This place is a great value in often-overpriced Waikiki. The pros outweigh the few cons about this property and I will likely return again.
Value - My partner and I like to travel on a budget but we don't want to stay in a dump! After a prior poor experience staying at an older resort-style hotel during our last trip to Honolulu, we were looking for a more positive experience and better value for our money this time around. This place fit the bill - affordable, fresh, clean, and comfortable.
Concept - I am a little tired of resorts in Honolulu. They're nice if well executed but often fall short. What I love about Stay Waikiki is that it doesn't try to be a full-featured resort, and this is definitely refreshing.
The location is great - just a block to the beach!
Brand-new, ice-cold A/C units.
New, comfortable furniture - It's obviously from Ikea but I love that.
Friendly, accomodating staff.
$10/day "resort" fee - Many reviewers have mentioned this as a negative aspect of their stay here but I found it to be a good value. The fee covers a lot: it includes a newspaper each day, unlimited use of the hotel's wifi connection and business center, AND as many rental movies as you want (though you may find that newly-released films may already be checked out!). I would suggest, however, that the fee be included in the cost of the room and not as an additional charge tacked on at check-in.
There are a few cons that I have to mention:
Lack of mini-fridge units - In order to get a mini-fridge in your room, you must request one, and there are a limited number of units. I requested a fridge for several days and did not receive one. The hotel should invest in installing mini-fridges in each room.
Noise - This hotel's walls and windows are thin. If you are assigned a room on a lower floor and/or facing Koa Avenue, you will hear nighttime revelers, tour buses, early morning garbage trucks, and more. If you are a light sleeper, try to request a room on a higher floor towards the back of the hotel and plan to bring earphones.This problem could be mitigated somewhat if the hotel installed modern, double-pane windows in the rooms.
Continental Breakfast - The continental breakfast includes just a few types of pastry, wheat toast, fruit punch, and coffee (with powdered creamer). I would have loved to see fresh fruit, a variety of types of juice (rather than just fruit punch), and half and half for the coffee included, especially since we couldn't get a fridge to keep these things in our room ourselves.
My partner and I come to Honolulu once per year and I hope to stay at this property again, especially if the cons I mentioned are sorted out.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Waikiki Beach, Stay Hotel Waikiki is within a block of the ocean and the International Market Place. Also nearby are shopping on Kalakaua Avenue, the Honolulu Zoo and Diamond Head. We offer a 24-hour business center with free use of our business center computers. In addition, Stay Hotel Waikiki provides complimentary wireless Internet access. Some rooms include balconies with views. All guestrooms feature flat-panel televisions with cable channels. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, HostelWorld, Agoda and Expedia so you can book your Stay Hotel Waikiki reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stay Waikiki Hotel Honolulu
- Stay Hotel Waikiki Honolulu, Hawaii