“Very Good Tempura”

Inaba Restaurant
Ranked #592 of 2,275 Restaurants in Honolulu
Cuisines: Japanese
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My girlfriend and I both had the Jumbo Shrimp and Soba Tempura Bowl Set for lunch. The set came with two pieces of jumbo shrimp over white rice and a half order of soba. The shrimp tempura was light and crispy and very good. I had the Zaru (cold) soba and my girlfriend had the kake soba (noodles in hot broth). I think the noodles are made in-house because they’re thinner and lighter than ready-made noodles. The noodles were good, but I thought the sauce for the zaru soba could’ve used a bit more flavor. For larger appetites, I recommend upgrading to a larger size.

Reservations are highly recommended (or they might be required). We were seated at our reservation time of 11:30, but we did have to flag down a server to be seated. There was no hostess, and the staff was very busy. The restaurant is small and parking is tight. On-street parking is plentiful, so bring lots of quarters. Check their website or call the restaurant for hours. Current hours are 11-2 for lunch, 5-8 for dinner; closed for dinner on Tuesdays and all day on Wednesdays.

Date of visit: August 2021
Write a reviewReviews (29)

Reviewed 12 March 2021 via mobile

Great soba and tempura also great service, recommended for lunch or snack close to Waikiki , free parking in front

Date of visit: March 2021
2  Thank grantkidani
Reviewed 10 February 2020

My wife and I ordered a cold Tororo soba and soba with Tempura. They are very well made and subtlely seasoned. It was worth the trip from Waikiki.

Date of visit: December 2019
2  Thank HenryInMichigan
Reviewed 9 October 2019

This unassuming spot in an out of the way mini strip mall probably doesn't get many tourists. In fact, it seemed like everyone eating there was local and Japanese - a good sign. Best if you're familiar with more Japanese food than ramen and sushi, though they have that too. I had some nigiri unagi (it was a hot day) and a bowl of gomadare soba (cold). Not complicated stuff so it's all about ingredients which were the best. Word of warning though - if you want beer you need to bring your own.

Date of visit: October 2019
3  Thank Mike P
Reviewed 29 May 2019

Been here a few times for the lunch specials, during which I enjoyed the Soba Topped with Hokkaido and Ikura, and the battera set (pressed mackerel sushi) with soba on the side. Also good is the hot Soba with seared duck and mushrooms.

Date of visit: April 2019