Open today: 8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
Review Highlights
very interesting exhibit

This reconstructed salvaged ship was fascinating. I would highly recommend. The museum is small but... read more

Reviewed today
hsmomcharlottenc
charlotte, NC
Hilly site sets this apart from other Civil War battlefields

We have visited a number of major Civil War sites over the years. Pretty much all of them share... read more

Reviewed 2 days ago
Wanderlust777
Baltimore, Maryland

2,487 results
All reviews visitor center driving tour uss cairo civil war both sides audio tour cell phone military park battle lines short movie two hours several hours own pace mile drive drive thru american history shirley house
Reviewed 7 January 2017

This is an absolutely beautiful park. It took us four hours to visit but you could definitely spend longer. We were on a bit of a time crunch. Loved it.

Reviewed 6 January 2017

As a Civil War buff, I've always wanted to visit Vicksburg, and my daughter and I stopped on a cross country drive back from Texas to Virginia.

While it met my expectations, I did not give the site the proper amount of time to enjoy. We arrived well after lunch time and with the park closing at 5pm, we didn't have time to watch the orientation film in the visitors center or browse the small museum, opting instead to head right out for the self guided driving tour.

Through no fault of anyone's but my own, I was not able to give enough time to soak in the sights and the history -- at least not to my own level of expectation (my daughter might disagree!) but we were able to finish the tour and get a good sense of the place. I purchased a DVD copy of the orientation film to watch later.

One piece of advice I would give to the park -- consider an audit of your driving signage. A couple of times we got turned around and had to drive through a couple of parts of the park we had already seen, and given our time constraints, led to rushing at the end. Maybe signs that indicate "main driving route" and "side or auxiliary routes".

Also, as we finished the tour after park closing (5:20 or so) and the sun had set, we had a hard time simply getting out of the park. The exit near the visitor center had an automatic gate, but a tiny little sign on the gate itself that tells you to slowly approach the gate and it will retract. I would suggest a larger sign on the road for those late leavers like myself. I saw the closed gate and assumed I needed to find another route. A few minutes of wandering and dodging deer later, we encountered a friendly local man walking in the park, who told us how to exit. Otherwise, we would have been calling for help.

Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

We stayed the night in Vicksburg on the way from Georgia to Texas. We decided to drive through the park before getting back on the road. It was a very dark and dreary day, so it really set the mood to drive through. We didn't get to spend near as much time as I would have liked, but it was well worth the stop. My husband and I wanna go back and spend more time walking around the park. I would definitely recommend taking the time to go through it. Stop in the visitor center as well for an awesome history lesson.

Reviewed 1 January 2017

There's just so much history here that an interpreter is a must. Start with the orientation film and the illuminated display of the course of the siege to get a feel for the action.

Reviewed 1 January 2017 via mobile

This time around, my husband and I only had time for the orientation film at the Welcome Center and the 1.5 hour audio tour. We could have spent all day admiring the monuments, reading the markers, and reflecting on the tragedy that was the American Civil War. On an earlier trip, we had all day to do a lot of exploring on foot, which provided a better feel for what it must have been like.

The Park Service has done a good job designing tours to fit the needs of a wide variety of tourists - different interests, degrees of fitness, and available time. Kudos!