“Wonderful weekend away from the kids!”

Samuel Durfee House
Ranked #11 of 95 Newport B&B and Inns
Arlington, Massachusetts
“Wonderful weekend away from the kids!”
Reviewed 1 November 2011

My husband and I stayed here for our 10th wedding anniversary. The room was so comfortable, it was the perfect combination of cozy and romantic with modern amenities. We had a flat screen TV in out room and a beautiful deck out the side. The owners are so nice and the breakfast were amazing. This B&B is in the perfect location. You can walk to all of the major attractions and restaurants and they have a very nice lot for your car. Ours didn't move the entire weekend. I would absolutely stay here again on my next visit to Newport!

Room Tip: I can't remember the name - it was the something Louise. It was the red room - totally romantic...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank AtownMama
3beachgoers, Owner at Samuel Durfee House, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
Congratulations on your 10th anniversary! We greatly appreciate you choosing the Samuel Durfee House for your celebration and your taking time to share your experience with others! The room you stayed in was the Ida Lewis Room-keep it in mind for your next visit!
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Reviewed 11 October 2011

This is the quintisential B&B. A Stylish home looking the part- clean, antique looking with creaking floors and beautiful china. Heather and Mike are friendly hosts and helpful sat where to go and see. We ate at Scales and Shells restaurant one night-highly reccmend. The Pier restaurant we also ate at-just three blocks away on the water- also good but not as great. The location was terrific-central but away from tacky Thames street shops-you can walk almost anywhere.

• Stayed October 2011
6 Thank Richfe
3beachgoers, Owner at Samuel Durfee House, responded to this review, 17 October 2011
Thank you for your review! We are glad that our downtown location was so convenient for your stay and that you appreciated our historic house. We hope that you will return!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I did a LOT of research months prior to our stay, so even though by the time our trip had arrived I couldn't recall why I'd selected this particular inn, all the reasons quickly became apparent: well-appointed rooms, convenient location, great value, amiable hosts, delicious breakfasts and a quiet night.

My impression is that you cannot go wrong with any of the rooms, though I specifically requested a room in the back for myself and my parents, given that I'm a light sleeper. My husband and I stayed in the Jackie O room. It may be the smallest bedroom, though I didn't see them all, but it was still perfectly adequate for our needs. When we arrived the Doris Duke room at the back of the house was also free, so Heather offered that room to us as well; although the room itself was larger and even more solidly the back of the house than the Jackie O, the bathroom was smaller and had less natural light. We stuck with the Jackie. The bed was soft and comfortable (we like something with a bit more stiffness but that's getting picky!), the mini-fridge kept snacks and drinks cool, and each of us had a small bedside table for drinks/books. I could barely hear the cars on the street from the back, and each room came equipped with a "sound generator" just in case you sleep best to the sound of crickets or waterfalls. :) I had plenty of space in the bathroom for brushes, makeup, straightener, etc. My parents stayed in the Ida Lewis room and loved their room as well, which included a spacious bathroom and a small porch large enough for the four of us to enjoy some cheese and wine together.

Michael is an excellent chef, and I only regret that we came a day too late for his French toast (which I here is big in RI?) Breakfasts were delicious and always included coffee, juice choices (orange, grapefruit, cranberry, tomato), bread (banana, pumpkin, lemon-poppy seed, etc.), chopped fresh fruit and an entree (i.e., ham and cheese omelette, waffle with berry topping, spinach fritatta), typically with a side of bacon or sausage and some potatoes. One type of entree per morning, though they do always ask whether this is "okay" and were happy make adjustments, at least slightly, as on one morning they made my omelette without ham. There is also cereal available. Breakfast is served from 8:30-10am and everyone enjoys it at one big table plus one table for two in the cozy breakfast room.

Free parking, though much is within walking distance. We sprung for a package, which included 3 mansions, a winery tour (we didn't make it to that!) and the Tennis Museum. I thought the package was well worth the price (though Heather mentioned the price had increased since I'd purchased it.)

What stuck out most to me was the friendliness and hospitality of our hosts, Michael and Heather, and their son. I was under the weather the entire time so I'm sure not entirely cheery, but that didn't affect their upbeat attitudes. They were happy to converse and offer suggestions on anything from activities to transportation to dining.

PS Tea, coffee and chilled water are always available. Snacks provided every afternoon (pretzels, crackers, etc. + a homemade treat). The sugar cookies are delicious!!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank tmichellea
3beachgoers, Owner at Samuel Durfee House, responded to this review, 12 October 2011
It was nice to see family traveling together. We are glad to hear you had such a great time with your parents in Newport and at our inn (and that you enjoyed the breakfasts and afternoon refreshments so much). We really appreciate your kind comments. We have put so much of ourselves into the inn, and it is nice to see that people enjoy our B&B. Your detailed descriptions in your reviews of what we provide will be very helpful for future guests. Sorry your parents could not find the screen for their window (it was on the top self of the closet and has since been moved to an easier to find location). We hope to see you again!
oh
Reviewed 4 October 2011

When we arrived at the Inn, Michael came out to greet us and help with our luggage. He offered a tour of the downstairs and gave a detailed description of their schedule and how things worked; he was very helpful with suggestions and answering any questions.
Our room was very clean, the bed was most comfortable, many extras provided - beach towels, sound machine, robes. We had a nice deck outside of our room where we sat with a glass of local wine and cheese - Michael immediately brought 2 extra chairs for the deck since our daughter and her husband were staying at the Inn also.
The breakfasts were huge and always very good - coffee, choice of many juices, a different sweet bread each day, fruit, and main breakfast entree (French Toast, Belgium waffle with berries, crepe-wrapped omelet). Then an afternoon treat in the library such as brownies, cookies etc.
The location is perfect - close enough to walk to the harbor area, the shops on Thames, the CVS, grocery and liquor stores behind us one block; we also walked to the Cliff Walk, Tennis Hall of Fame, and Mansions. Free parking in a private lot behind the Inn - we used our rental car once - to go out to dinner at Tuckers. Spring Street does have traffic but is a single, one-way road so not as busy as Thames - we never heard it at night.
And Heather is a sweetheart - always friendly and offered to pack a breakfast when we had to leave early for a flight.
Our only suggestion is maybe adding screens to the windows so we could open them for fresh air.
Wonderful B & B!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
7 Thank bdaOh
Los Angeles
Reviewed 23 September 2011

I love doing travel research and ended up choosing the SDH based on their pricing, location and reviews. Well, I've just recently returned home and I must say that the SDH is a wonderful Inn. The Innkeepers Michael and Heather are very hospitable and their Inn is just lovely, and to top things off it's in a great location with easy parking. I stayed in the Harrison Suite and it was perfect. I would recommend this Inn to anyone and would stay here again myself.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
7 Thank jmarie254
, Owner at Samuel Durfee House, responded to this review, 26 September 2011
We too love to research when we are planning to travel! We are thrilled you chose the "SDH" for your trip to sail and visit family in Newport. We hope to see you again next time you travel to the east coast!