“Looks better than it tastes ”

Hy's Steak House - Waikiki
Reserve with OpenTable
Hy's Steak House - Waikiki is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #38 of 2,632 Restaurants in Honolulu
Price range: US$ 60 - US$ 80
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighbourhood: Waikiki
Cross street: Uluniu Avenue
Description: Join us for select Holiday brunch buffets, celebrate your family holiday traditions at Honolulu's most iconic restaurants. Hy's Steak House, one of the best-known steakhouses in Hawaii, has been a tradition in Waikiki for 40 years and continues to be a favorite with visitors and locals alike. Tuxedoed waiters expertly prepare Caesar Salad, carve Chateaubriand for two and flambè delicious desserts (like Bananas Foster and Cherries Jubilee ) tableside. The real specialties of this steak house, of course, are the USDA Prime grade cuts of beef - New York Strip, Porterhouse T-Bone, Delmonico and Filet Mignon - which are dry-aged and trimmed on the premises. The kiawe wood sears the steaks with an intense heat, while complementing the flavor of the fine beef perfectly. Enjoy a cognac or glass of Port from Hy's full bar in the intimacy of the library lounge, while enjoying the acoustic musical offerings of Audy Kimura, Vernon Sakata or Chris Hopper. Join us for Easter & Mother's Day Brunch.
Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

All the first impressions are great. The welcoming staff are very friendly. The restaurant is beautiful. The menu is varied but not overwhelming.

The let down was the taste and cookery of the main dishes. It was beautifully presented, however the chicken was dry and not very well seasoned. Unfortunately the steak meat although cooked well did not taste top quality.

There were a few positives. The steak sauces were very tasty as were the broths and soups. Also, the desserts were very tasty and well balanced. If flambé is your thing, they have a wide selection of flambé desserts.

To sum it up, the venue is beautiful, the food is well presented, but it didn’t taste as good as expected.

2  Thank brendamcardona

Reviewed 19 December 2017

I looked absolutely stunning and the hostess went out of her way to try to degrade my fashion and blamed everything on the dress code without stating the obvious. The underlying message is that one thing that is taboo. The one that we don't talk about because it limits privileges to some. I have never been in a situation where they try to dress you even worse than what you are looking like and call it complimentary. The baboonery and buffoonery was something that I couldn't take...after looking like a new idiot, especially after looking at the customers that were already in the place. And I promise you, I was dressed more appropriately than 99% of the patrons. Most where where Hawaiian shirts. I don't have anything against Hawaiin shirts, I have a few myself...but according to the staff if I would have worn one I wouldn't be allowed to eat in the establishment either. So with that being said...I will gladly say this. I will NEVER go back because they try to take something from me that made me feel inhumane. This was deeper than a meal, much more deeper than a dress code. This is MORE ABOUT SELF RESPECT AND SELF AWARENESS! I wish this restaurant the best, but without my $1k tabs lol! #BestOFLUCKHy'sRestaurant. I wish I could have commented more about the food more than the initial impressions and service. The latter will cause me to chose a different restaurant 10 times out of 10.

2  Thank bigpooch
Reviewed 16 December 2017

This place should not be missed by adults seeking a fine dining experience while visiting Oahu. Old school sophisticated service by waiters in tuxedos and perfectly prepared cuisine. They have a wonderful happy hour menu from 5 - 6:30 pm. So good that we went twice during our vacation.

Date of visit: December 2017
Bob P, Guest Relations Manager at Hy's Steak House - Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 19 December 2017

Dear Holababa,

Thank you for the nice review, it is much appreciated...so nice to hear when guests enjoy their experience with us. We look forward to serving you again!

Bob P

Reviewed 12 December 2017

A lot of top-name restaurants have migrated to Waikiki since my earlier review of Hy's (three years ago to the day), but Hy's remains our go-to fine dining choice in the area. Tonight, we enjoyed great service as usual. The upscale dress code is much appreciated. The ahi sashimi starter is superb; the garlic steak remains full of flavour and so tender; and the special cut (Wagyu-style beef, raised in Texas) was outstanding (though cooked slightly beyond the medium-rare that was ordered). Bananas foster remains a highlight dessert. We were sorry to see that garlic fried rice is no longer on the menu, and can only hope that it makes a speedy return, as it is so delicious and an homage to the local culture.

Dear Jim P,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your experience with us, it is much appreciated!
We all hope to serve you again soon.

Bob P, Guest Relations

Reviewed 6 December 2017

We were not able to get in on our last trip but made reservations well in advance this time and we were not disappointed. Everything was marvelous! Appetizers through desert was better than expected. Portions were more than adequate. Service was top notch! Hy's is a must on every trip to Honolulu.