“Retro old hawaii”
Review of Breakers Hotel

Breakers Hotel
Ranked #66 of 84 Hotels in Honolulu
Reviewed 15 April 2012

This is a little old fashioned hotel hidden among the huge hotels like Trump tower. If you want hotels with all the modern fancy amenities, fine go for it. However if you want a taste of Hawaii as how it was like in the "old days", this is the hotel for you. Granted, it's older and not shiny and fancy but the rooms are clean ( i heard some of the rooms have been refurbished) and there is definitely a feel of aloha here. The staff treat you like family and the place is small enough to get to know the other guests. Some of them come here several times a year. There is a pool under the shade of a huge tree, a Japanese restaurant on property- pretty good I might add, and 2 cute cats that greet the guests. It's two stories without an elevator so make sure you can manage your luggage up the stairs. Walking distance to the beach. The best part of it is the aloha you get from from staff and housekeeping people. Nowadays, that's rare.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
12  Thank Wina G
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 29 March 2012

This little gem next half a block from the ocean is just brimming with Aloha spirit and retro delight. From the moment I booked through their website and spoke with Debbie I was made to feel welcome. I was joining friends who had booked separately, we arrived during a rainstorm and were greeted by a smiling Colleen who had us quickly in our rooms, thoughtfully across from each other. My room was lovely, think 1960s charm, with 2012 comforts, sheets crisp and clean a cute little stainless kitchette, a wonderful Lanai, lots of wood finishings but with plenty of lighting for those of us with not so good eyes. The pool was always sparkling clean and as most guests were more mature you could count on courteous companions. The frontstaff were always ready to help, the location perfect, restaurants abound, ABC store for groceries across street. I cant say enough good things about this lovely place, no wonder some guests have been coming here over 30 years. When I left I received a beautiful hula from Colleen and a fresh and wonderfully fragrant lei as a gift, its an honor to stay here.

Room Tip: Some rooms have lanais, and its a plus
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
9  Thank Shawniganlake
Reviewed 28 March 2012

I've stayed here several times over the years and will continue to return simply because you can't beat the price and the location.My chief complaint is that the room I was in (134 I believe) is badly in need of some updating and if not that at least a deep cleaning.When I first entered I wasn't sure I wanted to walk barefoot.The carpeting is beyond cleaning and quite simply needs to be replaced.There are louvered closet doors that are so filled with dust and grime that they border on gross.The wallpaper is horribly outdated and shows it's age.
Aside from the room, the staff and all the guests are incredibly friendly.The hotel provides free wifi which is avail as you sit around the pool..quite nice.All I can really say is that it's time to put some money into this place and spruce it up.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
6  Thank butchpSt_PaulMn
Reviewed 26 February 2012

Small hotel less than a block from Waikiki Beach. Staff is very friendly and accommodating. Room was clean and adequate. Not a lot of frills, but we didn't come to Hawaii to stay in a hotel room. Leaving the key with the desk clerk turned out to be actually good. The staff gets to know you, and you them, plus they know who's there. I have to state that it was the first time in ages that I had seen a TV with a channel dial and knobs, but it worked fine. If we go back, this hotel will certainly higher on list than the mega-hotels like the Hilton or the Hyatt.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Phaidraigh
Reviewed 5 February 2012

We stayed at Breakers in March, 2011, but I forgot to write a review. It is a two story hotel less than a block from the beach, with a pool in the courtyard area. There is a reception desk at the entrance where you leave your key when you leave the property. We liked this feature because that way they know who's coming and going. I believe it is family-owned and we met many return guests. It is older but well kept. Our room was upstairs and had a nice lanai with 2 chairs and a table, a kitchen with mini frig, toaster, etc. It is quiet, the rooms and grounds are clean, and the staff is very friendly. There are no elevators, so you can just walk right up to your room. There is coffee next to the pool in the morning. There are 2 resident kitties who stay near the reception desk. When we checked out they presented us with beautiful, fresh flower lei's for our return trip home, plus we got a Christmas card from them with a photo of the staff. Some nice, personal touches from a charming little hotel.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends