Koko Crater Challenge

Book in advance
from
$40.00
per adult
Check availabilityView full product details

Ways to Experience Koko Crater Railway Trail
from $40.00
from $170.95
from $250.00
2,577 results
All reviews railroad ties bring water take your time coming down great workout tough hike diamond head sense of accomplishment hanauma bay great hike lots of water decent shape steep incline worth the effort hawaii kai watch your step catch your breath
Selected filters
Reviewed 31 July 2022 via mobile

I thought I was reasonably fit, but boy did this hike put me in my place! It's really just a seemingly endless set of steps formed by old railway planks which become quite steep in certain sections. And there's no shade! Bring lots of water and don't forget to wear sunscreen. Also don't do as I did and eat a heavy breakfast before coming here. I nearly threw up! The views are second to none up top and make the climb worth it.

Date of experience: February 2022
Reviewed 18 July 2022

This is a very unique hiking experience. Its a steep and sometimes near vertical railway from WWII that leads to the top of Koko Head. There is a spooky bridge over a ravine that may be too much for some hikers, but there is a bypass that you can safely take. Bring water, there is no water at the trail and there is also no shade. I think opinions on this hike are split, but I was glad we did it.

Date of experience: July 2022
Reviewed 18 July 2022

My 11yo daughter and I did Koko Head in June ‘22.

This is a nice “hike” to start out a day full of activities in Hawaii. It is a workout more than a hike as it is nothing more than a steep step-climb up an abandoned Army rail line up a mountain.

Due to limited parking and working out in cooler temps, I recommend going by 7:30am…we arrived at 6:30am and the parking lot was almost half full on a Monday morning.

The walk from the parking area to the first rail step at the foot of the mountain is approx 0.5mi. From there, the actual climb is approx another 0.5mi to the top. The first 0.30mi is reasonably steep and will fatigue you as most people likely pace poorly here…this is important because the last 0.20mi becomes even steeper just when your legs, butt and lungs are “feeling” it.

Many people simply sit on a rail or stand along the side to rest - be careful not to block access though.

The top is a small area where you can take in the views and catch your breath. It’s a short climb, but not an easy one, so take your time and pace well.

Date of experience: June 2022
1  Thank lagunabridge
Reviewed 11 July 2022 via mobile

We were turned away at Diamond Head because we didn't have a registration # & what a blessing! If your like me, and you revel in a short, challenging and unique hike with a fantastic view... Then this is for you! Old railway track that was used to transport amo/equipment up the mountain offers the uniqueness. We climbed up in 30 min. including time for pics. I would recommend this hike to people who are not in great aerobic shape... Take your time & you'll eventually make it.

Date of experience: July 2022
Reviewed 28 June 2022 via mobile

This is not a cake walk. This trail is intense, steep and not 100% safe. Said that, if you are willing, I would recommend 100% for you to go. The views are just incredible and the sense of “accomplishment” it’s kind o nice.
This is not an official trail, and they recommend you go at your own risk. The rails are not maintained and it really quite steep.

Date of experience: June 2022