“Good for a one night stopover”
Review of Stay Hotel Waikiki

Ranked #70 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 19 August 2017 via mobile

We were staying back in Waikiki after being elsewhere on the island for one night before flying home early the next morning. The recent reviews were really worrying, however for general Waikiki prices it was very central, clean and reasonably quiet (5th floor) and exactly what we needed just for the night at an ok price. The rooms look NOTHING like the pictures on the website and were of motel not hotel standard but as I said it was clean and had what we needed. Wifi worked well, they had beach towels you could have for the day and other beach mats etc (first in first served). I wouldnt stay here for my whole holiday, unless you only intend to be in the room to sleep, but wouldn't hesitate in staying again for a short time.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Carolyn P, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2017

Aloha Claire H,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I am glad that your recent visit exceeded your expectations and that you were able to find value in your accommodations. We made every effort not to professionally stage our newly refurbished rooms because we wanted to be mindful of transparency. Many of our valued guests are actually pleasantly surprised by the look and comfort of our rooms when they see and experience them in person. I hope that we have the pleasure of hosting you again for a short stay in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2017

Don't expect any frills with Stay Hotel. You get a room, shower, bed and a shower. The location is very good to walk to the beach. It was reasonably clean, but needs repair (leaky faucets and showers). The staff was very friendly and helpful. It'll do if you can't afford better.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for...
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Aloha Gary H,

Thank you for taking the time to share your point-of-view about your recent stay. Our diligent maintenance team is currently fixing any minor leaks in our units' bathrooms. Thank you for pardoning our progress as we work to improve our property. I am happy to hear that you found value in our central location and our friendly team. I will be sure to share your sentiments with them. Happy and safe travels to you and yours!

Reviewed 10 August 2017

I would first start off by saying the location is very convenient at stay Waikiki. The equipment they offer the guests are to use at the beach are faulty. The chairs are broken down so bad that I cut myself very bad on my leg. It caused me such a great deal of pain when I landed I went to my doctor to check it out. The staff did nothing to accommodate my pain nor did it seem like they care! There are no disclosures stating to use the equipment at your own risk, they encourage you to use it! The manager has yet to reach out to discuss the incident as well! There are also roaches in the rooms making you have to shake out your clothing daily so you don't take the with you. The rooms also don't have the greatest air conditioners, you need a shower and a 15 minute time out to cool off. They don't een have headboards in their rooms. The hotel needs a serious face lift. They are falsely advertising free breakfast with your stay, they only offer free coffee! I had a great time in Hawaii. However, I think I could have choose a better hotel. Like the Hyatt or the Outrigger, these are Phenomenal choices! The Hyatt is rated the best hotel in Fortune Magazine and it's also located close to the beach

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Carolyn P, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2017

Aloha Ms. Burl,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to me directly via e-mail regarding your recent stay. I see that you also made good on your promise to post a review on Trip Advisor, which I am happy to respond to here.

As I mentioned in my e-mail to you, I took yesterday to thoroughly research your claims with my team with whom you frequently interacted in a positive manner throughout your stay. You'll be happy to hear that no roaches or evidence of such were found in your room. The A/C unit, while blowing cold air, will be replaced with a more powerful model to keep up with the demanding heat of our island summer this year. Thank you for bringing back the broken chairs for us to quickly dispose of, and thank you for allowing us to take care of your immediate First Aid needs for the injury that you presented to the Front Desk. I'd like to clarify that we have not offered breakfast for over a year, and we do not advertise this option on our travel partner sites or on our website.

Realizing that sentiments can and do sometimes change after returning home from an idyllic location, in good faith, as you know, I was happy to refund your amenity fees.

I thank you again for your valuable feedback. It is unfortunate that we so thoroughly confused what you expressed to us as an amazing experience with what you're now saying is a regretful decision. The Outrigger Waikiki and Hyatt Regency are indeed wonderful properties and good neighbors of ours, however, unlike our modestly-sized property, they are full-service resorts that offer rates customary with four and five star hotels. I hope that you have the opportunity to experience their services in the future.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

Overall a nice hotel and great location. Both the rooms we stayed in were very clean and friendly staff.
Great if your on a budget and not planning on staying in the room often.
Downsides are both rooms we stayed in were very small, tv is located on the side wall from where the bed is and not at the end so its a bit awkward trying to watch tv comfortably, only lighting in the rooms was a bedside lamp, lack of powerpoints, and one of the rooms we stayed in the only window was above the bed which went out onto the hallway/walkway so was noisy when people walked past and couldnt have the window open without anyone seeing in. Aircon was a little noisy in both rooms but worked well to cool the room down. Wifi was not free, when we arrived and checked in we were told its an extra $10 a day to access wifi, beach towels and equipment.
A suggestion would be to update the photos on your webpage and booking.com as what we saw was not anywhere near what we got.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple
Carolyn P, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2017

Aloha Tropochick,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay. While I am glad to know that you enjoyed the warm hospitality of our team and that you found your room to be a clean, comfortable respite from your time exploring our beautiful island, I do want to clarify that the room photos we have both on our own website as well as on B.com and our other on-line travel partners are representative of the rooms we have actually have. While other properties may stage their rooms for professional photo sessions, we refrained from doing so in order to convey an accurate and transparent picture of what guests can expect to see when they stay at our hotel. If you reach out to our Front Desk, our Front Desk Supervisor, or me, we'll be happy to show you exactly where you can see these pictures on-line. I thank you for the feedback that you shared regarding the functional improvements to our room and will take your suggestions to our corporate management team for consideration. Happy and safe travels to you and yours!

Reviewed 2 August 2017 via mobile

I don't know where to start. As soon as we arrived there were people arguing with the receptionists asking for their money back and refusing to stay a day longer, we chose to ignore it and thought the guests were being dramatic but we were wrong. We had initially had booked to stay in this "hotel" for 1 week. I would say it's closer to a motel but we will let that slide as well. our first night at the hotel we were woken up in the middle of the night to our toilet exploding. Just what you need on a vacation right?The water from the toilet had flooded our entire room and had reached the beds we were sleeping on and destroyed all of our luggages. This occurred at roughly around 3 a.m. So I went downstairs to reception and told them about the situation. They were reluctant to come up and resolve the issue and told us they'll just give us a room upgrade. They did not care that our luggages were drenched in dirty sewerage water and were not fussed about the situation in the slightest bit. We were too exhausted to argue at this point therefore we accepted to move rooms and deal with the situation in the morning. This so called upgrade was from a room with a king bed and sofa (for 3 people) to a room with 2 single beds that were no bigger than the massage beds you see at a massage parlour. We had no choice but to have 2 people "sleep" or should I say lay there awkwardly on one single and The other sleep alone. Come morning time (7-8am) we headed down to reception to them trying to gain some sort of money from us as they blamed us for the toilet explosion and used the excuse of there being "too much sand in the toilet" and therefore it "being clogged" it was our first night there and we had only used to the toilet once, and hadn't even gone to the beach that day in order for sand to get into the toilet. After telling them this, they refused to listen and told us to leave the premises asap or the police would be contacted. We were all clearly very shocked and surprised so we asked them to give us our money back so we could leave. They refused to do this as well and just kept insisting that we leave or else they will call the police for harassment (because we wanted our money back) and trespassing (because we no longer wanted to stay in their "hotel"). MIKE was the name of the man at reception whom made our experience a living hell. He was the one who threatened us by attempting to call the police. He also refused to let us contact his manager as he was scared he would "lose his job" for contacting her (Erika) on July 4th as she was busy celebrating, which made it clear that the employees and management of stay hotel obviously value their own fun and leisure rather than helping and caring for the people staying at their hotel. Mike was sitting back in his chair relaxed the entire time whilst us (3 ladies) were on the verge of breaking down. He did not offer to help nor did he try to work out a solution. All he did was tell us to leave or the police will be on their way to escort us out. needless to say, we had no place to stay for an entire week because of STAY HOTEL WAIKIKI and their irresponsibility, drainage issues, lack of care and empathy and unprofessionalism & prioritising a day off rather than providing shelter for people who have paid for it.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with friends
3  Thank AshyBiber
Carolyn P, General Manager at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2017

Aloha AshyBiber,

Thank you for taking the time to relay your own perspective on the events that occurred during the one night you stayed at our hotel. I am grateful that you've given me the opportunity to relay what really happened.

To begin, while an overflowing toilet is never a welcome occurrence especially during the early morning hours, we were able to get an immediate professional assessment from our maintenance manager that the toilet in your unit overflowed as a result of two specific obstructions: a half roll of freshly wadded toilet paper and what equated to be a pound of beach sand. Once our maintenance manager was able to clear these obstructions from the line in a timely fashion, the toilet functioned perfectly. It was very fortunate that on the eve of July 4th, we were able to immediately provide you and your friends with an available room during a very busy period in Waikiki. We assisted you with your luggage and we made sure that your new room would suit you and your companions for the few hours more of sleep you required to decide whether or not to continue your stay. You relayed to us that it did.

Because you expressed your vehement disappointment on the following day, Management authorized the Front Desk to release the early check-out penalty so that you could make plans for accommodations elsewhere. Imagine our surprise when you and your friends showed up at 8 p.m. to aggressively demand a free room for your original reservation period, which baffled my Front Desk since you made it crystal clear that you would never stay at our property again.

When you finally relinquished that you needed to stay at our hotel because other hotels in your price range were sold out, we gladly offered you a room at a reasonable rate, but you refused to take it unless it was free. After some time and distance from this event, I am sure you realize that aggressively demanding for free accommodations at our hotel or any hotel was never going to materialize in the way you had expected.

I am proud of the members of my team, both on and off property, who had to directly deal with your very public display of belligerence, which made them feel both castigated and frankly unsafe in their own work environment. I am glad that you did not escalate the matter even further where law enforcement would have to be involved. Under the circumstances, they handled this situation with graceful professionalism.

Thank you again for taking your valuable time to showcase your side of the story and allowing us the opportunity here on TripAdvisor to clarify the matters with honesty and integrity.