“Affordable, although a "little tired"”

Queen Kapiolani Hotel
Ranked #61 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I had stayed at the "Queen" a few years ago, and overall it is certainly fair value, a great location, and the rooms decent. This year, due to a better offering at an upscale chain, we choose to spend our first night at our "old friend"

Check in was efficient, although only 1 elevator was working, and this apparently had been the case for a while. Our room faced west, with no view, and on turning on the lights, I noted the worn and stained cloth chairs under the window. As we had arrived late in the evening, a shower seemed like a good idea, and on leaving the bathroom, I detected a very wet carpet in the room area. My thoughts are, it may have been from the A/C system. The beds were comfortable enough, and other wise the room was clean.

At $150+ per night (plus tx) there are a lot of other options out there. The Queen could use a real hood overhaul and coat of paint, i n my humble opinion. I understood, tourism is up currently in Waikiki, but I feel, there are better values in the same area of town.

Room Tip: The rooms, on the Park side, facing East, have a wonderful view of Diamond Head, and the Ocean.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank SprBaje
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Queen Kapiolani Hotel

Reviewed 6 March 2012

Okay, it's not horrible, if you just want to stay the night and get Waikiki done and over with. The location is good. I like that it's on the end of the hotel zone, but it's not really a property you want to indulge in either. If you pretend you're in the back streets of Brazil or Bangkok, the hotel is not too bad, as it seems like it's slightly third-world upon first inspection. After a while you get used to it. Some of the service isn't too bad.

Here's my beef:

I admit I have sour grapes because I splurged and paid extra for a room with a view of diamond head. I also requested a high floor, because I read about the street noise problem. Mind you, I requested a high floor a month prior to my visit. When they told me, upon arrival, that the hotel was booked, and the room they were giving me was all they had, I accepted my defeat with grace and civility. Did not love the room, since I have issues with room layouts when the door to the hallway is RIGHT next to your bed! Well, when my friend arrived later, having NOT paid for the upgrade like I did, but had reserved a standard room, he got at no additional cost a PENTHOUSE SUITE!! I know these things happen and someone can get lucky, but I was still irked that this injustice would happen, when I'd been told there were no higher floors for me! So I talked to them, and they said nothing could be done, unless I wanted to pay extra for the upgrade. Next day after the maintenance man spent over an HOUR taking the clogged sink apart (the bathtub was also not draining properly) I called to see if I could use that as leverage to get a better room. No can do! I said I had trouble sleeping with the street noise, and that my experience in the room was a disaster. They said, nothing can be done.

In short, it's not the worst hotel in the world, but I'd pay extra to stay anywhere else!!

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room on a higher floor, and something beyond the standard room, which is too sma...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Darenski
Reviewed 5 March 2012

We just returned from staying five nights at the Queen. Our room was beautiful with a perfectly positioned lanai for lovely view of Diamond Head. Right by the zoo and Kapiolani Park, we felt we were in nature, not amid the hustle bustle of Waikiki, yet still just a few steps from the beach. The front desk staff was extremely helpful, the room extremely comfortable and clean. Having stayed at the Queen Kapiolani many times in the past, we could appreciate the success of the renovations recently completed, so felt our stay to be well worth what we paid.
We will definitely return to this hotel when we return to Oahu, as well as recommend it whole-heartedly to our friends.

Room Tip: Try to get a Diamond Head view with a lanai.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 March 2012

Just completed a two weeks stay at the kapiolani....being a frequent traveller to Waikiki, i wanted to share my taught with you.

This hotel is remarkably located at the end of the waikiki strip....it's a little bit more quiet and you are close to the kapiolani park....you have the advatage of the park plus the access to the beach which is also much less crowded.Also if you do have a car you will find plenty of space to park it around the hotel for free...i was able to park mine two weeks for free.

The hotel has been through a extensive renovation two years ago.....the room are in great condition...the beds are very confortable.....nice balcony.....and clean bathroom.Contrary to the previous review you do want to stay there...the staff was very helpfull and very honest.....
After a five days stay we left for Kawai,i forgot my power supply in my room,upon my arrival in Kaui i did notice it,i immediately call the hotel to see if the maid had retrived it,fortunately a nice lady by the name of Bik Yiu had found it and brough it back to the front desk,i was able to pick it up upon my retun to Honolulu.....congratulation to her.

There is a nice pool with a nice terrasse which give you a nice view of diamond head.

I will definately return to the queen and would highly recommended it to anyone who want to stay in waikiki...

Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank eaglenest
Reviewed 2 March 2012

This hotel is terrible all around. For the price you're paying to stay at a hawaii hotel, you don't want to stay here! The room we first initially received was super tiny with small twin beds, then we asked to get a single bed room, after threatening to see the manager, we were moved to a small room with a full size bed. the room was so small our 3 luggages didn't even fit the room. the service also is terrible, none of the staff was willing to help us until I got angry and demanded to see the manager. There was mold inside the lamp shade and mold on the ceiling. The AC unit was noisy the toilet doesn't flush well. The bed was not comfortable at all. They can't even use fitted bedsheets, so when I woke up, i was sleeping on the naked mattress. I'm stuck here still and dreading staying here another night! This hotel is simply ruining my vacation. Don't stay here!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank A M
Ron K, General Manager at Queen Kapiolani Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

Aloha!

We sincerely apologize that your visit to the Queen Kapiolani Hotel did not fulfill your
expectations.

Thank you for your comments, for they help identify specific areas that need addressing, so that
future guest do not have the same experience. We are working with the Executive Housekeeper and Maintenance Manager regarding the problems you have noted.

Should you decide to honor us with the privelege and opportunity to provide future accommodations during your next visit to Waikiki, please do not hesitate to contact me and I would be glad to assist your with your reservations.

Again, please accept our most sincere apology.