“What a treat!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Great Valley House of Valley Forge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Valley Forge
Great Valley House of Valley Forge
Ranked #1 of 1 Valley Forge B&B and Inns
OldHistoryLover
“What a treat!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2007

We were looking for a quiet getaway and the Great Valley House provided just the place. From the stone walls, wonderful antiques, great breakfasts - this was a real treat! We enjoyed the peace and quiet and the warm welcoming personality of the innkeeper. In a world of cell phones and emails, this 300-yr. old house brings back memories of long ag. Thank you and we will be back!

Stayed October 2007
2 Thank OldHistoryLover
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Southside Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2007

We stay in many B&B's. In fact, Great Valley House was the 3rd inn we had stayed in over a 2 week period. As others have said, the house is a historic home in Valley Forge, PA. When you pull into the drive, there are no directions as to where to go. The only options we saw was a garage door with a clear path and a small walkway overgrown with bushes. Luckily, we chose correctly and took the walkway. The house is extremely cluttered and I do mean extremely cluttered. Our room was large, but again cluttered to the point that there was no place to set anything on a table, etc. We were to have a private bath which ended up located in the hall. That's fine, but the small trickle of water which made up the shower with the water temp changing according to who else in the house was using water was not. Neither were the selection of bath products availabe for use. All had either been used before or worse yet, were from other chain hotels, such as Holiday Inn..the names clearly printed on the products. My worse problem with the inn was that our room and bath were not clean. Our breakfast was poor and our innkeeper a little too consumed with herself and not her guests. What a shame. This historic home, if left simple and true to the period in which it was built, would have been lovely.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
14 Thank 2Virginia

Travellers are raving about these Valley Forge hotels

cleveland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2007

I was in the area on business and I wanted to enjoy some of the local history of Valley Forge. A friend of mine recommended that I stay at the Great Valley House of Valley Forge, a 300-yr. old bed & breakfast in Malvern, PA. In addition to being incredibly convenient for work -- the place is on 4 acres w/swimming pool. It was much more than I expected. The owner was quite helpful with directions and a local resturant map. When I told my business associates at work about the breakfasts - they were certainly jealous! Not your typical hotel food. I stayed 3 days and enjoyed 3 different breakfasts - apple blintzes, southwest souffle and great french toast. I will certainly recommend this place to my friends and I intent to come back when in the area!

• Liked — Historic Bed & Breakfast
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank onetwoCleveland
Lansing, MI
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2007

A beautiful old house, but invisible under the owner's sprawling collections of dolls, quilts, toys and other knick-knacks. There's a particularly chilling collection of mannequins dressed in wedding gowns in one of the front parlors. The owner herself was overbearing, patronizing and passive-agressive. We like to stay at B&Bs and enjoy making conversation over the breakfast table with new acquaintances, but at the Great Valley House we felt imprisoned in our seats while the owner boasted loudly about her house, her antiques, even her daughter's musical skills. Politely telling her that we had an agenda for the day (and couldn't wait to get out of the dimly lit, overcrowded kitchen) was always met with stiff disapproval and disappointment. I have never felt so uncomfortable in any establishment before.

The rooms themselves are rather nice, although equally crammed with toys and quilts. We had specially requested the room with en-suite bath tub, only to be told when we arrived that the owner specifically bans use of the tub for baths -- strictly showers only.

This is a historic, 17th century house with a great deal of charm. The breakfast foods were creative and well-cooked (though note: you eat what you're given -- the menu is whatever the owner feels like cooking) and the rooms were fairly spacious. However, the manner of the owner and the tremendous amount of clutter far outweigh any advantages to staying at the Great Valley House.

• Liked — The historic nature of the house
  • Disliked — The owner and her frightening mannequins
  • Stayed March 2005, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
15 Thank powerfrau21
Washington, DC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2005

This was a perfect location and a beautiful, historical house. I was the only guest for two mid-week nights (although it was sold out the next weekend). As with the other review, I must agree that it was a little chilly - especially in the bathroom. The owner - who was friendly enough and for the most part left me alone - did warn me that the water needs to heat for a few moments (and also asked that I not let it run too long, as they have a well). I spent very little time in the common areas as I had the rest of the house to myself and my room was very welcoming. The original part of the house - where you eat breakfast (which wasn't nearly what it could or should have been) - was pretty neat, particularly the fireplace.

But ... the entire house could have been cleaner. A lot cleaner. Particularly the breakfast room. Cluttered, dusty, just yucky. Common areas, too. My room had lots of dust. Shame, too, because it was a beautiful room.

• Stayed December 2004
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank PaulMaynard
Also consider these accommodations in or near Valley Forge
8.1 km away
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at King of Prussia
BEST WESTERN PLUS The Inn at Kin...
#2 of 16 in King of Prussia
4.1 km away
Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia Great Valley
4.4 km away
Sonesta ES Suites Malvern

Been to Great Valley House of Valley Forge? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK