sheets the firtst, they too had burn holes in them...you would think that if you were in a non-smoking room that maybe you would not have to sleeep on sheets that had only been washed once and then given to a pO NOT STAY HERE FOR UNFAIR CUSTMER RELATIONS!!!

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY HERE! Room was clean...want to change rating to 2 -- not 3
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank C A
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Econo Lodge

Reviewed 10 February 2012

I spend a great deal of my life on the road in hotels with my companion, a pocket sized dog. Before coming to Vicksburg to work for 2-3 months, I called ahead to secure a dog friendly hotel. I thought I found it in this hotel. I drove 12 hours, checked in and was pleased with the room. It was clean and looked recently renovated. After staying 2 nights ( I pay in advance by the week,plus the hotel charges a pet fee) the manager owner tells me that dogs are no longer allowed because new guests complain about rooms smelling like dogs. I told him he really put me in a bind, I'm working and need a place to stay, when he tells me that I can continue to stay but not with a dog. I don't know if he expected me to just dump my companion and watchdog off to a shelter or what. Besides, 2-3 months of my pet fee would buy that room a new floor, not like he would need to. But to rent me a room on one pretense knowing I'm long term, then change a policy without consideration is bad business. I was a guaranteed income for him, filling a room for 2 months or more, and in an economy that tourism suffers in, a hotel owner is doing well to have a working person that is too busy working to tear a hotel room up and staying long term. Its steady money. At first I thought he had an issue with my dog, but I talked to other dog owners and he told them the same. Happy to take my business elsewhere. Ironically, my room neither smelled like dog before or after I left.

• Stayed: February 2012
3  Thank Works4nukes
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I travel for work and a hotel has to be my home away from home for months at a time as I work in different cities. I booked this room because it was dog friendly. 2 days into my 60 day stay, the manager changes his pet policy, to no pets tells me it is because new guests complain about the rooms smelling bad because of dogs. I told him he put me in a real bind trying to find another hotel. He said I could stay, just not the dog. Did he think I was just going to dump my dog off at a shelter so I could stay in his hotel? I am working and home is 12 hours away, I'm a single woman and I love my watch dog companion. Besides with the pet fees he was charging and the length of time I planned on staying he could have recarpeted the room if he wanted to, not like he would have needed to. Bad business / customer service. Otherwise the room was nice and clean, and ironically did not smell like dog before or AFTER I left...

• Stayed: February 2012
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The lady behind the desk treats everyone like they're stupid. I didn't care for her rude attitude.
Several stray hairs found in room and on the bed.. It's worth the extra money to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank Cmorley
Reviewed 22 January 2012

The price was right - $40, but even so the place needs a good cleaning and a handyman.
The room was a good size, the bed was comfortable, but I was a little put off by the fact that the toilet was missing half it's lid. How much can a toilet seat cost??
The refrig hadn't been defrosted in years and the microwave was missing the dial knob - I would have to have had a pair of pliers to use it. The bedspread had a hole in it and the sofa had cigarette burns even though the room was a no-smoking one. The cable wire wasn't connected properly to the TV impacting the reception.
It's clear that this hotel is used a lot by workers - the parking lot was filled with work trucks.
One room must have been for long term use - there was a small charcoal grill sitting outside - not sure if that was acceptable to the fire code.
I have to say though that the breakfast area was the best kept I've seen - even in the more expensive hotels and the food was adequate.
I'd recommend you spend a bit more somewhere else.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple