“We've stayed in every tower at the Village and Lagoon is the best”

Hilton Grand Vacations at Hilton Hawaiian Village
Ranked #32 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 2 March 2012

As stated in the "Title" I've stayed in every tower and prefer this "Lagoon" tower. If you're old enough and been at the village in previous years, you know these use to be rentals and then were re-done many years ago. You would never know how old this tower really is by it's appearance. It looks brand new throughout. If you like a private pool with access to all pools then stay in Alii Tower; I read a previous view from someone who downgraded it in comparison to other Hilton Vacation Club properties. I can't compare to other such properties, so my review is only regarding the Hawaiian Village and the over dozen Oahu properties I've stayed. So continuing after Alii Tower, my next favorite would be Rainbow because of views and rooms and ease to pools/restaurants, however the elevators can take a while because of the number of people waiting to get on compared to number of elevators available. The negative reviewer above preferred Kaiia Tower, I personally don't care for Kalia. I consider it along with the Tapa Tower to be more of a businessman's Tower where you don't care about view or the feeling of Hawaii. Diamond Tower is my last choice after other hotels on the island. The Waikikian Vacation Club does not have the many rooms with a view (the one I had was supposed to be partial view, well the view was the top of boat masts in the harbor if I leaned way over the side of the balcony so be aware of "partial" go for the "view" or another tower..in my opinion.
My only disappointment was the car valet because too many times there was only one valet working, so the wait was long.
We were on 6th floor facing Diamond Head/Rainbow Tower which I preferred, which means sitting on our balcony we could face and hear the Luau and special events on the grass area below. Plus a great view of the Friday night fireworks (make sure you find out the time and stick around to watch...it is impressive. There were some palm trees that obstructed view so get 7th floor or higher. Our room was straight off elevator and that was no problem for noise. It was good having TV in both living room and bedroom - cuts down on spouse complaint about program I'm watching or her trying to sleep. Both are nice large flat screens. I am Hilton Diamond member and didn't get upgraded, but I got the room type I paid for and was fortunate because every tower and Hotel was full for at least half my stay (I couldn't get into Hyatt, Marriotts, Astons, etc. because of Presidents Day week-end.
The Gold/Diamond members VIP breakfast is on first floor of Rainbow Tower and is a short, but nice walk. If you like to leave for work after that breakfast you might think using the main valet parking, always well staff and the morning guys run fast and the wait is not too long. There is self parking in garage and sometimes if there is a big event (like the Marine's Ball, etc.) it can be a challenge finding an open spot. The Lagoon/Waikikian is faster to drive into and out of if you're driving down Ala Moana from Airport/Ala Moana shopping center (just turn right after Iliki Hotel at stop light.).
Check in/out desk was fast and well staffed. Bell Desk was fast and well staffed. I had free internet, but that may have been because of my Hilton status, ask when you make reservation, otherwise don't be surprised at $15 or more charge.

Room Tip: 7th Floor or above, Diamond head side
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Seattlebiz

Reviewed 1 March 2012

Four generations of our family stayed in two apartments at the Hilton Grand Vacations Club Lagoon Tower February 19-27th and it was perfect. Not only were the apartments spacious and completely outfitted with all the kitchen supplies we needed, the location could not be beat. It is a 15 minute walk to the crowds and noise of Waikiki beach, so upon returning to the spacious beach, lagoon and landscaped grounds of the Hilton we always felt relaxed and calmed. We rented a car and hit Costco and Safeway to stock up on groceries for the week and the bellmen were most helpful getting all our shopping up to our apartments for a $5.00 flat fee. Obviously they have done this before. Half our group paid less for a Garden View apartment while we paid more for an Ocean View apartment and while our view was gorgeous out over Ala Moana Park and the Harbour, they had a perfect view of the pool for way less money! Same side of the building. The difference as explained by the front desk is that garden view puts you on the lower floors, but for the almost $1000.00 difference I would take that! The Paradise Pool is right beside Lagoon Tower and it is hands down the kids favourite pool, so if you are travelling with kids I would recommend this location, as we could lean over the balcony and tell each other when lunch was ready! The Friday night fireworks were impressive, and the ideal place to stand and watch is anywhere along the edge of the Lagoon.
Before we left I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and was very nervous about cockroaches in the room. Happily, we never saw any in either apartment, where everything was spotless.
One last thing - the Grand Waikikian might be newer and fancier, but it is set back farther from the Lagoon and pool compared to the Lagoon Tower, making it harder to keep track of your kids, and making it louder because of its proximity to the busy Ala Moana boulevard.

Room Tip: Even most garden view rooms have views of the lagoon or pool, if you don't mind the lower floors...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Disneyfan41169
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed in a 2/2 ocean front timeshare with full kitchen. It's not as modern as the grand waikikian: the front door was a little sticky, the dvd player is a playstation, but you can't beat the view. We watched the "green flash" two out of three nights. Although its at one end of waikiki, it's not isolated. We walked along the beachwalk towards Diamond Head, cut through the Sheraton, and reached the international market place in less than half an hour. Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms *66 and *67 are ocean front rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank 4HNLmom
Reviewed 12 February 2012

loved it there so beautiful , the Lagoon is lovely , the rooms are nice with every thing you need,the Pool has a Slide and waterfall which makes it so nice , its just Heaven I Recommend it 10 out of 10

Room Tip: Ask for a High Floor
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank lornauk1
Reviewed 9 February 2012

I love Hawaii. I love O'ahu, Honolulu and Waikiki. I've stayed at the Hilton Hawaiian Village a few times. Rainbow and Kalia towers at the Hilton. Lagoon and Kalia towers at Hilton Grand Vacations. This review is about the Lagoon tower, where I am right now!
I like the HHV, I like the location, I like the rooms (especially the view from the Rainbow tower). I don't eat in the restaurants here (too expensive and better alternatives locally ... like the Wailana Coffee House for breakfast).
This is a busy hotel and even with "status" (I'm a Diamond Hhonors member and an Elite HGVC), there's no chance of an upgrade.
I don't think this hotel, and I'm talking HGVC @ Lagoon tower specifically, is representative of HGVC (and I've stayed at loads of them). The service is NOT friendly, it's not Hawaiian.
This is the second time that they have given me the worst room they could have given me based on what I "paid", and this time they said "I should have contacted them, to remind them, that I'm an HGVC Elite" ... the attitude is wrong here, it's just so untypical of HGVC, of Hilton and of Hawaii.
In future, if I can't book the Kalia tower, I'll stay at Hilton rather than HGVC @ Lagoon tower ... but I do love it in Hawaii, I will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a Lagoon facing room, after all, this is the Lagoon tower.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple