“value for money”

Ranked #52 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
manila
“value for money”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Stayed in this hotel last September 2010 and I must say that this hotel is value for your money. This is close to downtown Waikiki without its matching price. best of all, you dont need to ask for an upgrade, once they realize they have better rooms for you, they automatically give it to you. We stayed for 2 nights at the hotel and booked their most basic room, we were given a superior room with the coolest bidet water closet. We checked out because we spent 2 nights in Big Island and when we returned we were upgraded to a Family room without us asking. 2 upgrades, what more can i ask for.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank princesscat09
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (128)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My girlfriend and I stayed here for around one week. We were only looking dor a clean place to sleep because we were gonna be out surfing all day long... The staff were nice and polite. The Valet parking was a bit annoying because you always had to wait for the guy.

The hotel is well situated in downtown Waikiki, walking distance from everything (5-10 mins max.) including the beach. In the morning we would leave the hotel with nothing but our boards and swimwear walk barefoot to the beach.

We didn't expect much of our room for the price but we were pleasently sruprised. Not much view on the beach, but a good one on the golf course and the mountains, which is as good to me as the ocean. But like I said we weren't there to spend our days in the room. If you're expecting a big 5-star resort you should choose another hotel. Our room was small, yet very clean, which was the most important criteria for us. Breakfast was a bit disapointing in size, but you can always pay extra and go to the hotel's restaurant, but toast, fruit and juice was enough for us.

• Stayed July 2011
5 Thank Lazboy1990
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 24 February 2012

I've returned from a lengthy stay at the Sand Villa and really can't say enough good things about it. My room was exactly what I asked for: high floor with a view of the canal and Diamond Head. Every request I made was taken care of promptly. for example, one day, soon after checking in, I mentioned to the housekeeper that the sliding glass door to the lanai was difficult to open and that the fridge wasn't cold enough. Then I went to the beach. When I returned, the door was greased and I had a new fridge. The staff is very friendly and helpful. I got a thank you note from the housekeeper for leaving her a few dollars. The desk person helped to print out our boarding passes. And, on the last day, the bartender managed to serve our lunch poolside although she was the only one there.
I loved the pool and the spa which was nice and hot--it felt great for my arthritis. When I travel in the midwest, a pet peeve of mine, is that the spas are lukewarm because they function as kiddie pools. this one was clearly for adults.
The bar and restaurant is terrific. Food is reasonably priced, the customers are friendly, and, once again, the bartender, Deb, couldn't have been nicer.
I will definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: I like to have a room on a high floor with a view of the canal.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
5 Thank MalibooNewYork
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This hotel is not even a one star. It has never been updated..never. The first nite they had to come and change the sheets as they were dirty! The blanket on the bed was so old they took that away also.When u turned on the bathroom taps they ran all over leaking on everything .They had one old ratty towel per person .When the person in the next room sneezed it was like they were beside u ...u could hear everything...it is a terrible hotel to stay at.

Room Tip: There are not any good rooms in this hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank flinflon53

Travellers are raving about these Honolulu hotels

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 17 February 2012

This was our third stay at Waikiki Sand Villa. First trips were in 2006 and 2007. We chose this hotel because of the cheap fares, the location (canal view but from a walking distance to Waikiki beach), the free wi-fi internet and the breakfast included in the price.

In February 2012, we came back at this hotel, this time with our daughter. The hotel has barely changed (some renovations) but some changes disappointed us. First, the breakfast. They gave us 7 coupons to get a free breakfast. Now, you don't help yourself as in the past, you have to wait in line in a narrow space to receive toasts, butter and an awful and dry croissant. And worst, canned pineapples! In Hawaii, yes...I guess the coupons thing was to avoid people from outside the hotel to get free breakfasts, but it's annoying to be a guest and be served like in a cafeteria. You want another breakfast, you need another coupon. I disliked that.

Otherwise, this hotel is still ok. The pool is nice, the spa too (but too warm, I haven't seen anyone who was able to stay in the water more than 10 min). One more thing I dislike: you need a key to go to the fitness room. No, your room key won't work, you need another one. When you ask for the key, it works for a day only, if you want to go back to workout, you need to reactivate the key at the front desk.

The staff is nice, nothing wrong to say. The rooms are OK, no more carpet (yeah!) so more cleanliness I guess. But look, the air filter in the bathroom was DIRTY. The humidity will stick in the bathroom. I mean, I don't really mind as it's not my property, but all of the humidity goes inside the walls so sooner or later, Waikiki Sand Villa is gonna have serious problems to face.

We like the restaurant bar at this hotel, food and drinks are good, decent prices...but LOOK CLOSELY AT YOUR BILL. We have been served by a lady named TAMMY, she wasn't nice to us, asked us for ID's and even asked us for our date of birth to make sure the id's were ours (even if we were obviously in our 30's with a 4 year old girl) and later she came back with the bill (with no pen to sign the receipt) she added 20% for her tips...!! Hey, I'm the one who decide how much I give based on your service and it's certainly doesn't worth 20%! She received 12% only because of her bad attitude.

But the second time we came to eat there we got served by a very nice lady so I guess we weren't lucky the first time. Of course, this nice waitress got a good tip.

I would still recommend this hotel if you are on a budget, don't mind to be in a modest hotel and planned to go outdoor all day to enjoy Hawaii.

Room Tip: I think the suites have no elevators. Ask before.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family