“VERY PLEASED!”

Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach
Ranked #51 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 23 March 2012

My husband and I had heard negative reviews pertaining to 'bed bugs' and had some reservations about our upcoming stay at the Pacific Beach Hotel. I contacted management via letter prior to our trip and was contacted before our arrival and welcomed upon our arrival by the Sr. Director of Sales, Leah Sherman. She assured us that we should fully expect a positive experience during our stay and requested that we contact her if we were not 100% satisfied, leaving us with her contact number. Our 8 night stay was wonderful. The location could not have been better as we chose not to rent a car and take tours with pickups at our hotel. We were withing walking distance to stores, places to get a quick bite to eat, as well as nicer restaurants. We really enjoyed our experience at the "Oceanarium" restaurant buffet. We were able to book tours right from Aloha VIP tours on site on the ground floor of the hotel. We were within walking distance of nightly entertainment on the streets of Waikaiki and across the street from the beach. I found the coin laundry convenient and the ABC store so close, replentished the few items I ran out of. The room itself was very adequate. Comfortable and clean with beautiful views of the ocean and for us Diamond Head. I found all the staff to be friendly and attentive. Our stay at the Pacific Beach Hotel was very positive and I would not hesitate to recommend it to my friends! Aloha!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank jan h
Management response:Responded 4 July 2012

Aloha Jan,

Thank you for your feed-back on your stay at the Pacific Beach Hotel and we are so happy you contacted Leah prior to your arrival(she is wonderful). We are delighted to hear that your stay was great and that you would come again. I will pass all of your feed-back on to the staff - they will be so pleased to hear your comments. We hope that your travels will bring you back to Hawaii and the Pacific Beach Hotel in the near future. I will be happy to look after your reservation and I am sure Leah will be delighted to assist. I can be reached at graycem@hthcorp.com or 808-441-4857.
A Hui Hou......

Grayce McCullough
Corporate Director of Public Relations and Communications

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 21 March 2012

We have been tp Honolulu 3 times before and have always stayed at the north end of Waikiki. This time we stayed at the other end at the Pacific Beach. A well located hotel with friendly staff. We had a double room with partial ocean views for 8 days. The partial ocean view room is on the side of the hotel and you still have a big unobstructed view of the ocean. We had the morning sun on our side and the verandah had 2 chairs and small table. Very pleasant for afternoon drinks before dinner. The hotel restauarant buffet was excellant. We attended the Thursday night buffet with Alaskan king crab abd Snow crab in abundance. The oceanarium was a nice back drop with the divers feeding the fish during dinner. The room was large and well appointed. The room was clean and serviced daily to a high standard. Large flat screen TV and table with 2 chairs to sit at. Small desk and chair. King size bed. The bathroom was roomy and well appointed with tooth brush, paste soap etc. Coffee filter supplied and fresh sachel each day of a very nice local coffee. Convenience store on the ground floor and also some specialty shops. The local area had everything you could want from food to shopping. Local bus transport was at the end of the street and very easy to use. Crossing the street was easy as there was traffic lights outside the hotel with crossing lights. We had a great stay and would definately stay there again and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor as the street noise is definately there. We were on the 8th floor and there wa...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Greg W
Reviewed 8 March 2012

I recently stayed at the Pacific Beach Hotel in Waikiki in Feb of 2012. I had read reports online of the bed bugs and was quite concerned about it, but as I was given the trip as a gift and I did not choose the hotel, I chose to go and act with as much vigilance as possible when arriving at the hotel. I read online about how to check for bed bugs, and upon arriving at the hotel I checked for them as best as possible. Although we did not realize there was a problem while staying at the hotel, until one day after getting home my arm started to break out in bites and welts. Literature you can read online by professionals will reinforce that bed bugs are hard to spot and the welts can appear up to 10 days after being bitten. This is the reasoning we didn’t realize there was a problem, nor did we report the problem when we were at the hotel. If we would have realized while still there we 100% would have addressed the issue. Upon arriving home and realizing this we were understandably upset and began taking precautions to ensure they did not spread into our home.

As this was an unfavorable and upsetting experience for us we wanted to do our due diligence and ensure other vacationing individuals did not have to go through this experience. Upon contacting the hotel about the issue, our experience with the hotel got worse and worse. We asked to speak with the hotel manager, and after hearing about the issue he was rude, condescending, and unprofessional. He refused to believe that they were from the hotel and accused us of lying and saying we must have got it from another hotel. As two separate individuals that live approximatively 400 miles apart and the only thing we had shared in common was sleeping in the same hotel room this seems highly improbable. The only place we stayed this trip to Hawaii was the room at Pacific Beach Hotel.

This hotel is not accepting their corporate and social responsibility in ensuring their guests are safe and have a pleasurable experience. They are not being proactive and taking this problem seriously. Overall very disappointed and will not stay at this hotel ever again.

Bottom line.... DO NOT STAY HERE. The bed bugs are BAD, the service is WORSE!

23  Thank peppera x
travelbygrayce, Public Relations Manager at Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Aloha, Thank you so much for bringing your experience to our attention. I can assure you we take
this issue very seriously and our company mandate is to ensure that if there is a problem it is addressed immediately. I spoke with your Mother (who did not stay at the hotel - however, called on your behalf) last week and have left several messages for her to ask for additional details - and so far have not had a return phone call . We have had the room that you were into inspected by a professional pest company and they did not find any evidence of bed bugs . I do want to apologize if anyone one of our team members was rude to your Mother on the phone that is not acceptable and we are planning a customer service training sessions for the departments involved. Again, we appreciate your taking the time to give us feed-back. If I can be of any additional assistance please let me know. A Hui Hou......................
808-441-4857 or graycem@hthcorp,com

Reviewed 4 March 2012

The rooms are out-dated.There was mold in our bathroom.They only change your bed sheets on request.There is no late night room key check,so anyone has access.Somehow this hotel has a rating of 3 stars its more like a 2 star.The only plus this hotel(but not the only hotel) has is that it is across the street from the beach.Spend your money elsewhere.One other thing the pool is very small.

Room Tip: If you like outdated rooms this hotel is for you
1  Thank andrew d

Aloha, Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay - and yes, our location - right across from the beach is excellent - just 60-short steps to famous Waikiki Beach, how good does it get!!. We do appreciate the feed-back on your stay - it only helps us get better. I do need to let you know we do have controlled access to the hotel at night - the Kalakaua door is locked from 11PM till 5AM Oceanarium Tower door is locked from 9PM till 5AM. All parking garage doors with direct access to the hotel are locked at 9PM. During these hours all guests must enter and/or exit from the main entrance - with full security cameras in operation. Also, we do work at being responsible to the enviorment - natural resources are so precious - sheets are changed every third day or daily upon request - this is becoming the hotel industry standard. Our pool is a "swimmers pool" - I will pass all of your comments on to our department heads for action. Again, thank you and we do hope that you will give us another chance on your next visit to Honolulu. I will be delighted to look after your reservation. A Hui Hou..........
808-441-4857 or graycem@hthcorp,com

Reviewed 28 February 2012

Not recommended!
Recently, my daughter and I went to Hawaii. I have been three times before. Friends were staying farther away from where we normally stay, so we decided to move closer to them this time. On the internet, the place looked incredible.
We were thrilled to see the beach right across the street from us. That was definitely a plus. The staff was very friendly and kind as well as helpful. Another plus.
But...when we walked into this beautiful lobby, we couldn't help but see how old everything was. And the smell....it was awful! We went up to our room, which was quite big, we realized how musty it smelled in the hall and the room. Everything was old tool
We had read there was a safe. Oh, there is alright, but it is $3.00 to use it, which we presume was every time. My daughter could actually pick it up and carry it around! What good is a safe if you can pick it up and pack it off????????????
And what is with only green tea. I like a cup of green tea now and then, but not as a steady diet. Thank goodness I had brought some of my own.
Now, the pool...never did go in it. Only a few brave souls did. It is a very small pool and very cold. Some young guys went in there and couldn't believe how cold it was. A couple of them jumped right back out. The hot tub was as warm as bathwater. Only one person we saw used it. Most of the time there were only a few sunbathers.
The beds were rock hard and so were the pillows!
On our last day, we were shocked to see a few hundred people picketting outside our hotel room. That was not cool! The picketters were very respectful and it was well organized, but that was not what we thought we would see.
Last but not least, we often waited a very long time for an elevator.
Needless to say, from all of the above, we will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask not to be put over the smoking area on the pool deck. That was awful sitting on the lanai and sm...
5  Thank Donna R
travelbygrayce, Public Relations Manager at Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Aloha, Mahalo for taking the time to give us feed-back on your recent stay. We humbly apologize for not meeting your expectations. We do appreciate your kind comments on our excellent staff and will pass them on.....your right our location directly across from the beach - is wonderful. I have passed your comments on the halls and tea in the rooms to the department heads. Excellent suggestions - your feed-back can only help us get better. I have also notified the head of maintenence regarding the hot tub - our "swimmers" pool is heated by the sun. We do hope that you will give us another chance on your next visit to the islands and I will be delighted to look after your reservation. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance. A Hui Hou,
graycem@hthcorp.com