“They say 3 star more like a 2 star hotel.”

Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach
Ranked #51 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 4 March 2012

The rooms are out-dated.There was mold in our bathroom.They only change your bed sheets on request.There is no late night room key check,so anyone has access.Somehow this hotel has a rating of 3 stars its more like a 2 star.The only plus this hotel(but not the only hotel) has is that it is across the street from the beach.Spend your money elsewhere.One other thing the pool is very small.

Room Tip: If you like outdated rooms this hotel is for you
1  Thank andrew d
travelbygrayce, Public Relations Manager at Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 15 March 2012

Aloha, Thank you for taking time to review your recent stay - and yes, our location - right across from the beach is excellent - just 60-short steps to famous Waikiki Beach, how good does it get!!. We do appreciate the feed-back on your stay - it only helps us get better. I do need to let you know we do have controlled access to the hotel at night - the Kalakaua door is locked from 11PM till 5AM Oceanarium Tower door is locked from 9PM till 5AM. All parking garage doors with direct access to the hotel are locked at 9PM. During these hours all guests must enter and/or exit from the main entrance - with full security cameras in operation. Also, we do work at being responsible to the enviorment - natural resources are so precious - sheets are changed every third day or daily upon request - this is becoming the hotel industry standard. Our pool is a "swimmers pool" - I will pass all of your comments on to our department heads for action. Again, thank you and we do hope that you will give us another chance on your next visit to Honolulu. I will be delighted to look after your reservation. A Hui Hou..........
Grayce McCullough, Corporate Director Public Relations and Marketing
808-441-4857 or graycem@hthcorp,com

Reviewed 28 February 2012

Not recommended!
Recently, my daughter and I went to Hawaii. I have been three times before. Friends were staying farther away from where we normally stay, so we decided to move closer to them this time. On the internet, the place looked incredible.
We were thrilled to see the beach right across the street from us. That was definitely a plus. The staff was very friendly and kind as well as helpful. Another plus.
But...when we walked into this beautiful lobby, we couldn't help but see how old everything was. And the smell....it was awful! We went up to our room, which was quite big, we realized how musty it smelled in the hall and the room. Everything was old tool
We had read there was a safe. Oh, there is alright, but it is $3.00 to use it, which we presume was every time. My daughter could actually pick it up and carry it around! What good is a safe if you can pick it up and pack it off????????????
And what is with only green tea. I like a cup of green tea now and then, but not as a steady diet. Thank goodness I had brought some of my own.
Now, the pool...never did go in it. Only a few brave souls did. It is a very small pool and very cold. Some young guys went in there and couldn't believe how cold it was. A couple of them jumped right back out. The hot tub was as warm as bathwater. Only one person we saw used it. Most of the time there were only a few sunbathers.
The beds were rock hard and so were the pillows!
On our last day, we were shocked to see a few hundred people picketting outside our hotel room. That was not cool! The picketters were very respectful and it was well organized, but that was not what we thought we would see.
Last but not least, we often waited a very long time for an elevator.
Needless to say, from all of the above, we will never stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask not to be put over the smoking area on the pool deck. That was awful sitting on the lanai and sm...
5  Thank Donna R
travelbygrayce, Public Relations Manager at Alohilani Resort Waikiki Beach, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Aloha, Mahalo for taking the time to give us feed-back on your recent stay. We humbly apologize for not meeting your expectations. We do appreciate your kind comments on our excellent staff and will pass them on.....your right our location directly across from the beach - is wonderful. I have passed your comments on the halls and tea in the rooms to the department heads. Excellent suggestions - your feed-back can only help us get better. I have also notified the head of maintenence regarding the hot tub - our "swimmers" pool is heated by the sun. We do hope that you will give us another chance on your next visit to the islands and I will be delighted to look after your reservation. Please let me know if I can be of any assistance. A Hui Hou,
Grayce McCullough, Corporate Director Public Relations and Marketing

Reviewed 27 February 2012

This hotel has a great seafood buffet with a huge two story aquarium in the restaurant. We watched mermaids feed the fish while enjoying crab and prime rib. The seafood is the freshest I have had in Hawaii. There is a very small bar in the restaurant but it was filled with patrons eating dinner. I would have liked to have a drink before we ate. We were directed outside around the corner to an adjacent outdoor "bar." It served a limited choice of beer and several mixed tropical drinks and was not what I had in mind for a predinner drink. The hotel staff were pleasant and helpful. It is located very close to the center of Waikiki beach so within walking distance of the whole of Kalakaua Avenue which runs along the water. Our room was booked on the internet so we had a view of a parking lot and the bathroom had a sink but no counter to put things on. Overall this was adequate for business and maybe the youthful crowd who won't spend much time indoors.

Room Tip: We asked for and did receive a room with two beds.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank medanne1

Aloha, Mahalo for your feed-back on your recent stay at the Pacific Beach Hotel we truly appreciate the fact you take the time to let us know how we are doing. Yes, the buffet is the best around and I will pass your comments on to the Chef and Director of Food and Beverage. I know they will be pleased. Thank You!!! I will also pass your comments on about the bar area for a pre dinner drink - good suggestion. Also we appreciate your kind comments on the staff - they really are the best - we are so fortunate to have a great team that truly enjoys taking care of our guests. We hope that you will return in the future and if I can do anything for you please let me know. A Hui Hou,
Grayce McCullough - Corporate Director of Public Relations and Marketing

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Although the staff at this hotel was great, and the rooms were clean, I would not recommend this hotel. Mainly because of the beds.

Our last day at the hotel, there were protests in front of the hotel by old staff. When we enquired what it was about, no one really said anything. I googled it when I got home. We were not pre-warned about this, but there was a lot of security. The protests were very peaceful and we did not feel in danger at any time, but if we had known this was going on, we would never have stayed there in the first place.

The beds were rock hard, the lobby always smelled terrible from the buffet, and the elevators were super slow. Our room was on the 9th Floor overlooking the smoking area. Which, for me was disgusting since I am not a smoker. The very odd time you could smell it. It really took away from our enjoyment out on the lenai. We did have a partial view of the ocean which looked beautiful.The pool was ok, but when I went to go in the hot tub it was luke warm. The beach was right across the street tho, so we just went there.

The pictures of this hotel on its website made it look incredible, but it was not actually anywhere near as good as the pictures made it look.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as high up as possible (It`s a very noisy area. The hotel itself is not noisy, its th...
3  Thank MissTravel32

Aloha, Mahalo for taking the time to give us feed-back on your recent stay and we humbly apologize for not meeting your expectations. I have asked each department head to look into the areas of concern. We are in the process of changing out beds and the project is on-going. We are pleased that you enjoyed the view from your room and yes the location right across from the beach is excellent. Our pool is a "swimmers" pool and maintenence is looking into the temperture of the hot tub. Again, your feed-back helps us get better. I have also asked our security department to look into the smoking areas. We do hope that you will give us another chance in the future and I would be pleased to look after your reservation. A Hui Hou..........
Grayce McCullough
Corporate Director Public Relations and Marketing

Reviewed 20 February 2012

As usual we had great service from the staff, and personnell.
The workers were like Canada from the Phillipines and are to be commended on their pleasant and accomodating attitudes.
WE have great memories of the stay and were right on the Beach.

Room Tip: These people loking after guests were great and arranged trips and planned visits to shows. Great l...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank normanwallace

Aloha Canada, Mahalo for your comments. We do pride ourselves on our beachfront location - and appreciate your kind comments on our excellent staff. They truly try to do everything possible to make our guests stay enjoyable. Our guests from Canada are some of the best and we will look forward to your return next year. Again, we appreciate your taking the time to give us feed-back and I will pass the comments on to our operations team.
If I can do anything for you please let me know.
A Hui Hou,