“Amazing! The best marked battlefield I have ever visited!”

Vicksburg National Military Park
Ranked #1 of 40 things to do in Vicksburg
More attraction details
Owner description: 1800 acres of now peaceful countryside, this park was once the scene of a bloody 47-day Civil War battle.
Reviewed 16 January 2017

Some people say you can do the park, visitor center, USS Cairo and cemetery in 2 hours- don't believe them. If you truly want to enjoy and understand this battle I suggest spending all day here. My family and I spent 6 hours here and we would have stayed for longer but the weather was chilly.

Start with the visitor center- there are some exhibits and a movie. The movie does a good job to give visitors an overview. However, it was clearly written by the North so take it with a grain of salt.

I suggest driving through the park, bring a picnic lunch and prepare to stop and get out. Some people hike it but for my family it made more sense to drive. The markers are very helpful to get an idea of how close both side were to each other. The monuments built by the states are very nice- Illinois, Texas and several others were especially impressive. Follow the road all the way around and listen to the free phone call service and/or read the pamphlet you can get from the visitor center.

I think the NPS has done an amazing job keeping the park a place for everyone to visit to learn more about the war and remember those who fought, regardless of which side.

1  Thank dennismary13
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 11 January 2017

This was a wonderful visit to Vicksburg, the park is beautiful and the memorials are magnificent. Plan on staying all day, you just can't get through it all in a few hours. The entire park is wonderful.

Reviewed 9 January 2017 via mobile

Knowing very little about this battle other than what I learned many years ago I feel like I was taken back in time today. I definitely felt the sadness of a time when our country was tearing itself apart. I definitely appreciate the time it took to gather the information to put together this Historic Landmark for all the world to be able to visit and appreciate.

Reviewed 7 January 2017

This is an absolutely beautiful park. It took us four hours to visit but you could definitely spend longer. We were on a bit of a time crunch. Loved it.

Reviewed 6 January 2017

As a Civil War buff, I've always wanted to visit Vicksburg, and my daughter and I stopped on a cross country drive back from Texas to Virginia.

While it met my expectations, I did not give the site the proper amount of time to enjoy. We arrived well after lunch time and with the park closing at 5pm, we didn't have time to watch the orientation film in the visitors center or browse the small museum, opting instead to head right out for the self guided driving tour.

Through no fault of anyone's but my own, I was not able to give enough time to soak in the sights and the history -- at least not to my own level of expectation (my daughter might disagree!) but we were able to finish the tour and get a good sense of the place. I purchased a DVD copy of the orientation film to watch later.

One piece of advice I would give to the park -- consider an audit of your driving signage. A couple of times we got turned around and had to drive through a couple of parts of the park we had already seen, and given our time constraints, led to rushing at the end. Maybe signs that indicate "main driving route" and "side or auxiliary routes".

Also, as we finished the tour after park closing (5:20 or so) and the sun had set, we had a hard time simply getting out of the park. The exit near the visitor center had an automatic gate, but a tiny little sign on the gate itself that tells you to slowly approach the gate and it will retract. I would suggest a larger sign on the road for those late leavers like myself. I saw the closed gate and assumed I needed to find another route. A few minutes of wandering and dodging deer later, we encountered a friendly local man walking in the park, who told us how to exit. Otherwise, we would have been calling for help.