US$ 493
Hotels.com
US$ 378
US$ 309
Savings alert! 10% below average rates

The price you found is 10% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 342/night.

US$ 355
US$ 309
US$ 468
US$ 310
Savings alert! 18% below average rates

The price you found is 18% lower than this hotel's average rate of US$ 377/night.

The Modern Honolulu(Honolulu)
US$ 294
US$ 304
US$ 227
US$ 278
US$ 232
  • Beachfront
All reviewsgreat locationbeach equipmentbudget hotelfarmers marketboogie boardssmall hotellight sleepermini fridgeabc storeshops and restaurantsblockwaikikihawaiihyattkoamatsaloha
Reviewed 14 January 2012

The Staff here is soooooo friendly and accommodating. They ALWAYS (morning, noon or night) greet you with a smile and a warm greeting. The hotel is situated mere steps from the beach, just a bout a block, has it's own parking a garage and other parking garages on the same street if you decide to rent a car. Walk or drive, it is easy to get to any where you want to go. Also in the hote's media/business center there is free use of computers with internet access, where you can also print for free, whether it be yout travel itenerary, driving directions or boarding passes for your flight back home, you can print it for free. they also rent DVD's for free for those nights you want stay in and take it easy. The rooms are minimalist, but modernly decorated. There are nice views from the lanai in each room (balcony) and did I say the staff here is AWESOME! they really are! you almsot feel like family.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 January 2012

I stayed here Dec 24-28 and it was a very good stay! I upgraded to a queen room + sitting area and was pleasantly surprised! Extra space was REALLY nice, wifi access was good, and the wall of windows allowed for a good breeze! Add to it that I was 1 block off the Waikiki strip, and it was a bargain! This hotel works great for 1-2 travelers on a budget!

Drawbacks were few, but the bathroom was small & dated and the cross breeze was best w/ door open.

• Stayed: December 2011
Reviewed 11 January 2012

Know before you go. I would give 2.5 points but rounded down because I was given the runaround. We were hesitant to book anything besides our "regular", well known hotel where we always stay. The STAY WAIKIKI had good deals, was newly renovated, had only few but good reviews, so we gave it a shot. Here's what you need to know before you book, and if you decide to go with it, what to look for when you arrive.

1) The hotel is newly renovated and has a clean feel overall with modern styling elements and contrasty colors. The rooms have wood laminate floors. The baths are tiny. The fixtures are not updated, but are acceptable. In my room when sitting on the bowl, I could rest my chin on the sink. One could see that as a plus, or minus. Showers were completely tiled, which I prefer over silicone sealed plastic tubs. I was wary about the little brown crawling insects after some of the reviews, but did not see ANY in the 9 days I was there.

2) ONLY FLOORS 5 THROUGH 8 have balconies aka Lanais. So if you check in and expect a room with a balcony, make sure it's on floor 5 or higher and explicitely ask for a DELUXE (if that's what you booked). I'd also say from floor 6 and up you get a good view. The hotel is so narrow that it's only one room wide, meaning every entrance is on one side, every window or balcony is on the other (towards Diamond Head).

3) The tricky part is to catch a DELUXE room WITH a lanai. The supply here is limited. We booked a deluxe with lanai explicitly and they gave us a standard with lanai. After pointing this out, they moved us to a deluxe without lanai on floor 4, which we declined - terrible view and no lanai. We eat take-out on our lanai and rely on it. The "booking system did also not allow for predicting when the next deluxe WITH lanai gets available" - really, guys? Really? Well if you can't predict how long a room is taken, then I understand that the reservation system also does not allow for you to RESERVE me a deluxe with lanai, which is what I had booked in the first place. Ok, how stupid do you think I am. It's the age of computers. And luckily, also the age of tripadvisor reviews.

4) The DELUXE rooms are MUCH bigger than the standard. The standard is a shoe box. In the Deluxe you have room to breath. I saw both rooms, and believe me. You want the DELUXE SIZE, WITH lanai.

5) The parking garage is tiny and holds about 8-10 cars with only 2 spots allowing for full size cars or bigger. I'd say one or 2 spots can hold mini vans. I took the small spots with my Chevy Cobalt rental leaving the bigger ones for the minivans and had to maneuver multiple times to get in and out. NO KIDDING. Oh, btw, parking was "full" when we arrived and we were immediately advised that we have to park off site. $8 without in-and-out privileges. They used this as a bargaining chip later though (AHA!) and suddenly parking was available (and complimentary which was very nice, so thanks for this plus).

6) The staff is friendly, absolutely. But they are advised by their management to give you the runaround when it comes to giving you what you booked. I feel for them, but if you don't get your reservation system fixed it will be a returning problem. Again, we did book the DELUXE WITH LANAI and WE DID NOT GET IT. We're still on the phone daily with Expedia to get a refund. What a hassle. Had we known that, we would have gone with our "old" hotel where we know what we get into (which floor, which room, parking, staff etc). Again, friendly staff at the STAY, but the underlying theme was still visible which is giving you the runaround until you give up. If I have a week off, do I want to have a hassle with the front desk FOR TWO THIRDS of my vacation only so that I can get what I booked AND PAID FOR, only two days before I leave? No. And management knows that. Listen, management. Customers have a pretty good antenna for when they are given the runaround. No, I will not recommend this hotel to my friends, because of that.

7) Location is awesome. We saw whales from our lanai and you're right in the middle of things. I do prefer Hawaii in summer though. It's lush, greener, warmer, and smells better with the ginger and plumeria in bloom and the hala fruit falling. Less guava though in summer. It also seems like there are a little less tourists in summer.

8) IT IS LOUD even with closed windows and sliding doors. I had to use ear plugs every night, which was expected and is normal in the middle of the city. If you have been to Waikiki, you know that. If it will be your first time, be advised that you can't escape the sounds of the streets, nighlife, reversing buses, barking. Anywhere except in a high rise building on floors 15 and up (be advised, there you might have helicopter sounds).

Room Tip: Only floors 5 and up have balconies. Only a very limited number of rooms are DELUXE size AND have a balcony. Know that when you check in.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank joojanta
Reviewed 9 January 2012

Very nice hotel. Clean and near everything in waikiki (including beach and crowdy shops and restaurants). A little noisy, but it's not that bad (I'm a really light sleepper and I sleep with earplug). For now, best hotel in waikiki for the price. (but don't know when the price will be higher). Front desk workers are nice and helpful (the ones we have talked to). Highly recommended.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
blanting2, Owner at Stay Hotel Waikiki, responded to this reviewResponded 11 January 2012

Ivv_10,

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. We do try to position ourselves as the best value in Waikiki. Tell your friends!

Reviewed 9 January 2012

I booked 2 rooms with BALCONIES for 2 nights at Stay Hotel, I was given 2 rooms without balconies. When I addressed this issue at the front desk they claimed not to have any available rooms with balconies - hello it's called a RESERVATION!

The hotel staff was clueless about how to resolve this issue and said I would have to check with the manager. I came to the front desk 5 times in the course of 2 days to seek out the ever elusive manager - he never showed up! If you book here, it's a good location, but it's so bare bones that the bathroom's don't even have a mirror! Also hotel website claims to have complimentary breakfast - that's false too!

So basically if you're looking for an uncomfortable motel with non-existent customer service in a great location, this is the place for you!

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel!
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Anna G

Anna,

I am so sorry that you had problems with our hotel during your visit to Waikiki.

You have hit upon a small problem that we have with our reservations booking engine. (This functioned is managed by a third-party company). Currently, when you request a balcony (not all of our rooms have them) at the time of your reservation, we are not able to see that request when the reservation arrives at our property. We are working on resolving this problem. In the meantime, anyone else wishing to request a balcony (or any other special request) is advised to call the property directly. We'll make sure that your requests are honored to the best of our ability.

As for our bathrooms, earlier this month, we discovered that one of our mirrors was missing (not sure where it went...it is too big to fit in a suitcase). We had to have a replacement shipped to us from California. That room should have been taken out of inventory. It shouldn't have been rented to you. I apologize to you for this inconvenience. The problem has now been resolved.

By the way, we do serve a complimentary continental breakfast in our lobby each morning from 7:00 AM to 9:30 AM.