“overall positive stay but many problems”

Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa
Ranked #22 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
GreenLeadersBronze level
scottsdale
“overall positive stay but many problems”
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Stayed here from April 25th to the 29th. Have stayed at the hotel many times but staff at check in did little to show any appreciation for my repeated business to the hotel. Staff at the pool and pool restaurant extremely great and excellent hospitality. Fitness center is equipment is way out of date and old and rusty and needs to be replaced with modern treadmills and elipticals. Room air conditioning was poor and room was quite warm during the stay as was the fitness center. I am probably going to rethink my future plans here because I can not bear sleep in a warm hotel room with poor air conditioning as well as endure a fitness center with old equipment.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Zackm199
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 30 April 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for providing us with your feedback from your recent stay. We have forwarded your comments to our front desk supervisor and to our manager in charge of the spa and fitness center for their review regarding check in as well as the fitness equipment. We do regret that you did not have a more comfortable visit. We hope you will reconsider and visit us again in the future.

Mahalo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,112)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2012

this is a good hotel which is well located on the main strip, but it needs some work and feels a little tired. the staff are friendly and there is a lot to do in the surrounding area.

Room Tip: avoid the rooms near the elevators.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank DanielEngles
Aloha,

Thank you for the review. The hotel was built in 1976 and has undergone a recent third floor refurbishment which included the addition of two new restaurants and a poolside bar as well as a new Regency Club Lounge and jacuzzi. We hope to do more in the future and we do hope that you were able to spend some time in these new outlets. We hope you will visit again in the future.

Portland, OR
Reviewed 28 April 2012

We stayed 3 nights in a deluxe ocean front room on the 30th floor. The view was fantastic. The room was spacious and quiet, though the bathroom (ADA) was a bit dated. The Regnency Club served great food and the staff, especially Mark, was superb. I enjoyed my stay at the Hyatt Place down the block several months ago, but I would stay here for the view and the Regency Club.

PROS:

--central Waikiki location, across the street from the beach.

--as close to a "resort" atmosphere as one can get in Waikiki, more than any other hotels I've stayed in for this area.

--Regency Club access: great breakfast, early evening canapes, and dessert. This is very high quaily food with excellent presentation. While the spread can't match Asian hotels (JW Marriott HK), it is probably the best you can get for a domestic lounge.

--nice gym with plenty of cardio and weight machines

--small safe and fridge in room.

--wireless only HSIA (ok speed); free as part of resort fee

--Gold passport points post 24 hrs after checkout--that's fast!

--the elevator "problem" must be fixed--never had to wait more than a few minutes for one.

CONS:

--crowded; seems to be the hotel of choice for Japanese tour groups. Usual occupancy rate is in 90's (told by staff)

--very small check-in area on 2nd floor for a 1000+ room hotel (2 towers). There is always a wait.

--dated bathroom (ADA): there was no mention on my reservation about getting an ADA room. The tub was very slow-draining; the showerhead did not tilt. I did enjoy the extra width.

--resort fee: it should be waived for Diamond members, not simply reduced by 50%. The Marriott down the street does not charge a resort fee. Neither does the Hilton Waikiki.

--very warm gym; there were additional fans but it was still too warm.

Room Tip: "deluxe" ocean front means directly facing (head on) the ocean.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PDXBigGuy
Aloha,

Thank you for the feedback and for your loyalty to Hyatt.

We are glad that you enjoyed the new Regency Club and the services at the Lounge. We will be certain to forward your review to our management team. We also appreciate your comments about the Resort Fees these will also be shared. We have found that the fees actually reduce many costs previously incurred by guests when we were also a non-resort fee property. We certainly understand some of the frustration for a Diamond Member which is why we also provide incredible savings opportunities in addition to the 1/2 off discount.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2012

It was our first time in Hawaii and it took me a while to choose which hotel to stay in. The hotel is conveniently located near the shopping centres as well as the restaurants. If you can afford it choose an ocean view room. The view that you wake up to as well as the sunset view is all worth it. The ocean view rooms are also far from the elevators which can be quite noisy. Choose a high floor as there is less noise up. We stayed on the 25th floor.

When you book this hotel, make sure to ask if you need to pay a resort fee, which is more than $18 per person per day of your stay. This is quite a big amount if you are not prepared for it. We were lucky because our travel agent was able to get a deal where the resort fee was waived. Wireless internet is almost $10 a day so might as well go the lobby or other parts of the hotel that will be free.

Room Tip: Higher floors are more quiet.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Gemma V
Aloha,

Thank you for the review.

We just want to clarify, the wireless internet is included in the resort fee as well as two free bottles of water each day, all cultural activities and more. We are glad that you were able to customize your stay through your agent but we do want to make certain that when people read the review they understand that the wireless feature is a part of the resort fees, it is not additional.

We hope you will stay with us again in the future.

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Sweeping ocean views assured if you can get them. The Hyatt Regency Waikiki has more opportunities to get a great view as you are not up against another hotel which is the usual case for hotels in Waikiki. I purchased a good package for a deluxe ocean view so if you can get a reasonable rate (not the rack rate) than it is a good deal as the views are assured versus the partial ocean/ocean view in other hotels that are not always a guarantee. Check out the pictures from others posted, they are pretty accurate. Try to get above the 15th floor especially if you are in the EWA Tower (the tower next to Sheraton Princess) as you may get a blocked view from the older tower wing of the Moana Surfrider across the street. Also, rooms above 15th floor would assure no palm trees would block your view and will get you away from the street noise; the main strip is outside the door and the avenue can be at times like Las Vegas Boulevard. If at all possible, request the Diamond Tower as there are no hotels/buildings blocking that tower's the ocean view.

The pool is postage stamp size but what can you expect with a roof top pool? I would recommend just going to the beach across the street and save the pool for lounging in the sun. The pool bar/cafe has some tasty, though limited choices, that you can charge to your room. The Hyatt also has a snack stand on Waikiki beach right next to the police station that you can also charge to your room. The Hyatt Regency also provides beach towels and beach chairs at no additional charge. : )

I wish I could give 3.5-4 stars as I have only one comment that I feel could improve on the experience. The Hyatt Regency could benefit from added security personnel patrolling the grounds in my opinion. Though I did not have any problems nor felt my safety was at risk (I live in a major city so I am used to urban living), I did not see any security staff present near the elevators to keep an eye on who was accessing the towers. I see security cameras in the elevators so I get a feeling these are monitored but it would be nice to see security walking around more often. I think I saw one security personnel in my 5 nights/6 days there. I guess because there is the Waikiki Police station across the street they don't have security visible but that police station is not open 24 hours that I recall. I add this comment because of the busy, crowded nature of the avenue (my comment on Las Vegas-boulevard feeling) and that I did see street folks and other questionable characters on the avenue so just be aware of your surroundings like in any city and you should be just fine.

In summary, if you can get a package deal that includes an ocean view with breakfast, you will enjoy the view and experience. Breakfast without the coupon, is really expensive (to be expected) as I recall is it was almost $30 per person.

Enjoy Waikiki and try to get out to tour the island if possible. North Shore and points in between will remind you that you are in Hawaii.

Room Tip: Hyatt Regency rooms tend to be larger than others in Waikiki. Choose a an ocean view above the15th...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank SFSeeingTheWorld
lvans, Public Relations Manager at Hyatt Regency Waikiki Resort & Spa, responded to this review, 27 April 2012
Aloha,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with this feedback and to inform others. We will definitely share your comments regarding security. You are correct, the hotel is very closely monitored by both cameras and walking patrols but we will forward your comments to our security director for further consideration.

We hope you will visit us again in the future. We have just changed the menu at SWIM and have a feeling that you will enjoy the options.