“70 th birthday”

Hilton Grand Vacations at Hilton Hawaiian Village
Ranked #30 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 19 January 2012

Everyone was so good, from the time we checked in until the time we left, whatever we need they were right there, the room was very clean and very relaxing to be in

Room Tip: corner suites, two balancies
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Hilton Grand Vacations at Hilton Hawaiian Village

Reviewed 7 January 2012

This was our 9th consecutive year staying here through the Holidays. We arrived at the Lagoon Towers on 12/22 when our kids arrived in Honolulu. My husband and I had been staying in the Rainbow tower up until then.
We were pleasantly surprised when we saw that the rooms had been updated... modern decor and soothing color palette... VERY NICE!

I enjoy having the full kitchen and while I don't really use it for a lot of cooking, it is wonderful to be able to store snacks and drinks, cereal for quick breakfasts and most importantly... having the opportunity to make a traditional Christmas Eve dinner for our family :)

We travel for 3 weeks so the washer and dryers on each floor are a big plus in our decision to stay here as well. It is family friendly and the staff is always welcoming and eager to assist. We were first given a room that reeked with the smell of cigarettes and they worked hard to move us around... not an easy feat as anyone who has ever visited during this time of year will tell you.

We love the grounds and enjoy walking into the "busier" section of Waikiki and then retreating back into our little section of quiet and calm. The resort is so romantic and in the evenings, it is lit up with so many torches. There is a short but sweet fireworks show every Friday night.

Stop by the Tropics for a drink after the beach... there is usually live entertainment from about 5-ish. The Parahna Brothers Band (not sure of spelling) was awesome and so was Henry Kapono!!!!! Try the Waikiki Cosmo... absolutely delish!

Our only pet peeve... the luau done on the rooftop of the convention center becomes VERY, VERY annoying when you are forced to listen to their show EVERY NIGHT! Even with our lanai doors closed, we could still hear the noise. A bummer since my husband and I love sitting out on the balcony with a glass of wine.

Room Tip: The higher floors have better views and request a room on the Diamond Head side... not the Ilikai ho...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
8  Thank HawaiiGirl08
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stayed in the Lagoon tower in a two bedroom suite. For a family with two collage age kids this was perfect. Nice wide screen TVs, comfortable beds, well equipped kitchen. The only problem is that we were facing away from the lagoon and towards the hotel next door. If we left the window or balcony door open we heard the drone of their giant air conditioners.

This is part of a mega-village with lots of vacationers. Service is where this place fell apart. Lines for everything. We were there during the holidays, so one can kind of make an excuse. There was a long lines for check-in.We went to the concierge to book our Pearl Harbor tour, she said she couldn't help us with that and sent us to the tour desk (but she could sell us a timeshare.) The Tour desk was a long line with only two clerks and a 45 minute wait. PLAN AHEAD! Book before you go and/or directly with providers.

Pros:
Comfortable accommodations and excellent amenities
Beautiful lagoon and beach
Great grounds

Cons:
Poor service and long lines
A long walk to the main action and shops of Waikiki

Room Tip: If you are in the Lagoon Tower, try and get the Lagoon/Ocean side.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Ben60025
Reviewed 18 December 2011

Our family stayed in a two bedroom two bath suite with a full kitchen in the Lagoon Tower. The suite was perfect for our family. Two good sized bedrooms and nice bathrooms. Large living room with 2 good sized balconies. Nice view of the marina. the suite was very clean, no bugs in sight! Nicely furnished, nice thick walls that prevented sound from travelling. Worked great for our family of 5 and allowed us to entertain other family as we were there for a family reunion. Our inlaws had the exact same room 6 floors up and it was the same quality. Pools were nice. Would have liked to have the Lagoon pool heated as it was very chilly water and would have been nice to have a bar and snack bar at that pool. We were there during the entire APEC weekend and yes traffic was bad but we had access to the beach in front of the hotel the entire time. Yes Secret Service was there but did not effect us at all. Hilton did notify us just before our arrival about the traffic but could have done more to help with transportation in and out of the hotel during the weekend.
Yes restaraunts are expensive, that is why we loved having the full kitchen. Nice to have lots of groceries available downstairs in the lobby. Hotel staff was very friendly and checked on us several times to make sure our stay was meeting our expectations.

Overall we had a great time at this resort. Actually better than I expected considering what I had heard about Wakiki being so busy and about the hotel and about the APEC restrictions. We are HHonors members and did not book this through a time share sales office.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank Becky M
Reviewed 7 December 2011

Booked a studio and was appalled upon arrival. For the excessive amount of money charged for what is a Hilton Grand Vacation property, I walked into a tiny room comparative to a Days Inn, with no view, dark, dismal, with no balcony. I literally couldn't find enough floor space to open my suitcase. I immediately called to reception to express my concerns and at first they weren't going to do anything. But I insisted and got upgraded to a better room, a one bedroom. It was in the tower next door, the Grand Waikikian, a "luxury" property. The one bedroom suite was very nice. It had a full kitchen, two bedded bedroom, a big tub, walk-in shower, nice bathroom and a view of a busy intersection and other buildings from its balcony, which I never used, due to the view. Hey, it was an improvement over the studio. I had to switch four days in, and they were going to make me return to the studio. Even though the general manager of the hotel had promised this would not happen. I checked online and they were selling the very room I was staying in on several sites, yet they were telling me one was not available. I refused to return to the studio, and somehow, even though five minutes before I was told by the resort manager it was impossible, they found me a one-bedroom in the Lagoon Tower. After all of the promises and the demonstrations of concern, this made me feel very badly about the management and my treatment. Yes, I was upgraded, but at such a cost? The lagoon tower 1 BR was a big step down from the Grand Waikikian 1 BR, but had all the amenities and a balcony. But for the money, I could have stayed in a luxury resort in the center of Waikiki.

The property itself is huge. There are five or six towers, a mix of Hilton Grand Vacations buildings and the Hilton hotel buildings. It was extremely crowded and not quiet or restful at all. We walked the entire property to find a quiet place away from the crowds and couldn't find a single nook or cranny to get away from it all. If you want quiet luxury, the Halekalani or the Westin would fit the bill, for about the same price or less, and in the center of Waikiki. The Hilton is a 15 minute walk to the center of the action, although there is a shopping mall right on property with restaurants, shops and a mini-mart. There are several restaurants nearby as well that are much less expensive than the onsite choices. Everything is a long walk away. I love to walk so it didn't bother me, but if you have trouble getting around, this is not the place for you.

The gym was 10 minutes walk from the Lagoon tower. There was a largish sized gym mostly filled with aerobics equipment. at 7am, there was not a single machine available. There are about 20 machines for what is probably 2000+ guests. The steam room/sauna area costs $17 per day extra, but gym is free. There is a nice, quiet pool outside the spa. The only quiet pool on property, but with no view and not very lush or pretty.

There are four other pools and a beautiful lagoon area with a beach and a big wading lagoon. Then the beach is right there. You couldn't ask for a better spot on the beach. If you want a chair or an umbrella, you'll have to pay $30 for the umbrella and $15 per chair. You can lay on the beach for free. The big pool has lots of available chairs, but there is no shade from the sun by mid-day. There are no umbrellas at any of the pools and escaping the sun became a problem. The lagoon pool is very shady, but small and packed with kids. The lagoon pool is very pretty. Get there early to snag a chair.

To use the pools, you have to wear an armband and use cards to claim towels. Lose the cards and its $10 per card. When I got the towels the guy said he didn't care about the wristbands. He only cared about the cards, so I never wore my wristband again. There are two beach bar restaurants by the main pool and they are both very nice, not ridiculously priced and offer happy hours in the afternoon.

The shopping area within the resort grounds is really nice and there are lots of good restaurant choices. But the main drag in Waikiki, a $6 cab ride, is awesome for all that. Amazing shopping, every high end brand you can think of, four Coach stores alone. Great restaurants, beautiful hotels and hotel bars. Lots of fun.

Staying at the HIlton was not peaceful at all. It is a city unto itself with thousands of tourists roaming around, its own traffic, and nasty patrolmen. But if you like a place that is full of life, exciting in many ways, then you might like the Hilton.

Room Tip: DO NOT BOOK A STUDIO IN THE LAGOON TOWER. You will hate it. Very small, no view, no balcony, mini-ki...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple