All reviewsquiet neighborhoodbed and breakfastnational register of historic placesantique furnishingsgracious hostsfresh fruitown bathroomsalt water poolbreakfast is serveddowntown waikikiour night stayevery morningthe breakfast areapublic areaslight sleeperrented a carcooke
Reviewed 31 August 2017

My wife and I were delighted with our first time in Hawaii, and our stay at Manoa Valley Inn contributed to our enjoyment.

We considered staying downtown (about two miles away) in some of the more expensive resorts, but were deterred by the daily parking charge. We realized that we made a great decision to stay away from all the action once we arrived. It is fun to head downtown during the day or night, but even better to leave the noise and commotion and come back to a quiet refuge.

We stayed in the Master Guild room. It was very spacious and the bed was comfortable. The decor was old. The TV was probably bought last century. There were at least three other couples, but we didn't hear them.

Breakfast was tasty and made to order. Coffee at 7am, cooking by 7:30am. We could eat with other guests in main area, or bring the food upstairs to another sitting room.

If you plan on bringing a car, consider one of a smaller variety. The parking situation is limited. We always had a space to park, but it was harrowing to enter or exit the grounds with the Mustang we rented.

We enjoyed walking the grounds of University of Hawaii. There are a few local eateries and pubs, but for more choices, plan on walking, biking or driving at least a mile.

Also, we are dog people, so reacted positively to the two dogs (one small, one large) that roam the inn. They appear trained not to go upstairs to the guest rooms.

Overall, we felt positively about the Manoa Valley Inn. Should we ever stay in Oahu again, we will likely stay there again.

Room Tip: We never saw any of the other rooms, but would recommend the Master Guild Suite.
Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Reviewed 12 August 2017

I had to fly over to Hawaii for a very quick business trip and needed to find something for 4 days at the Government daily lodging rate. I came upon the Moana Valley Inn and was surprised at the nightly rate - knowing that it included breakfast and free parking.

I should mention that this B&B is literally right around the corner from The University Of Hawaii campus in a quiet neighborhood. It is off the beaten path, but only couple minutes from the H1 and perhaps 10 minutes from downtown Waikiki. Since my work took me closer to the airport everyday, it was most important to have immediate access to the highway.

This 1880's mansion is fantastic and has all its old fashioned charm in the bedrooms and bathrooms as well as the rest of the public areas of the house. Our breakfast was served every morning outside the back door on a very nice veranda. That area was so quiet and tranquil which lended itself to only quiet chatter amongst the guests (library quiet)...

Our hosts served a Japanese interpretation of Breakfast - that was delicious. On the first day, the bacon was steam cooked together with kale. Different but very tasty. The second day was Portuguese sausage medallions steamed with cabbage. Again, very tasty. Instead of pan seared, the potatoes were more like baked potatoes cut into quarters and covered in black pepper from a pepper grinder - delicious but different. Our hosts also offered made to order organic eggs and pancakes.

Juice, Fresh fruit and pastry options were awesome; coffee and tea were great.

Oh, the Inn has a fantastic swimming pool behind the house that can only be described as a hidden paradise. More like a place for meditation and relaxation than anything!

Parking is free at the Inn (downtown hotels average $10-15 daily for parking) but spots are a little tight. If you are driving here from the airport, go for a compact or Economy car.

Needless to say, I will be back to the Manoa Valley Inn!!!

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

During our travel around Oahu someone asked us which tower we were staying in. If you prefer resort-style accomodation and want to stick with the crowds then try somewhere else but if you would like a personalised stay in Hawaii and you just want to relax then this is the place for you. Our flight landed in the early morning. Through prior arrangement, our hosts happily agreed to let us chill out by the pool before our room was ready. We were hoping for a couple of sun lounges so we could catch up on a couple of hours sleep but as the picture shows, we found something better. Everything isn't pristine but this is an old building, with old Hawaii charm. We prefer something with character and this accommodation certainly has that. Our room was clean and comfortable and breakfast was ample. We had a hire car so getting around wasn't a problem but, this place is close enough to the H1 that you are soon on your way to your destination. Our hosts were attentive but discrete - there were little touches everywhere that signalled there efforts to ensure their guests enjoyed a peaceful stay!
p.s. hire the cheapest car from the major car companies because the minimum class appears to be convertible mustangs!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank B5A7
Reviewed 23 June 2017

I traveled for a business trip and the Manoa Valley Inn made a good home base. Quiet and peaceful. Although the downstairs initially gave me pause due to a strong aroma of mothballs, the rest of the inn didn't suffer the same issues. I stayed in the Dole suite and my room was pleasant, clean and comfortable. Other reviewers have noted the odd shower (a sit down bathtub situation) which I didn't love, but I did appreciate having my own bathroom. The hosts were very gracious and welcoming. The mini-fridge in the third floor hallway (shared between the three upstairs rooms) was a nice touch. My day started early, so I only had breakfast twice (it was served from 7:30-9). I wouldn't say it was a standout experience, but it was fine.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Erin B
Reviewed 18 June 2017

Outstanding old world and real world. Treat yourself to a walk back in time.
Felt like being invited into your ancestor's home. The gardens feel so private with wonderful discoveries to make in every nook and cranny.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple