We stayed at Grand Waikikian Suites for a few days in March 2012. Honestly we are disappointed. Let me write cons and pros below:
(1) When we checked in, we were told that they only have a room with full beds. When I told her that I reserved a room with a King size bed, she just told me "That was your request. We didn't have a room." She even did not tell us sorry! I definitely did not like the stuck-up attitude of this black long-haired Japanese-looking lady at the reception.
(2) Moreover, right after we checked in, we were taken to "Concierge," who explained us the amenities of the vast complex. But there was a true reason why the Concierge had to explain this to us, instead of the stuck-up lady at the reception. They want to sell their condos to customers! This hotel is basically a condo/time share, and rents rooms when they cannot fill the room with time share. Therefore, whenever a hotel guest shows up, they want to sell their condo to us! The Concierge lady even asked my annual salary (to see whether I qualify for their credit I suppose)! I wasted like 30 minutes for this crap before we finally checked into our room!
(3) It is a part of the huge Hilton Hawaiian Village (sharing with other Hilton hotels). This implies that, even though you might be paying much more than a typical Hilton hotel in Waikiki, all the pools and stores are shared with guests from other Hiltons. Basically, a lot of family and kids. It was impossible to find a chair on the pool side. You probably paid like 400+ per night, but you end up sharing everything except for the room with people paying like 150-200.
(4) Parking is not connected to the hotel, and you need to walk a long walk. If you choose to use valet, you wait 15 min to get your car instead of walking for 10 min.
(5) Staff are not used for hotel guests. When I asked what time the beds are made, I was told "we clean up the room every once a week. You need to pay for more." The truth is, for a hotel guest, they do bed making every day, but many staff don't remember that, it seems.
(6) The bed (two full size instead of one king) is one of the worst that i have ever had in a decent hotel. My hip sank like 5 inches. Unless you sleep n the edge of the bed, you suffer this sinking... Both my girlfriend and i suffered a back pain. It is unacceptable for a decently priced hotel.
(7) I wish they had salt, pepper, and some basic stuff in the kitchen. You need to buy everything!
(8) They have a lot of restaurants and bars, but all are sort of disappointing. They are what you should expect from 200-per-night hotel for large tourist groups.
(1) It's a condo. You have a full kitchen. If you don't want to waste money for not-so-great food in Waikiki (compared with Tokyo or NY), you can cook yourself!
(2) The room is huge, equipped with DVD players (there is a free DVD rental service for guests), PS3, and iPhone-compatible stereo. If you like the feel of living, you'll be happy.
(3) There are a lot of pools and an artificial lagoon, although the temperature of all are definitely below the ocean (it was cold!)
(4) It's conveniently located, in the middle between Ala Moana Shopping center, and Galleria DFS. Both are sort of walking distance (we drove).
At the end, if you want a kitchen, but don't care about a lot of crowded pools or not being on the beach, Trump is a much much better option for possibly similar prices. If you don't care about kitchen, well, there is no reason to choose this hotel. Choose some suite room in one of the smaller but better-graded hotels. I recommend Halekulani but it's a bit pricy. But there are other options, too, in Waikiki.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations is located on the grounds of the Hilton Hawaiian Village. This 38-story tower heralds a new era of elegance in the oceanfront paradise of Waikiki, a Hawaii destination of romance and dreams, of cultures and cuisines. With the surrounding Hawaiian Village at your doorstep, you can dine in over 20 restaurants and lounges, find that perfect souvenir, or enjoy a wide variety of activities the whole family will enjoy. Enjoy six swimming pools including the new Paradise Pool at Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations. Accommodations include one and two bedroom suites. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hilton Hotels Direct, Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Grand Waikikian by Hilton Grand Vacations reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Waikikian Suites By Hilton Grand Vacations Hotel Honolulu
- Hilton Hotels Honolulu
- Hilton Hotel Honolulu
- Grand Waikikian By Hilton Grand Vacations Honolulu, Hawaii