“Great show, great food, great laughs”

Tanaka of Tokyo West
Ranked #170 of 2,420 Restaurants in Honolulu
Price range: US$ 0 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Ala Moana - Kakaako
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I hadn't been to a Tepanyaki show in years and my wife had never been to one. I read about this one at the Ala Moana shopping centre. We weren't disappointed!! Our "chef" was a real comedian and kept cracking jokes while he chopped, sliced and cracked everything else. He even did an encore of his "onion volcano". Knives, spatulas and food are constantly flying in between jokes and sips of great ice cold Kirin or cocktails. The prices were fair for what we got but the food is delicious. I can highly recommend the steak and lobster dinner course. The steak is cut into slices but cooked and seasoned to perfection, while the lobster was tender and creamy. A great way to finish off a shopping spree at Ala Moana!

2  Thank jayang22
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Tanaka of Tokyo West

Reviewed 29 October 2011

We did not make a reservation but we were seated immediately because each table has about 10 seats! They have an extensive menu and the service was very good. Each table has its own chef and the chef also acts as an entertainer. We had a couple of small children at our table and they really enjoyed the volcano show!

2  Thank G2Travel
Reviewed 3 October 2011

This is mainly a teppanyaki restaurant. They specialise in set menus. The most economical set menu that our teenagers choose was chicken terriyaki for $18.50. The set menu consisted of 2 bbq prawns, miso soup, salad, rice, bbq vegetables and ice cream. There was so much food we couldnt fit another thing in. This was one of the best chain restaurants we have been to in Honolulu. The restaurant is located on the top floor of the Ala Moana shoppng Centre so very handy after a day of shopping to eat there. Great value, great service, great food and great location.

2  Thank FiveStarTraveller4
Reviewed 18 September 2011

Went all out, and got chicken, steak and lobster!

Watching the dude cook fried rice was amazing. I could have eaten rocks and I would still come back.

Reviewed 4 March 2011

Our "chef" kept hitting the heavy metal spatula on the edge of the "grill" Was a very sharp, loud noise. I could see no reason for this continued action. I found it distracting and if not expecting it, or not looking up or perhaps just concentrating on eating, then it would give me a scare.
Other than this "clanging" of utensils there was not much entertainment from this "chef". We could get food anywhere, but came for the entertainment. I do have to say the food was good.and we were satisfied with the amount we received. The "sake" is expensive, so don't recommend ordering it.

1  Thank Sharon T

Been to Tanaka of Tokyo West? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK