“Good value for Waikiki”

Ranked #71 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Seattle, WA
“Good value for Waikiki”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

This place is a great value in often-overpriced Waikiki. The pros outweigh the few cons about this property and I will likely return again.
Pros:
Value - My partner and I like to travel on a budget but we don't want to stay in a dump! After a prior poor experience staying at an older resort-style hotel during our last trip to Honolulu, we were looking for a more positive experience and better value for our money this time around. This place fit the bill - affordable, fresh, clean, and comfortable.
Concept - I am a little tired of resorts in Honolulu. They're nice if well executed but often fall short. What I love about Stay Waikiki is that it doesn't try to be a full-featured resort, and this is definitely refreshing.
The location is great - just a block to the beach!
Brand-new, ice-cold A/C units.
New, comfortable furniture - It's obviously from Ikea but I love that.
Friendly, accomodating staff.
$10/day "resort" fee - Many reviewers have mentioned this as a negative aspect of their stay here but I found it to be a good value. The fee covers a lot: it includes a newspaper each day, unlimited use of the hotel's wifi connection and business center, AND as many rental movies as you want (though you may find that newly-released films may already be checked out!). I would suggest, however, that the fee be included in the cost of the room and not as an additional charge tacked on at check-in.

There are a few cons that I have to mention:
Lack of mini-fridge units - In order to get a mini-fridge in your room, you must request one, and there are a limited number of units. I requested a fridge for several days and did not receive one. The hotel should invest in installing mini-fridges in each room.
Noise - This hotel's walls and windows are thin. If you are assigned a room on a lower floor and/or facing Koa Avenue, you will hear nighttime revelers, tour buses, early morning garbage trucks, and more. If you are a light sleeper, try to request a room on a higher floor towards the back of the hotel and plan to bring earphones.This problem could be mitigated somewhat if the hotel installed modern, double-pane windows in the rooms.
Continental Breakfast - The continental breakfast includes just a few types of pastry, wheat toast, fruit punch, and coffee (with powdered creamer). I would have loved to see fresh fruit, a variety of types of juice (rather than just fruit punch), and half and half for the coffee included, especially since we couldn't get a fridge to keep these things in our room ourselves.

My partner and I come to Honolulu once per year and I hope to stay at this property again, especially if the cons I mentioned are sorted out.

Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Laura W
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
Montreal
Reviewed 16 April 2012

Overall this was a quality hotel. I visited Oahu with my wife and we had a great time. The room was tidy and comfortable. We had our own balcony and the hotel was located near Waikiki beach. We only had bunk beds to sleep in, but we also looked for the least expensive option during our stay. We had our own bathroom, the staff was friendly and I would absolutely suggest this place to anyone looking for a great vacation on a smaller budget.

Room Tip: No pool and no restaurant, but the beach is a few minutes away and there are places to eat everywher...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
blanting2, Owner at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Aloha, Seth. I am so glad that you had a great visit to Oahu. We're so glad that you chose to share it with us.

We tend to get a lot of comments about our bunk rooms (we only have nine). We offer these rooms as an inexensive alternative to typically-expensive Waikiki guestroom pricing. They are our cheapest accomodation alternative, but we have many larger guestrooms from which to choose.

Let me know the next time you come to Waikiki and I'll get you upgraded to a larger room for the same price. We appreciate the fact that you took the time to write us a nice review. It's the least I can do in return.
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Don't expect too much from this hotel, its a cheaply renovated concrete block apartment. basic double bed, no fridge. Room access via outside balcony.
Staff are very nice

• Stayed April 2012
blanting2, Owner at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
It is amazing how many guests comment on the need for refrigerators. We are in the process of adding mini-fridges to all of the rooms at Stay Waikiki that are large enough to accommodate them.

If you come back to Stay Waikiki and your room does NOT have a refrigerator, just ask our front desk and we will bring one up for you at no exrtra charge.
West Chester, PA
Reviewed 15 April 2012

The location is good, but the room is small. The bathroom is very cramped with little space to spread out. The balcony is nice, but some may not like the bunk bed arrangement. WiFi is fast. One negative is that the hotel adds a mandatory $10 per day amenity fee which is extra on top of the Internet room rate. Breakfast consists of toast, rolls, pineapple juice and coffee. They do provide an iHome and game system, and daily paper.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
Aloha, HD_Thoreau.

As I have mentioned previously on this site, we tend to get a lot of comments about our bunk rooms (of which we only have nine). Yes, they ARE smaller than our standard guestrooms. That is why we offer them as our cheapest accomodation alternative, but we have many other larger guestroom types from which to choose.

Sorry you weren't aware of the $10 Amenity Fee. Most hotels in Waikiki charge these fees as a way to package all of the amenity charges into one (much smaller) fee. Trust me, we would make a lot more money if we charged for each of these services individually. But who wants to get charged for every little thing when you are on vacation? Not me.
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed 25 March 2012

Although it's an economical hotel, it's very recomendable. Great location, very clean, very nice the people who works at the front desk. I'll be back!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple