“don't plan on sleeping in.”

Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach
Ranked #51 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I'll start with the positive.It wasn't a terrible place to stay.The ladies at the front desk were very nice as were all the small shops located in the hotel.The ABC store was my favorite place,everyone was nice and the store had everything you may have forgotten,plus all the great trinkets,shirts,food and snacks.We were on the 17th floor tower.It was clean & we had a nice view of the beach(which had construction equipment everywhere).they were pumping sand onto the beach & they had dump trucks running on the beach out front. It's very noisy even with the sliding door closed just because it's a city! sirens,people ,cars. We had a fridge,safe box(not charged for using)coffee pot with coffee & tea.bathroom had hair dryer,soaps,shampoo.no fan or heater though. You wouldnt think you'd want a heater in the room but it was cool at night & heater didnt work.As far as housekeeping I believe they clean the rooms of the people who are leaving that day then come back to others who are staying on longer.As it were ,they usually didn't get to our floor until 3-4pm. Since I didn't need my room cleaned everyday I would find them in the hall and ask for just towels,you only have enough towels for the day,If you have kids you might not have enough though.They were very nice about it .Also on the second floor is a guest travel service,she was very nice in helping us figure out which bus we needed to go to Ala Mona mall. The pool & hot tub were small outdoors & usually crowded.There is adequate laundry facility on the roof ,.We got vouchers for the restaurant for breakfast.The food was just horrible.they had american version & asian version of food to choose from.Don't eat the eggs! but they have fresh fruit,bagels,toast,french toast,muffings etc. There's a mcdonalds close by with spam & eggs option,plus the normal menu.A starbucks is about 2 blocks down by the zoo side,also a burger king . We usually ate at maui taco at the food court at the royal hawaiian center.It's a mall and on the second floor is a food court.Also a KFC on the street of Ka 'iulani if you want reasonable priced foods.You only have to cross the street to get to the beach,however there are lot's of homeless people along the hotel.Most were unconcerning ,but a few were scary.it's ok to walk the shops at night,just hang in with the crowd,but I wouldn't feel comfortable going to the beach by myself in the evening as people look to be selling & using drugs at the picnic seating by the beach. Just a note it is a huge city & we weren't really ready for that. we are from the country & here we are with skyscrapers & city busses & the noise ! but it was fun for the most part.We will definetely go to a smaller island next time.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room with a microwave for cheaper eats
3  Thank kiannahsmom

Aloha Kiannasmom,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us feed-back. It only helps us get better. I will pass your kind comments on to our great front desk staff - they really try hard to take special care of each guest. I am so sorry for the noise from the beach sand construction project - this was something that all hotels had to deal with as it was a city/county project - you will be happy to hear that it is completed and looks beautiful. I will bring your housekeeping issue to our Executive Housekeeper - and I am sorry for any inconvience that it may have caused. In the future if you let us know what time you would like housekeeping to come and service your room we can make that arrangement for you. I am sorry that the restaurant did not meet your expectations and will pass your comments on to management. One more bit of good news - the homeless issue in front of the hotel has been resolved and is no longer a problem. We hope that you will come back and see us again in the future - I would be delighted to look after your reservation. I can be reached at graycem@hthcorp.com or 808-441-4857. Again, thank you so much for your feed-back....A Hui Hou
Grayce McCullough Corporate Director of Public Relations and Communications

Reviewed 4 April 2012

Recently stayed here after a cruise from Sydney to Honolulu. The Hotel is in great position , straight across from the beach, our room had a good view up the beach, we enjoyed sitting taking in the view of an afternoon with a few beers. If you are Australian, you will be disappointed with the beach as we were. The water is not clear and crisp, it is a murky, milky green colour, when i went swimming my face stung, it was very salty or acidic. I usually swim for 30-60mins, but i could only stay in 2-3 minutes. I recommend either staying up the north shore of Oahu, there are heaps of nicer beaches there, with clear blue water, but watch for the shore dumpers. When we visited Sunset beach the water looked great, but of the 100 or so on the beach only 3 people were swimming, this was enough to put me off, the shore break was dangerous, the depth drops off quite dramatically!!! Only good for surfers or extremely good swimmers. I also reccommend staying at Kaanapli Beach on Maui as a good alternative to staying at Waikiki. See also my review of Kuola Ranch and Pearl Harbour.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pumpa11

Aloha pumpa11,

Yes, you are right - we do have the best location in Waikiki just steps to the beach and we are so delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we are doing - it only helps us get better. Please come and see us again soon and I would be delighted to look after your reservation - I can be reached at graycem@hthcorp.com or 808-441-4857 - A Hui Hou

Grayce McCullough
Corporate Director of Publiuc Relations and Communications

Reviewed 30 March 2012

After checking in no one told me that it would cost $3/day to use the in room safe. As an experienced traveler i never had to pay to protect my personal items, definate dissappointment! I was even discourage when i found out that you not only charge $10 for internet but also you dont provide WIFI...Seriously? Its 2012...WIFI is expected. I was extremely frustrated as i chose your hotel due to the reviews that i have read on trip advisor. After speaking with my wife she encouraged to voice my concerns. I called and asked for the manager and i was connected to a Tyler. Tyler not only listened to my concerns but i feel that he actually understood where i was coming from. After offering some great alternatives he also took the time to recommed some amazing restaurants on waikiki.

Way to go Tyler...We will be back!

4  Thank brendahinton503

Aloha brendahinton503,

Thank you for taking the time to give us feed-back - it only helps us get better. We agree with your comments on the WIFI issue and right now it is the number one corporate priority. We hope to have it resolved in the near future. We hope that you will come and stay with us on your next trip to Honolulu and I will be happy to look after your reservation. I can be reached at graycem@hthcorp.com or 808-441-4857.

A Hui Hou......Grayce

Reviewed 27 March 2012

Had two nights at this hotel. It's in desperate need of a refresh. We had an early morning tour and woke up to NO HOT WATER! We were dreading our second night and couldn't leave soon enough.

I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: I don't think there's a "good" room. We faced the ocean but we heard music from th...
1  Thank DawnR17
Reviewed 25 March 2012

We stayed at Pacific Beach for our anniversary. It was fantastic.We loved eating at the hotel. The food was great and the breakfast buffet was wonderful. The view from our balcony was great and we could walk everywhere we wanted to go.

Room Tip: The hotel is across the street from the beach so we got a room about five floors up for a good view...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lemonade65
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Aloha Lemonade65

You are so right - our location and views are the best and sounds as if you really enjoyed your time on the lanai. Being right in the "heart" of Waikiki across from one of the best beach's in the world - makes vacation time so relaxing - just a few steps and you are on the beach - how good does it get!. Yes, the breakfast buffet in the Oceanarium Restaurant is fantastic (we have just added several new items - I am sure you will enjoy) and the staff really makes the difference.
Again we truly appreciate your taking the time to post feed-back - it only helps us get better. We look forward to your next visit and I will be happy to look after your reservation. I can be reached at graycem@hthcorp.com or 808-441-4857.....A Hui Hou
Grayce McCullough - Corporate Director of Public Relations and Communications