All reviewsquiet neighborhoodbed and breakfastnational register of historic placesantique furnishingsgracious hostsfresh fruitown bathroomsalt water poolbreakfast is serveddowntown waikikiour night stayevery morningthe breakfast areapublic areaslight sleeperrented a carcooke
Reviewed 23 April 2016

This is one of my trickier reviews! Myself & my wife first visited Manoa Valley Inn some years ago & enjoyed our visit. We decided to spend a couple of nights there during our most recent visit.
On the plus side - this is a tranquil, reasonably priced Inn overlooking Waikiki & Diamond Head. It has a very zen feeling about it & a peaceful atmosphere - we found it the perfect place to spend our first couple of nights in Honolulu, recovering from jet lag after a long journey. We were not quite ready to face the hustle & bustle of Waikiki. Lovely views accompanied by a beautifully serene atmosphere is what you get here. Very pleasant staff who cannot do enough for you, breakfast included -eggs to order + fresh fruit, juices , coffee , pastries taken in the garden.
On the negative side- the Inn does need some tender love & affection- wallpaper , rugs & general decor are past their sell by date. It would not take much to bring this 100 year old house back up to a five star Inn.The decor is a bit kitsch , indeed odd, in many cases.
We booked the Davies room on the 3rd floor - I think this is probably one of the best with great views of Diamond Head & Waikiki. Also, we slept with the windows open - lovely, soothing breezes.
I can quite understand negative reviews but if you accept that this is a quaint, 100 year old property that is decorated in a rather haphazard fashion but which is a well priced, peaceful , tranquil oasis in which to spend a couple of days then I think you will enjoy the experience

Room Tip: The Davies room on the 3rd floor
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wayne_Cowan
Reviewed 4 April 2016

My wife and I stayed at the Manoa Valley Inn for 2 nights during our trip to Oahu.We liked the fact that it was away for the busy areas of Honolulu.

We opted for the Dole Junior suite. From the description, we knew the view wouldn't be as good as some of the more expensive rooms, and we were fine with it.

But what we couldn't tell from the description or the pictures was that the bed would be so uncomfortable, and that you would have to be a contortionist in order to use the bathroom.

The Dole room is on the top floor, under the roof and there is no way to stand in the tub in order to take a shower!! You have to bend in half in order to use the toilet or get into the tub, and after a bad night sleep, it would be nice to at least be able to get a good shower. Nope.

On a much more positive note, the breakfast (included) is great! Eggs, rice, pastries, bacon/sausage, fruit, homemade pancakes, etc!!

In summary, if you want to stay at the Manoa Valley Inn, don't cheap out, and ask for a room on the 2nd floor. I don't know if the bed will be more comfortable, but at least you should be able to stand in the shower!!

Room Tip: Avoid the Dole room, don't expect to use the pool
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jerome B
Reviewed 23 February 2016 via mobile

The property was quite old, being around here for about 100 years and is listed on National Register of Historic Places.

I love antique furniture and do not mind a bit of shabbiness while traveling around, so I liked the Inn quite a lot. But it may not be the right place for you if you are seeking modern comfort with just a touch of Victorian style. Despite the number of stars this property has got, this is still a family-run B&B, not a full-service hotel.

For me, I felt a bit like staying at grandma's home (happens my 94-yr granduncle used to live in the same area ages ago) and went all nostalgic. The breakfast was good as well in the same manner. Nothing flamboyant but robust. Pancakes were especially awesome!

Stayed: March 2015, travelled with friends
3  Thank m_mjx
Reviewed 12 February 2016

Our group reserved two rooms, both were smelly, musty and dusty. Our rooms were on the third floor, no elevator, and parts of the staircase did not have handrails. Bathroom facilities were primitive. Pillows smelled musty; bedding and towels had never seen hot water or bleach. Signage for the Inn was difficult to see…we located it by process of elimination. No staff could be found when we decided to check out after one night so we had to carry our own baggage down the two flights of stairs. Certainly did not meet the expectations set by their listing. If we could have found staff when we left, we would have requested a refund. Don't waste your money! Disgusting!

Stayed: January 2016
14  Thank Marcia W
Reviewed 9 June 2015

My husband and I recently got married in Honolulu. We now live on the mainland, but both our families still live on Oahu. We hotel hopped during our 2 1/2 week stay, so we experienced all different types of accommodations. We booked the Master Suite for the night before and night of our wedding. This is one of the larger rooms, but also the most expensive, as it includes a separate sitting room.

Hotels in general are quite expensive on Oahu. Manoa Valley Inn doesn't have additional parking fees, resort fees, and includes breakfast (which was quite good and free), so it's a great value once you consider all that. But be advised that this place is older. There was ongoing construction when we stayed there at the end of May, which limited parking and during the day construction workers would walk past your windows. Because of this, management gave us a discount, which was great customer service!

Also, if are allergic or have a fear of dogs, be aware that there are two dogs on the premises, one being quite large. Both are friendly though and are only on the first floor. I enjoyed our stay here, but things are dustier, have more character. I would also not advise those traveling with kids to stay here as there are a ton of knick knacks everywhere.

Room Tip: Rooms on the second floor seemed to have AC.
  • Stayed: May 2015, travelled with friends