My wife and I stayed for a week at the Ohana East during April. It was my first time back to Oahu in 30 years!
The hotel was very clean with basic public areas. The 'Kimobean' coffee shop in the lobby was a real plus! The staff was always very helpful. We stayed in a 'standard' room with queen-size bed on the 8th floor. The room was small, but well kept. We had a view northward towards the mountains with a small lanai. This was fine for us, but would be a bit lacking for people used to more opulant accomodations. We could have upgraded to a larger room, but decided for our purposes, this was good. We rented a car during our stay - a must to travel the island on your own schedule. We were able to park at the hotel for $20 / day. The $10 parking mentioned in other reviews is for locals (Kama'aina's), not tourists like us.
A small thing - our room safe was showing a 'low battery' indicator. A call to the front desk had maintenance at our door in 10 min with a replacement. Good service!
One complaint though, we found that the room was noisy. The plumbing groaned off and on and the street noise filtered in. One could hear doors closing in the corridors, sinks and showers running in other suites, toilets flushing, etc. Perhaps it is the age of the hotel (20 years +) before more sound deadining construction was made. We got used to it, but the first night I had to sleep with ear plugs.
Most things in Waikiki are within walking distance. The beach near Duke Kahanamoku statue is a block and a half away. To go farther afield, you can take the excellent trolley service. The trolleys cost $2, but as a guest at the Ohana East, you just have to show your room card and you can ride the 'Pink" line trolley for free! Bonus!
There is a very good Thai restaurant in the base of the hotel called Keoni's. Quite a mixture of tropical drinks! There is also a Pizza / sports bar, and a steak house beneath, but we did not go there.
Overall, this hotel has it's good points (location, clean, good service) and some bad (noisy). This place is good for a stay in Waikiki and not have to pay for the high-end view hotels.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- OHANA(R) Hotels by Outrigger is our mid-tier, off-beach leisure brand where guests will find local hospitality and convenience in paradise. Located in central Waikiki, this Waikiki hotel is just a 7-minute stroll to Waikiki Beach, next door to The International Marketplace and one block from Kalakaua Avenue's shopping and entertainment. OHANA Waikiki East provides safe, clean and well maintained mid-tier accommodation proudly supported by long serving hosts, many who have been with the Outrigger family for over thirty years. OHANA Waikiki East is unlike beachfront resorts where you may choose to spend your time indoors. Rather, it is an enjoyable home base for your Island adventures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your OHANA Waikiki East Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ohana East Hotel Honolulu
- Ohana East Honolulu
- OHANA Waikiki East Hotel Honolulu, Hawaii