“Best Steak House in Honolulu”

Hy's Steak House - Waikiki
Reserve with OpenTable
Hy's Steak House - Waikiki is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 2,604 Restaurants in Honolulu
Price range: US$ 60 - US$ 80
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Waikiki
Cross street: Uluniu Avenue
Description: Join us for select Holiday brunch buffets, celebrate your family holiday traditions at Honolulu's most iconic restaurants. Hy's Steak House, one of the best-known steakhouses in Hawaii, has been a tradition in Waikiki for 40 years and continues to be a favorite with visitors and locals alike. Tuxedoed waiters expertly prepare Caesar Salad, carve Chateaubriand for two and flambè delicious desserts (like Bananas Foster and Cherries Jubilee ) tableside. The real specialties of this steak house, of course, are the USDA Prime grade cuts of beef - New York Strip, Porterhouse T-Bone, Delmonico and Filet Mignon - which are dry-aged and trimmed on the premises. The kiawe wood sears the steaks with an intense heat, while complementing the flavor of the fine beef perfectly. Enjoy a cognac or glass of Port from Hy's full bar in the intimacy of the library lounge, while enjoying the acoustic musical offerings of Audy Kimura, Vernon Sakata or Chris Hopper. Join us for Easter & Mother's Day Brunch.
Reviewed 1 January 2018 via mobile

Classic steak house of old with great ambience. Tuxedo dressed waiters who are courteous and attentive. Food and wine was outstanding. Interesting that they have the best ahi sashimi too. So, we had it for appetizers.

Next, Caesar salad made at table. Followed by delicious beef Wellingtons cooked perfectly. I always wondered how they cook the meat to whatever doneness you desire and the crust comes out perfectly. We also had a fillet and prime rib , delicious. They have excellent house wines Ehunani Merlot, and a Cabernet Sauvignon . We had a bottle of both as well as some Duckhorn Merlot for comparison. Unusually good for a house wine but not for Hy’s.

For dessert, cherries jubilee. What a show and tasty dessert. We topped it off with coffee and expresso. In the background, beautiful music by Audy Kimura. What a wonderful evening.

Reviewed 27 December 2017

Where do I start? Lets go with making the initial reservation...I called earlier in the day and I was told that nothing was available until after 9:30pm. At 5pm, I was able to make a reservation for 7:30pm on OpenTable, funny how that works.

Upon arrival we were seated immediately, it was my wifes birthday and we wanted to have a nice dinner out. They knew of this, as I noted it on the OpenTable reservation. A different waiter kept coming by every minute asking us if we were ready to order, this got old really quick as we were trying to have a conversation and look at the menus at the same time. When we were ready to order, we both decided on the Bone in New York at 65 a piece. The guy took the order and brought some more bread by.

Here is where the problems really started: Both steaks came out rare, we ordered medium (no I don't want it cooked up as it has already been resting, and you are a steakhouse, get it right, I'm hungry), they were flavorless - did you not even salt em?, and the sides were bland. Some parts of the steak were so rare, they were fleshy, and I'm pretty sure still moo-ing. I alerted the staff who apologized and brought out some dipping sauces (really?), anyone who knows anything about steak knows you don't need dipping sauces for steak as that is essentially a slap in the face to the chef (why does Hy's Waikiki have offer so many dipping sauces?). This did not remedy the situation, and we were starving so we weren't about to wait for new entrees.

After the meal debacle, we were ready to leave, but they forced the desert on us to save face after I said I just wanted the tab. In the end, they comped one steak (should have been both). After the initial complaint was made, it felt like all the staff was chatting about us as if we had committed some grave sin, no we didn't, your food was not prepared to our request and was totally tasteless. This place is overpriced, over-hyped, and deserves 0 stars. Thanks for ruining what was supposed to be a special night.

1  Thank J S
Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

All the first impressions are great. The welcoming staff are very friendly. The restaurant is beautiful. The menu is varied but not overwhelming.

The let down was the taste and cookery of the main dishes. It was beautifully presented, however the chicken was dry and not very well seasoned. Unfortunately the steak meat although cooked well did not taste top quality.

There were a few positives. The steak sauces were very tasty as were the broths and soups. Also, the desserts were very tasty and well balanced. If flambé is your thing, they have a wide selection of flambé desserts.

To sum it up, the venue is beautiful, the food is well presented, but it didn’t taste as good as expected.

2  Thank brendamcardona
Reviewed 19 December 2017

I looked absolutely stunning and the hostess went out of her way to try to degrade my fashion and blamed everything on the dress code without stating the obvious. The underlying message is that one thing that is taboo. The one that we don't talk about because it limits privileges to some. I have never been in a situation where they try to dress you even worse than what you are looking like and call it complimentary. The baboonery and buffoonery was something that I couldn't take...after looking like a new idiot, especially after looking at the customers that were already in the place. And I promise you, I was dressed more appropriately than 99% of the patrons. Most where where Hawaiian shirts. I don't have anything against Hawaiin shirts, I have a few myself...but according to the staff if I would have worn one I wouldn't be allowed to eat in the establishment either. So with that being said...I will gladly say this. I will NEVER go back because they try to take something from me that made me feel inhumane. This was deeper than a meal, much more deeper than a dress code. This is MORE ABOUT SELF RESPECT AND SELF AWARENESS! I wish this restaurant the best, but without my $1k tabs lol! #BestOFLUCKHy'sRestaurant. I wish I could have commented more about the food more than the initial impressions and service. The latter will cause me to chose a different restaurant 10 times out of 10.

2  Thank bigpooch
Reviewed 16 December 2017

This place should not be missed by adults seeking a fine dining experience while visiting Oahu. Old school sophisticated service by waiters in tuxedos and perfectly prepared cuisine. They have a wonderful happy hour menu from 5 - 6:30 pm. So good that we went twice during our vacation.

Bob P, Guest Relations Manager at Hy's Steak House - Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2017

Dear Holababa,

Thank you for the nice review, it is much appreciated...so nice to hear when guests enjoy their experience with us. We look forward to serving you again!

Bob P