“Busy hotel...”

Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort & Spa
Ranked #24 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights last week and have to say I was expecting more. My wife and I booked a King bed, we got a queen, this was later resolved.

Don't get me wrong the building is beautiful, the beach access is great and the beach bar is excellent.

But on the down side, the rooms are very small, the security in the building is very very questionable, it has the worlds smallest swimming pool and the dining options are very limited.

The wireless internet hardly ever worked in the room and when I tried to get it fixed I was patched through to a support guy, who claims he could never hear me and just hung up, therefore the matter was never resolved.

As for the resort fee, what a rip off this is.

Would I stay here again, not a chance, will I recommend it to travelling friends, probably not!

Room Tip: I would say get in the newer building the rooms are far too small and over-priced in the original bu...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank John W

Reviewed 2 May 2012

The Moana Surfrider has everything going for it in Waikiki. It has the best location, great restaurants and bar, great rooms, great views plus a rich history. Even if you can't afford to stay there you can always have a drink in the great open air bar under the Banyan tree and listen to the great live Hawaiian music. In the middle of the shopping strip.

Room Tip: We were in the original building and had a great view over the pool area and the ocean.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank JEFFJOE
Reviewed 2 May 2012

My entire family and I stayed at Moana for my wedding ceremony and honeymoon. The staff at the catering and the hotel management made me feel at home with their willingness to accomodate my requests to the detail. Who said anything about Hawaii time? This is a place where even a New Yorker like myself find their immediate attention quite pleasing. What a great beginning to a new journey! Mahalo to all my Moana Surfrider friends, including Joanne (catering), Jimmie (my priest), Darcy (guest relations) and Miho (F&B Sales). Thank you guys, and I hope to you see you again on one of my anniversaries!

Room Tip: If you are styaing on the Diamond Wing, the lower the number, the quieter the room is at night!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank SMiles4U17
Reviewed 1 May 2012

Was lucky enough to spend a few days at the Moana in April and loved every minute of it. This hotel is wedding central and you can see why as soon as you see the lobby, it's just gorgeous! The historic section of Honolulu's oldest hotel is blended in well with the newer wings and a fantastic property that I'd live at if I could.

Spend a few nights in the original wing in one of the gable rooms which was huge and comfortable but had tiny windows, so after a couple nights we asked if there would be any availability to move to the new tower and they did so immediately, very prompt friend Front Desk.

We always managed to find a spot at the pool and the F&B service there is really nice. I cant wait to stay again.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Noxy05
Reviewed 1 May 2012

I am just now deciding to write a review for this hotel! We stayed at the Moana Surfrider in June 2010 for our honeymoon....ignore the date listed! We were there for about a week. It was such a neat hotel! Like another review stated it's a little bit of the old and new! The staff was great while we were there. They helped us with whatever we needed. The pool was pretty good. We only used it once. The beach was very nice but kinda small and you definitely have to get down there early to reserve a chair and spot on the beach. We did eat at the restaurant once and loved it!! My favorite part had to be the rocking chairs on the front porch and I loved all the windows/doors that were open all day in the lobby. The ocean breeze would blow through the lobby and it was just amazing! Oh, and our room was small but very cozy, nice and comfortable! We stayed in the main building of the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple