“Disappointment!”

Aston Waikiki Sunset
Reviewed 12 April 2012

This was by far the worst hotel I've stayed at. It would be fine if we were 18 year old spring-breakers looking for a place to crash, but it is in no way a place to vacation at. The front of the hotel was under maintenance or construction so it was blocked by scaffolding (which is okay), however they also wrapped the scafolding with caution tape, which made the hotel look like a murder crime scene.

The first room we were taken to smelled like wet dog and fish. The view from one of the room overlooked an entire balcony of trash. I was very misguided by the reviews... After being moved, our second room smelled okay, but overall the quality of everything from the sofa to the bed covers were very poor. Our room was SO small the bed literally took up the entire space. You had to shimmy around the bed to get to the other side

The service was average at the front desk. However, I must say, the bell boy who helped us move the luggage was very friendly and helpful. Unfortunately by the 2nd night of our 5 night stay, we ended up asking for a refund (through Costco, where we booked it) and moved to the Hilton.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better (better view)
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
5  Thank gwenguns
DougOkada, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2012

Aloha gwenguns,

Mahalo for your candid comments regarding your recent stay with us and I'm sorry that you were disappointed with our hotel.

Yes, the contractor has erected a huge scafffolding at our front entrance with a lot of yellow tape, but as you can guess, it's there to bring attention to the scaffolding so no one walks into it.

I can't figure out what room you stayed in so if you can, please email me to let me know so I can looked into it.

Again, my apology for your disappointment and I hope the remainder of your visit to our beautiful island was an enjoyable one.

Doug Okada

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 12 April 2012

I was at the Aston Waikiki Sunset again from 3/26 to 3/31/12. I was in a Mountain View one bedroom suite on the 30th floor. Beautiful view. They keep on renovating and upgrading the building, so the entrance looked a mess but wasn't a mess just blocked off in places for guests' safety. There was slight noise during the day now and then because of the work, but I was also able to nap without being disturbed just by keeping the doors to the lanai closed, so it wasn't that noisy. The rooms were great, as always, not baroque elegance, but clean, in good repair, comfortable, homey. To me that's perfect for a holiday in Honolulu. I don't need gilt molding. Everything works. In particular, I appreciate being able to have complete control over the temperature in the room. Staff are unerringly friendly. The room safe had been left locked by the previous visitor and someone came lickity split to open it for me after I called the front desk. At this point, after many trips to Honolulu, I wouldn't even look at another hotel, unless someone came along with two free nights at the Royal Hawaiian for me -- not likely. I really enjoy staying at the Sunset.

Room Tip: I love the mountain views. You can see the ocean any time of day from virtually anywhere in Waikiki...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank namlerf
DougOkada, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2012

Aloha Namlerf,

Mahalo for your patronage to the Aston Waikiki Sunset and for your great comments on your recent stay with us. The mountain view category is my personal favorite as well, especially at night with all of the lights shining on the mountain side.

I'm also happy to hear that the exterior enhancement project wasn't an inconvenience to you. We do our very best to place our guests in rooms away from the work area and we have been getting a lot of positive feedback about it.

Reviewed 25 March 2012

Our family spent 10 days in the Waikiki Sunset. We found the one bedroom very spacious, noticeably larger than the rooms in the Banyan and with a real door to the bedroom that actually shuts and locks (unlike the Banyan). We were fortunate to be on the ocean facing side on the 37th floor. The views were spectacular.
The Sunset is across the street from the Banyan, very near the new Hyatt Place, a short walk from the zoo. We really prefer the quieter Diamond Head side of Waikiki and for us, this location is ideal.
Just two negative points worth mentioning. First, the exterior is being renovated. We weren't able to use the Lanai. Second, the beach near the Sunset is being renovated for the next month or so. But neither of these were much of a problem for us.
The internet, like at many hotels, was both expensive (part of the $10 a day resort fee) and very slow.
But the staff were all great, the facilities good, and the room one of the best we've stayed in in Waikiki. Doesn't quite measure up to the Waikiki Beach Tower, but for half the price is still a great place that we are almost certain to come back to.

Room Tip: Upper floors facing the beach cost more but worth it.
2  Thank odd3
DougOkada, General Manager at Aston Waikiki Sunset, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2012

Aloha odd3,

Mahalo for your great comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm very happy to hear that you enjoyed our accommodations, service and location. I'm happy to hear that the exterior enhancement and the beach project was not an issue for you.

I greatly appreciate your comment about our room. We're very proud of our new look and we've received many compliments about them. Yes, we don't exactly compare with our sister property, the Aston Waikiki Beach Tower, but as you mentioned, neither does our rate.

I'm happy to report that we're working on getting WiFi for our guest rooms which should greatly enhance the speed and service. As I get more information I'll be sure to share it with our readers.

Mahalo for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to your next visit. Until then, Mahalo and. . . .

Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed here because we would have kitchen facilities. The hallways reminded us of a college dorm, very drab and closed in. One bedroom was so small, the dresser was in the closet and there was no place to put your suitcase without tripping over it. There was a big stain on the carpet in one of the bedrooms that made you not want to walk on the carpet. When we talked to the front desk, they said to report it to the cleaning staff in the morning. We feel that is their job, not ours.

When they cleaned the room the next day, all they did was make the beds and refold the towels we had used. They left dirty dishes, etc.

For $277 per night, we expect better accommodations and service.

3  Thank nobe

Aloha Nobe,

Mahalo for your candid comments about your recent stay with us. I'm sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. Based on your description of your room and comments about the stain in the carpet, I know exactly which unit you stayed in. Unfortunately the previous guest spilled ink onto the carpet and we're unable to remove the stain. I apologize for the poor service you received from one of our front desk staff. You're absolutely correct that they should report it to housekeeping and not you. I will address this with our Front Office Manager.

Our daily housekeeping consists of dusting, emptying the trash, making the beds, replace towels (unless it's on the towel rack), and vaccuming the carpet. Our service does not include dishwashing until checkout. Our services are explained in our in-room compendium.

Again, my apology for not meeting your expectations and I hope we'll have another opportunity to change your impressions of the Aston Waikiki Sunset.

Reviewed 20 March 2012

We stayed here for a week and a half. At first I was nervous when we checked in. Another guest came to the front desk complaining about garbage. She said that she could see it from their window. There were also non-mentioned charges for coffee, paper, internet at $10 a day. Parking is $15 a day (standard). When we got to the room it ended up being a really nice suite. Clean and well organized. The full kitchen allowed for saving some cash at the local restaurants for breakfast/snacks. The pool is small but roomy enough for the kids. There is a small store that carries all types of items you may need or have forgotten. The location is close to Waikiki beach and the Zoo. So overall it was a decent hotel at a good price that was clean and utile.

3  Thank 4Zs

Aloha 4Zs,

Mahalo for your great comments regarding your recent stay with us. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Mahalo for choosing to stay with us and we look forward to your next visit. Until then, Mahalo and . . . .