“Excellent experience”

Vicksburg National Military Park
Ranked #2 of 39 things to do in Vicksburg
More attraction details
Owner description: 1800 acres of now peaceful countryside, this park was once the scene of a bloody 47-day Civil War battle.
Reviewed 9 January 2017 via mobile

Knowing very little about this battle other than what I learned many years ago I feel like I was taken back in time today. I definitely felt the sadness of a time when our country was tearing itself apart. I definitely appreciate the time it took to gather the information to put together this Historic Landmark for all the world to be able to visit and appreciate.

All reviews
in 22 reviews
"gift shop"
in 58 reviews

Reviewed 7 January 2017

This is an absolutely beautiful park. It took us four hours to visit but you could definitely spend longer. We were on a bit of a time crunch. Loved it.

Reviewed 6 January 2017

As a Civil War buff, I've always wanted to visit Vicksburg, and my daughter and I stopped on a cross country drive back from Texas to Virginia.

While it met my expectations, I did not give the site the proper amount of time to enjoy. We arrived well after lunch time and with the park closing at 5pm, we didn't have time to watch the orientation film in the visitors center or browse the small museum, opting instead to head right out for the self guided driving tour.

Through no fault of anyone's but my own, I was not able to give enough time to soak in the sights and the history -- at least not to my own level of expectation (my daughter might disagree!) but we were able to finish the tour and get a good sense of the place. I purchased a DVD copy of the orientation film to watch later.

One piece of advice I would give to the park -- consider an audit of your driving signage. A couple of times we got turned around and had to drive through a couple of parts of the park we had already seen, and given our time constraints, led to rushing at the end. Maybe signs that indicate "main driving route" and "side or auxiliary routes".

Also, as we finished the tour after park closing (5:20 or so) and the sun had set, we had a hard time simply getting out of the park. The exit near the visitor center had an automatic gate, but a tiny little sign on the gate itself that tells you to slowly approach the gate and it will retract. I would suggest a larger sign on the road for those late leavers like myself. I saw the closed gate and assumed I needed to find another route. A few minutes of wandering and dodging deer later, we encountered a friendly local man walking in the park, who told us how to exit. Otherwise, we would have been calling for help.

Reviewed 3 January 2017 via mobile

We stayed the night in Vicksburg on the way from Georgia to Texas. We decided to drive through the park before getting back on the road. It was a very dark and dreary day, so it really set the mood to drive through. We didn't get to spend near as much time as I would have liked, but it was well worth the stop. My husband and I wanna go back and spend more time walking around the park. I would definitely recommend taking the time to go through it. Stop in the visitor center as well for an awesome history lesson.