“Overrated five star hotel”

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa
Ranked #21 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Honolulu, Hawaii
“Overrated five star hotel”
Reviewed 6 May 2012

I stayed there because my travel agency recommended this hotel. It turned out to be a not so good experience.
the bad things are,
the place is very crowded. it's in a shopping mall shared with other hotels. The elevator is five minutes walk away from the front entrance and the reception desk. It's extremely inconvenience if you had a lot of luggage or you just going out and in very often. Although they do offer bellman to carry your luggage. But they are very slow. At least mine arrived a half hour after I checked in which I almost thought they lost my luggage.
The room is really small. I had trouble to put my surf board. And the coffee maker was really bad. It didn't make hot water.
The valets are slow. but I don't blame them. There are always tons of cars going in and out. but there is one thing I noticed that they changed my radio station which is not a big deal but it just feels a little unprofessional.
The good thing about this place is the location. It's right across from the beach and the shopping area.
Overall, it's an ok hotel. But certainly doesn't worth $400 a night.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lu B
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for the feedback. We have forwarded your comments to management for review especially regarding slow service and the changing of the radio station. We apologize for the inconveniences you felt while visiting us.

Mahalo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,093)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 4 May 2012

It states resort, but there was nothing resort-like about it with the exception of the fee. It aggravated me to no end that we were placed by the elevator bank and it was noisy enough. We heard the whooshing as it went up and down. Oddly enough it took forever to get one to arrive. The rooms are a bit weathered and we had a small one. A bit surprised for the money.

I enjoyed the location, as it was directly across from the beach. That was the only plus that I had for this hotel. Staff was friendly, but somewhat disconnected. The line at the registration desk was always full and there were never enough people at the desk.

• Stayed April 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We appreciate your candor and we do regret that your stay was not more peaceful. We recognize that most flights to the island arrive at similar times of day and so we have been adding more staff to the front desk team to shorten any delays. While we definitely experience high traffic times, the front desk also has quiet moments and we are sorry you were unable to stop by at one of these times to discuss your room situation or other issues with the management. We will share your comments with the team.

Golden Sands, Bulgaria
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Very good hotel but a little tired. We are here for three days now and four days after our cruise. The rooms were pretty good and the staff were great. Francis the manager went the extra yard to change our room when we were discomforted by the noise of the elevator. Talk about grace under pressure -he had it in spades! Most impressive. But not even he can fix the elevators. A couple of itimes we ended up using the stairs when our patience wore out. Once there was a coniderable queue to catch a lift! It took three elevators to clear the backlog. I hope someone is suing the manufacturers!
But let's not quibble it is a very decent hotel right on the beach and the staff are terrific. We leave on saturday and return on the 12th and if they read this who knows?an upgrade perhaps? Don't like our chances. But I think we have been pretty fair.

Room Tip: Not near the elevators!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Aloha,

Thank you for the post and the compliments for staff, in particular Francis. We have shared your comments. We do apologize for the wait you experienced with the elevators. We are currently working on a modernizing them. We hope that you enjoy the rest of your travels and that your return to us is more favorable regarding the elevators.

New Jersey
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This hotel is located right across the street from the beach and also has a lot of shopping and restaurants near by, so you can basically walk anywhere you'd like. The hotel itself is very nice and clean. Wasn't impressed with Honolulu itself, but if I ever did go back I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Must get an ocean view.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Aloha,

Thank you for the recommendation. We do hope that you return in the future.

Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This hotel was nothing of what I expected. I did not have a bad experience but it was not for me. I like my vacations relaxing and this was more overwhelming. On a positive note the staff was great and very friendly. The hotel is directly across from the beach and within walking distance of many places. The rooms were nice, beds were comfortable had nice views. Onto the negative. The first three floors were all stores which literally felt like you were in a mall. The lobby was on the second floor and there was no elevator to the second floor just escalators. (Not fun on escalators with luggage) The elevators took at least 10 minutes to get and half of the time they were packed with people. This hotel definitely caters to the Japanese. I was on the 16th floor and the first night could hear loud music most of the night. The bathrooms were out dated and the tub in my room kept sounding like I was going to fall through it the water pressure is poor. The internet could be a bit faster I wasn’t able to download any files that I needed. The pool is small but there are plenty of chairs around it. If you like the city feel and a busy hotel then this is a place for you but I like the slower pace on vacation.

Room Tip: Ocean Views and the higher the better
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Aloha,

Thank you for the feedback. We regret that you felt frustrated with the size and layout of the hotel. Staff does try to take good care of guests and guides them whenever needed. We wish that maneuvering through the hotel and the city had been easier for you.