“Excellent B&B, hosts, location and rooms”

Samuel Durfee House
Ranked #8 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 November 2011

I recently stayed at the Samuel Durfee House for two nights and was very impressed. The rooms were clean and comfortable (including new linens) and the bathrooms modern and bright. Breakfasts were ample in the communal breakfast room and tea/coffee was also available in the afternoon along with cookies/treats. The location is right in the heart of Newport so an easy walk to the bars/restaurants in town as well as quick walk/drive to the Newport Mansions. For the price paid we felt the Samuel Durfee House outstripped its competitors.

Room Tip: Ida Lewis room had a lovely balcony that caught the sun in the morning. Lovely for some fresh air.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank AnimalsonTour
3beachgoers, Owner at Samuel Durfee House, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2011

We greatly appreciate your kind words of your stay at the Samuel Durfee House. We strive to provide guests a nice place to stay at a fair price. We hope that you enjoyed the rest of your travels! We hope to see you again one day!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 2 November 2011

My husband and I had a very comfortable stay here recently. Our room was on the first floor and so quiet we couldn't tell that there were other guests and the place was completely booked.

The breakfasts were very good and huge. The innkeepers are very personable and had great recommendations for our visit. It really helped to have a little inside info on some places. We enjoyed every one of the recommendations that they offered.

The location is perfect to walk to all of the downtown area.

5  Thank Izzy214Burlington_NJ
3beachgoers, Owner at Samuel Durfee House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 November 2011

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and our recommendations! Thanks for sharing your experience with others and if you travel through this are again, we hope that you will return!

Reviewed 1 November 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our 10th wedding anniversary. The room was so comfortable, it was the perfect combination of cozy and romantic with modern amenities. We had a flat screen TV in out room and a beautiful deck out the side. The owners are so nice and the breakfast were amazing. This B&B is in the perfect location. You can walk to all of the major attractions and restaurants and they have a very nice lot for your car. Ours didn't move the entire weekend. I would absolutely stay here again on my next visit to Newport!

Room Tip: I can't remember the name - it was the something Louise. It was the red room - totally romantic...
6  Thank AtownMama
3beachgoers, Owner at Samuel Durfee House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

Congratulations on your 10th anniversary! We greatly appreciate you choosing the Samuel Durfee House for your celebration and your taking time to share your experience with others! The room you stayed in was the Ida Lewis Room-keep it in mind for your next visit!

Reviewed 11 October 2011

This is the quintisential B&B. A Stylish home looking the part- clean, antique looking with creaking floors and beautiful china. Heather and Mike are friendly hosts and helpful sat where to go and see. We ate at Scales and Shells restaurant one night-highly reccmend. The Pier restaurant we also ate at-just three blocks away on the water- also good but not as great. The location was terrific-central but away from tacky Thames street shops-you can walk almost anywhere.

• Stayed: October 2011
6  Thank Richfe
3beachgoers, Owner at Samuel Durfee House, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2011

Thank you for your review! We are glad that our downtown location was so convenient for your stay and that you appreciated our historic house. We hope that you will return!

Reviewed 5 October 2011

I did a LOT of research months prior to our stay, so even though by the time our trip had arrived I couldn't recall why I'd selected this particular inn, all the reasons quickly became apparent: well-appointed rooms, convenient location, great value, amiable hosts, delicious breakfasts and a quiet night.

My impression is that you cannot go wrong with any of the rooms, though I specifically requested a room in the back for myself and my parents, given that I'm a light sleeper. My husband and I stayed in the Jackie O room. It may be the smallest bedroom, though I didn't see them all, but it was still perfectly adequate for our needs. When we arrived the Doris Duke room at the back of the house was also free, so Heather offered that room to us as well; although the room itself was larger and even more solidly the back of the house than the Jackie O, the bathroom was smaller and had less natural light. We stuck with the Jackie. The bed was soft and comfortable (we like something with a bit more stiffness but that's getting picky!), the mini-fridge kept snacks and drinks cool, and each of us had a small bedside table for drinks/books. I could barely hear the cars on the street from the back, and each room came equipped with a "sound generator" just in case you sleep best to the sound of crickets or waterfalls. :) I had plenty of space in the bathroom for brushes, makeup, straightener, etc. My parents stayed in the Ida Lewis room and loved their room as well, which included a spacious bathroom and a small porch large enough for the four of us to enjoy some cheese and wine together.

Michael is an excellent chef, and I only regret that we came a day too late for his French toast (which I here is big in RI?) Breakfasts were delicious and always included coffee, juice choices (orange, grapefruit, cranberry, tomato), bread (banana, pumpkin, lemon-poppy seed, etc.), chopped fresh fruit and an entree (i.e., ham and cheese omelette, waffle with berry topping, spinach fritatta), typically with a side of bacon or sausage and some potatoes. One type of entree per morning, though they do always ask whether this is "okay" and were happy make adjustments, at least slightly, as on one morning they made my omelette without ham. There is also cereal available. Breakfast is served from 8:30-10am and everyone enjoys it at one big table plus one table for two in the cozy breakfast room.

Free parking, though much is within walking distance. We sprung for a package, which included 3 mansions, a winery tour (we didn't make it to that!) and the Tennis Museum. I thought the package was well worth the price (though Heather mentioned the price had increased since I'd purchased it.)

What stuck out most to me was the friendliness and hospitality of our hosts, Michael and Heather, and their son. I was under the weather the entire time so I'm sure not entirely cheery, but that didn't affect their upbeat attitudes. They were happy to converse and offer suggestions on anything from activities to transportation to dining.

PS Tea, coffee and chilled water are always available. Snacks provided every afternoon (pretzels, crackers, etc. + a homemade treat). The sugar cookies are delicious!!

7  Thank tmichellea
3beachgoers, Owner at Samuel Durfee House, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2011

It was nice to see family traveling together. We are glad to hear you had such a great time with your parents in Newport and at our inn (and that you enjoyed the breakfasts and afternoon refreshments so much). We really appreciate your kind comments. We have put so much of ourselves into the inn, and it is nice to see that people enjoy our B&B. Your detailed descriptions in your reviews of what we provide will be very helpful for future guests. Sorry your parents could not find the screen for their window (it was on the top self of the closet and has since been moved to an easier to find location). We hope to see you again!